• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Matt Doherty

How much for The Gloves?

• Total voters
And yet he has been playing for a competent Championship team for a few years now, surely he is the very definition of exactly that?

Djimi Traore has a Champions League winners' medal.

You have seen him play, you know very well he cannot defend.

Of course he has his limitations, the same as virtually everyone in the squad. He certainly isn't as bad as some people make out.

And you don't know that Nuno didn't just think Doc is good enough. Either way, we are top of the league and Doc has played every (?) league game, so Doc IS good enough and therefore a competent Champ player.

I think we are top of the league despite Doc not because of him.

I don't think Doherty is amazing but I'd say he is abused a bit too much on here. I'm sure we'd get £2m for him, wouldn't be surprised if it was more.

That said, he'll stay as cover next season.

No-one on here has 'abused' him as far as I know, just discussing our opinion of him as a player.

I've not looked at Doc this season and thought 'fuck me he's shit, get him off ' and I sit at WL8 so see him close up often.

I have thought that numerous times about Douglas though.

Beyond "he is in the team and we are good", any chance of enlightening us on what it is that he actually does?

As stated by others he wouldn't be in the team if German Phil had an ankle.

Djimi Traore has a Champions League winners' medal.

You have seen him play, you know very well he cannot defend.

He can't but neither can Victor Moses, he won the league playing there last season, as you've said the position suits him, he has largely played well this season, he deserves praise not ridicule for how he has performed this season.

I also think there will be a lot more Championship teams next season who play 343 it usually takes a season or two for tactics to filter down the leagues, so as a result there may be more potential buyers than we'd expect.

He can't but neither can Victor Moses, he won the league playing there last season, as you've said the position suits him, he has largely played well this season, he deserves praise not ridicule for how he has performed this season.

I also think there will be a lot more Championship teams next season who play 343 it usually takes a season or two for tactics to filter down the leagues, so as a result there may be more potential buyers than we'd expect.

You quoted my post saying "he is not a competent Championship defender" or words to that effect :) He is not. He does not play as a defender in this formation.

I don't think 3-4-3 will become mainstream and even if it did most teams would need their wingbacks to defend way more than we ask of ours. We did ask Doc to do it at Craven Cottage, he was awful and passed on responsibility constantly to the right sided centre half.

You quoted my post saying "he is not a competent Championship defender" or words to that effect :) He is not. He does not play as a defender in this formation.

I don't think 3-4-3 will become mainstream and even if it did most teams would need their wingbacks to defend way more than we ask of ours. We did ask Doc to do it at Craven Cottage, he was awful and passed on responsibility constantly to the right sided centre half.

Well i'm taking it literally, he has started over a hundred games in the Championship as a defender, so surely by that alone he is a competent Championship defender?
Cassidy started around 10 and then was farmed off to the lower leagues because he wasn't a competent Championship striker, likewise with the likes of Dan Jones, Gobern, etc in the past, they didn't sustain getting picked in this division, Doherty has.

How many games has Dave Edwards played at this level?

But we all know he's a League One player. Hal Robson-Kanu has played 40 (and counting) Premier League games for West Brom, added to 25 at that level for Reading. Doesn't make him a Premier League striker.

Doherty has been in the team by default, he hasn't been keeping anyone of note out at any point since December 2015. We sold our only left back in the middle of 2015/16 and didn't replace him so he played there, he beat Cameron Borthwick-Jackson who evidently has issues in 2016/17 (still got dropped for George Saville at one point) and we have no other right wing back now.

Beyond "he is in the team and we are good", any chance of enlightening us on what it is that he actually does?

As stated by others he wouldn't be in the team if German Phil had an ankle.

No-one can really know who'd win out between Doherty and the German ghost, doubt anyone on this board has every even seen him play? For all we know he could be complete shite and unable to get in the side above Doherty anyway.

Of course he has his limitations, the same as virtually everyone in the squad. He certainly isn't as bad as some people make out.

Pace, marking, tackling, tracking back, crossing, reading the game with and without the ball.

Yep he's limited alright.

How many games has Dave Edwards played at this level?

Dave is definitely a Champ level midfielder, come on! He has left us and is still getting plenty of game time in this division, i really don't understand your logic.

Kanu i grant you, but Edwards and Doc have played 300+ games in this division, this is their standard.

You're not a Championship level player if you're perpetually the worst player on the pitch. As those pair are. Regardless of whether some idiot keeps picking you.

Edwards is not in Reading's team at the moment I believe? And they're terrible.

Pace, marking, tackling, tracking back, crossing, reading the game with and without the ball.

Yep he's limited alright.

Its a wonder he has the ability to get up in the morning! Poor chap

You're not a Championship level player if you're perpetually the worst player on the pitch. As those pair are. Regardless of whether some idiot keeps picking you.

Edwards is not in Reading's team at the moment I believe? And they're terrible.

There are very few people who think that Doherty is regularly the worst player on the pitch!

Edwards has played 23 games for Reading this season.

Back