• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Matt Doherty

How much for The Gloves?

• Total voters
There are very few people who think that Doherty is regularly the worst player on the pitch!

He definitely was when he played as a full back. He was unspeakably awful.

We have found a way to cover his multiple weaknesses, I'd rather we just sign someone better.

I'd rather we just sign someone better.

So would I! I'm not disputing that, i'm disputing the claim that Doc isn't Championship standard, that seems ridiculous, he is ever present in a side that are romping the league.

So would I! I'm not disputing that, i'm disputing the claim that Doc isn't Championship standard, that seems ridiculous, he is ever present in a side that are romping the league.

He isn't a Championship standard full back. No way.

If we were playing a back four and he started every game at right back then we wouldn't be top of the league. Have you forgotten how many goals we used to leak down there...

As you rightly say I have plenty of evidence to back this claim up :) He has a very specific niche here. You mention Victor Moses - he won't attract much interest from elsewhere if Chelsea let him go (not as a RWB anyway) because he only really fits into that team.

It means the system works well. Adding more top drawer players to the squad has got us winning the league not the sheer averagness of Matt Doherty.

Lipstick Darren played 117 times for us, he was shit for at least 100 of them and we got to the play offs 50% of the time he was here.

Doherty is better than Douglas but just has terrible delivery. He is better at defending (not a high bar, Baz is woeful), quicker, stronger, better in the air, better engine. He hasn’t been bad this year, he hasn’t been good. He’s been functional. The WBs are our weakest areas on both sides. But we get away with it because we have 3 or 4 CL players playing for us.

Doherty's penchant for pulling an 'I'm dead hard' face on every photo taken of him should double his price.

This was way better from him tonight. Defended properly, actually put in a couple of very good crosses, didn't waste possession constantly. That is the standard. He has to realise he can't afford to drop below that.

Loved the way he got past Anita in the first half. Did very well tonight - keep it up, Matt!

Yep hammered him a fair bit recently but he was at it tonight and that cross deserved a goal from Jota in the first half.

Jota was probably shocked it didn't go out for a throw, maybe ;)

Loved the way he got past Anita in the first half. Did very well tonight - keep it up, Matt!

Yes but Anita's not really a very good FB - still Doherty played well tonight & took up positions that should have been recognised by others

Crossing was an improvement on previous games as well

Big job for him and Batth on Sunday to look after Grealish. Think I'd be bringing Bennett back in.

Grealish has been playing centrally with Adomah and Snodgrass wide.

For Villa I would play to our strengths. Accept that they are going to get some chances but have confidence in our own attacking and creative ability. You can pick individuals to suit but I would not want us to change our style of play. The pressure is on Villa. The best way to heap more pressure on is to score and score early. Doherty going forward is better than Doherty going back!

Fair play to Doherty last night he was excellent. Afforded time and space against Anita but he had to do something with it and on most occasions he did and had really good end product.

DXw_dQdVAA0GYTr.jpg

In the Ireland squad. Though as standard, they have named an obscene number of players, including Colin Doyle (now nearly 33 and playing in League One).

With Coleman back he's now third choice at best to play at RB (I don't imagine they'll switch to wingbacks any time soon, even if they have called up 13 defenders for some reason) so I don't know why they bother. Give him a ring when you have a gap for him and you might actually use him.

If I had an Irish passport I'd have a chance of getting a game up front by the look of it.

Silly amount of players in that squad, 4 keepers ffs (although I'm sure our mate Gareth has done this recently too) Real lack of options up top for them though

Back