• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd FA Cup Thread

I thought Doc was a lot better last night, much more assertive in the tackle (as Rashford will tell you this morning) there were a number of times that he nipped in really well. Of course he made a bad decision that ultimately led to the goal, but that build play was the kind of play has been lacking the last few games, and it didn't help that we had no one in the box who was moving so he had to try something else other than just bang a cross in, he also hit the post, which was really unlucky.

I think Doc will take some confidence from last nights game and hopefully he will be better on Saturday too.

I agree Doherty's performances have dipped recently. He has got out of jail a little this season by scoring some important goals, defensively far too much still comes down that side and his attacking output has reduced.

I think this is perfectly reasonable view, and it is one i subscribe to.

I can on one hand be really pleased by our meteoric rise from 15th in the Championship to 7th in the Prem. As a result of that Fosun, Nuno, Mendes, Thelwell etc have earned a great deal of respect, but that also means I am surprised and disappointed that our squad is so threadbare that we are having to play a clearly knackered Raul for every minute of last night's game and that when we are chasing the game we have to replace Neto with MGW as a LW and Burr comes on for Traore, this is down to recruitment, particularly the summer window.

I know it is difficult to get players in in January, clubs want more, players want more, players are reluctant, but we knew the January window is difficult in July 19, so we should have done more then!

We also knew that Cutrone would likely move on in the December, so why didn't we make sure we had a replacement ready in early Jan so our January games weren't effected in the way they clearly are being now?

For all the excellent planning and structuring they have done over the years, the planning in the last couple of windows seems a little lacking?
Nail. On. Head.

I think the big issue is Doc is not getting into the box much at the moment. Been a bit concerned with his performances recently, something missing from last season. He used to make runs inside if the ball was out on his side of the pitch and then to the back post if on the other. In recent weeks he hasn't been doing this. We do miss the runner from midfield, but we can only have that if we play the 3-5-2
I also agree with this. So Nuno needs to get in to Doc’s ear or work with him closely to find out why this hasn’t been happening.

How do you "make sure" that you have players coming in on Jan 1st? If it were that easy everyone would do it. 99% of players and clubs just don't want to commit that early. Unless they have a release clause and are clearly moving to a bigger club/league then it rarely happens.

How do you "make sure" that you have players coming in on Jan 1st? If it were that easy everyone would do it. 99% of players and clubs just don't want to commit that early. Unless they have a release clause and are clearly moving to a bigger club/league then it rarely happens.

Villa and Tottenham have managed to do it so why can't we...........

Villa have signed an unwanted bag of shit on loan and got a reserve keeper older than God who was unwanted by his parent club. Excuse me if I don’t shake with envy and rage about their transfer dealings.

Also if this is the case we should have done more in the summer then surely?

Villa have signed an unwanted bag of shit on loan and got a reserve keeper older than God who was unwanted by his parent club. Excuse me if I don’t shake with envy and rage about their transfer dealings.

That's not the point though is it, the argument was that it is impossible to make signings in early January, clubs have and are doing it. Fiorentina did it too.

Fernandes - 15th Jan isn't the start of the window. And it is a clear step up in leagues for him and a Top 6 club.

Drinkwater - Hardly a step up for either party and he's injury prone nowadays. Purely signed because they are desperate. Probably for stupid wages.

Well it just means not January 1st (when incidentally you cannot register a transfer anyway as it is a bank holiday). We will know at the end of the window if we should have done more.

Frankly I am sorely tempted to next log in after the window shuts.

That's not the point though is it, the argument was that it is impossible to make signings in early January, clubs have and are doing it. Fiorentina did it too.

Well clearly it is not impossible but I guess it comes down to who your targets are. If they are not wanted by the club, piss easy to sign. If you are chasing a lesser quality and you chuck a few quid at their club, piss easy. Obviously we have zero clue who we are trying to get but it is very much looking like we are after players that clubs don't really want to sell or are happy to do so if they get a replacement in themselves and once that chain starts it only takes one failure and it knocks everyone out.

Okay lets sign some fucking rubbish early to appease the fans shall we? Except they will then just whinge that the signing isnt good enough and round we go again. Fuck this. See you all in February.

For an early signing, you either need to have the clout of a Liverpool or Spurs, or be willing to settle for any old shit.

Forgive me that I'm not green with envy that we'd not signed Danny fucking Drinkwater in 2020.

I should have been more specific, my tongue was firmly in my cheek and I was referring to strikers as this seems to be where we are most in need.

As for Liverpool managing it, why would any player have their head turned by the team who are current World and European Champions and are walking away with the Premier League title.

Back