• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Matt Doherty

How much for The Gloves?

• Total voters
Jesus, Doherty is bad but to say he's way worse than Grant Hanley????? Not a chance in Hell!

I think Hanley is rubbish, he's a freak with a grotesquely huge head who has less ability on the ball than our mate Christophe Berra (in fact old Biscuit Tin Head is still better than him even though he's 33 now). But he is a competent Championship defender, to a point.

Matt Doherty is not a competent Championship defender, even if he does have a normal sized head.

He's only worth about £3-4m (others would pay that, although he has a vastly inflated value at the moment)- however I've voted to keep him as having him as backup might well be important next season.

Important is a stretch but this is why I think we'll keep him.

- No-one will bid anything proper for him as he's not very good
- He seems popular enough
- We could probably trust him not to act the twat if he's not playing very often
- Theoretically he could cover both sides, though not very well

It's faintly farcical that he will be part of a Premier League squad next season and Dom Iorfa won't (we'll sell him) but that's where we are.

Ultimately though you only want back up players who you actually trust. So I'd get rid as soon as possible. We could find multiple players better than that for not much money.

He seems to be popular too, having him in the squad is probably good for morale.

£3-4m easily. Christ, we'd get £5m for Danny Batth and he's barely kicked a ball this season

£3-4m for me I reckon. Is he worth it? Fuck no, but I reckon we’d get it. Just hope there’s someone daft enough to want him.

£3-4m for me I reckon. Is he worth it? Fuck no, but I reckon we’d get it. Just hope there’s someone daft enough to want him.

This for me as well, he is vastly far rated by people who dont watch him regularly, there is a fairly constant debate in the media over here every time an Irish international squad is named, about him starting.

Matt Doherty is not a competent Championship defender, even if he does have a normal sized head.

And yet he has been playing for a competent Championship team for a few years now, surely he is the very definition of exactly that?

The one fact I console myself with is that if we achieve promotion that Doherty will not play for us any more.

Just 12 games to go, fingers crossed.

Ridiculous levels of hatred on this forum, he's no superstar, but Doherty has been key as to how our formation has got us where we are this season.

He's been key to our attacking play in making space and linking with Cav/Costa. Certainly more than Douglas on the other side who gets a nosebleed if he comes past the halfway line.

Ridiculous levels of hatred on this forum, he's no superstar, but Doherty has been key as to how our formation has got us where we are this season.

Yes he has...Just imagine if he could cross a ball too without ballooning it out for a throw in on the far side of the pitch 9 times out of 10

And yet he has been playing for a competent Championship team for a few years now, surely he is the very definition of exactly that?

With 0 competition.

He's played by default with immunity since Scott Golbourne was sold. Since then he played in just about every game.

By your rationale Dicko was a competent Championship striker because he's played at this level for a few years, regardless of the fact he's only scored 3 goals last season and 5 this.

He's been key to our attacking play in making space and linking with Cav/Costa. Certainly more than Douglas on the other side who gets a nosebleed if he comes past the halfway line.

He makes loads of space, gets the ball then holds up play while the opposing defenders get back to close us down. Two assists and one goal tell you he hasn’t contributed anywhere near what he should have in his position given the amount of games we’ve dominated.

2 goals. gonna hate on him get his record correct...

Back