• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Matt Doherty

How much for The Gloves?

• Total voters
It's hard to get any assist stats because we rarely have many people in the box to cross to. His job is to try and commit defenders and then give it to our better attackers to exploit that space.

He'd be 5th in my POTS as it stands behind Jota, Neves, Boly and Cav.

Ridiculous levels of hatred on this forum, he's no superstar, but Doherty has been key as to how our formation has got us where we are this season.

I don't hate him at all, I just think he's a mediocre player and I'd like us to improve on him, which I think goes without saying if we get promoted. He's not the only one I think should be replaced, but this is a thread about Doherty.

How many assists does he have btw? I can think of Burton away (last goal I think) and Bristol away (won the free kick when GK got sent off).

He must have a couple more?

It's hard to get any assist stats because we rarely have many people in the box to cross to. His job is to try and commit defenders and then give it to our better attackers to exploit that space.

He'd be 5th in my POTS as it stands behind Jota, Neves, Boly and Cav.

Ha ha, I laughed so much, my ribs hurt.

What about when he stares and watches as an attacker runs at our defence? What about when he is the poor pass/touch that breaks down our play and he then trots back looking at the floor? Is that key to our formation? Or is it key to opponents chances, key to when to break for the opponents on their left side?

Saying this and I still think he's worth 4m to some crack pot to probably play as a RB.

Deutsch is right; he really isn't worth much at all.

But the transfer market is batshit mental, it could easily happen that some idiot pays 3 million plus for him.

Yes he has...Just imagine if he could cross a ball too without ballooning it out for a throw in on the far side of the pitch 9 times out of 10

Given that we very rarely cross the ball (other than for set pieces) it's amazing how often people go on about this.

Deutsch is right; he really isn't worth much at all.

But the transfer market is batshit mental, it could easily happen that some idiot pays 3 million plus for him.

One should never underestimate the idiocy of some Managers when it comes to what we could get on sale for him!

Wouldn't want him in the Premier & it shouldn't be that hard to find a better back up player than him either - his resale value will be at its highest potential at the end of this season - will be all downhill from then on

Given that we very rarely cross the ball (other than for set pieces) it's amazing how often people go on about this.

So you have never seen him smash a ball too high and too long, too short, hit the first man, just generally fuck up?

I have, loads. Several times in the last couple of games, in fact.

My point...He is such a frustrating player and if German Phil hadn't been ready for the glue factory when we signed him, Doc wouldn't have plated much this season at all

With 0 competition.

He's played by default with immunity since Scott Golbourne was sold. Since then he played in just about every game.

By your rationale Dicko was a competent Championship striker because he's played at this level for a few years, regardless of the fact he's only scored 3 goals last season and 5 this.

Nuno who i'm sure we all agree is a good manager, got rid of the dross (Saville, Bod, Edwards, Dicko) and yet kept Doc as he felt he had enough quality for us to maintain a promotion push, he has been proven exactly right, Nuno has had 2 windows to sign some one he felt was better and hasn't.

Nuno has had 2 windows to sign some one he felt was better.

Obviously his initial plan was Doc and German Silvio competing for the spot but that went to shit after 3 days of training. As you say, if Nuno didn't rate him we would have got someone else, certainly in January. Although we should have got someone in as we are an injury away from having to put a player who shouldn't be at RWB.

Nuno who i'm sure we all agree is a good manager, got rid of the dross (Saville, Bod, Edwards, Dicko) and yet kept Doc as he felt he had enough quality for us to maintain a promotion push, he has been proven exactly right, Nuno has had 2 windows to sign some one he felt was better and hasn't.

He signed German Phil in his first window.

The only signing not to work out.

We don't know if we were or weren't in for a full back in January. We don't know if he was but clubs knowing our combined wealth and position depth were trying to bleed us dry ala Locadia

He signed German Phil in his first window.

The only signing not to work out.

We don't know if we were or weren't in for a full back in January. We don't know if he was but clubs knowing our combined wealth and position depth were trying to bleed us dry ala Locadia

And you don't know that Nuno didn't just think Doc is good enough. Either way, we are top of the league and Doc has played every (?) league game, so Doc IS good enough and therefore a competent Champ player.

I don't think Doherty is amazing but I'd say he is abused a bit too much on here. I'm sure we'd get £2m for him, wouldn't be surprised if it was more.

That said, he'll stay as cover next season.

Back