• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd FA Cup Thread

There is some palpable nonsense being posted on this thread.

I thought we were the better team overall, especially in the first half. Through the 90 mins, we created the better clear cut chances. Across 180 mins, I think Utd have had 2 or 3 shots on target. That tells you something about how decent we are.

I think we also used last nights game to try some stuff - Traore & Neto on opposite flanks for example.

I thought MGW looked very bright when he came on. Get his match sharpness back and we have a really good player there.

I also think Buur is actually part of the squad and Nuno can see some potential there. Yes he's raw, but the coaching team are working on him. He showed in a few moments ability to take on players and make a decent pass.

We are unfortunate to be out of the cup. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am fairly sure the Traore sub was protective. Vinagres hamstring may be a concern depending on the extent of the injury.

Nuno has been quite clear through January he is confident of signing players, that's a plural. He's said this more than once. In spite of this, too many people appear to be convinced that we ain't signing anyone, we're not close to signing anyone, and also that the majority of our squad are imminently going to be injured in such a way they will miss the rest of the season, and I can't fathom that thinking.

I am pretty sure my posting/forum engagement decreases in transfer windows.

I also think too many don't realise what a fucking good team we are, and seem to not enjoy watching us play great football.

People are weird.

I agree LJ. I think plenty of people realise but also a fair few don't seem able to appreciate it as much as others. Two very different things.

And I don't buy transfer frustration as an excuse for some of the comments because there's not a single poster on here who doesn't realise we urgently need to bring players in. Likewise within the club.

Hopefully we can get some business done and concentrate on being awesome again.

Whilst it's true that we have until the 31st to get signings in, We are now without a win in 5, some of these players are running on empty and the bench is depleted - We have 3 more games between now and the 1st of February and leaving it until the end of the window will probably result in more dropped points. I think if we act well and a quickly as possible we could still finish in the European spots this season, but with every loss it obviously becomes less likely. Hopefully we are very close to doing some business to help the first team.

no one has said that we are not a good team. Our first 15 shows that more often than not over the last two seasons. Its remarkable.

After than the dip in quality is so big that the next 15 would probably struggle in the championship. That has been a worry to many and all they have done over time is express concern. The noises being made were that strengthening "would happen in January" and its still january. However seeing players leave with no replacement does make many wolves fans nervous. We have been Moxeyed before and we dont want any similar repitition.

You cannot force players to join Wolves. That has been agreed. But I do have significant questions about our recruitment team in the last 3 windows especially given the Zinchencko shite from the summer. I will not accept an excuse on February 1st that " our identified targets changed their minds".

Firstly I couldn't believe we went full strength. Then we we're quite poor any way. Not good

Neto had a decent game
Saiss has been great for a few games now
Ruddy was a beast but somehow also looks like an old man when he goes down then has to react instantly again
MGW looked raring to go so that's good

I have this sort of fear that we will keep swapping between 352 and 343 when they stop working. I know that we want versatile players but going 352 puts Traore back up front or as RWB. Hmmm

Not bothered by being out 1 bit, just wish we had played a weaker team and gone out instead I suppose

It’s not as easy as that though Deano - there’s a reason the majority of the transfers go to the last week, and that’s that when you’re looking for quality, that quality will generally wait until the last week to see if a champions league club will come in for them (generally as a result of missing their own targets at this point in the window).

Likewise, selling clubs will be hoping more teams come in with desperate offers or to start a bidding war.

We could always sign one player for twice the price, or get marlon harewood back instead of someone good - but If we want quality without hugely over paying, we are also reliant on the clubs and players for the timing.

I still think we’ll get one player at the tail end of next week and another one the week after. (First team or first team squad)

I thought we were the better team overall, especially in the first half. Through the 90 mins, we created the better clear cut chances. Across 180 mins, I think Utd have had 2 or 3 shots on target. That tells you something about how decent we are.

I think we also used last nights game to try some stuff - Traore & Neto on opposite flanks for example.

I thought MGW looked very bright when he came on. Get his match sharpness back and we have a really good player there.

I also think Buur is actually part of the squad and Nuno can see some potential there. Yes he's raw, but the coaching team are working on him. He showed in a few moments ability to take on players and make a decent pass.

We are unfortunate to be out of the cup. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am fairly sure the Traore sub was protective. Vinagres hamstring may be a concern depending on the extent of the injury.

Nuno has been quite clear through January he is confident of signing players, that's a plural. He's said this more than once. In spite of this, too many people appear to be convinced that we ain't signing anyone, we're not close to signing anyone, and also that the majority of our squad are imminently going to be injured in such a way they will miss the rest of the season, and I can't fathom that thinking.

I also think too many don't realise what a fucking good team we are, and seem to not enjoy watching us play great football.

People are weird.

I agree with every word of that.

It’s not as easy as that though Deano - there’s a reason the majority of the transfers go to the last week, and that’s that when you’re looking for quality, that quality will generally wait until the last week to see if a champions league club will come in for them (generally as a result of missing their own targets at this point in the window).

Likewise, selling clubs will be hoping more teams come in with desperate offers or to start a bidding war.

We could always sign one player for twice the price, or get marlon harewood back instead of someone good - but If we want quality without hugely over paying, we are also reliant on the clubs and players for the timing.

I’m still think one player at the tail end of next week and another one the week after. (First team or first team squad)

Every transfer is different and there will be players that do what you have said and wait it out, but there are also a number of examples of teams in Januarys gone by getting players during the beginning or the middle of the window, and our situation required us to do a bit of groundwork to try and get some things tied up earlier - I get the argument from others that not a lot of teams have done business in this window yet but not a lot of teams are as thin on the ground as us either.

Transfer fee's are only going to increase as the window draws closer to an end as the selling clubs have less time to source their own replacements.

I am not panicking but it does concern me that every game that goes by where we only have 13-14 senior fit players, are opportunities dropped in a season where all of United, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal are not having good seasons.

People are weird.

Excellent summary - my thoughts precisely

I still think we’ll get one player at the tail end of next week and another one the week after. (First team or first team squad)

That is all well and good but given our fixture clog why bin off Cutrone in week one?

All that has done is heighten anxiety that its gonna be one of those windows.

That is all well and good but given our fixture clog why bin off Cutrone in week one?

You keep an unhappy player which goes against everything Nuno works for. He wants his squad all happy with life. You can see from Cutrone he was very much let his feelings be known type of player. So one miserable unhappy voice starts to have a negative effect, could even start to split the camp (which we have seen in the past and it ain't good) so Nuno made the call to look after the squad moral rather than have an unhappy player bringing folk down. Fixture clog or not, he wasn't going to play him and from the bits and bobs given out over Christmas and the New Year, Cutrone didn't want to play and wanted to go home.

You keep an unhappy player which goes against everything Nuno works for. He wants his squad all happy with life. You can see from Cutrone he was very much let his feelings be known type of player. So one miserable unhappy voice starts to have a negative effect, could even start to split the camp (which we have seen in the past and it ain't good) so Nuno made the call to look after the squad moral rather than have an unhappy player bringing folk down. Fixture clog or not, he wasn't going to play him and from the bits and bobs given out over Christmas and the New Year, Cutrone didn't want to play and wanted to go home.

Agree. The culture and environment around the team and club are more important than short term results. It is what has got us to where we are.

Campana is highly rated so assume he is very much like Neto in that he is seen as possibly starting in the U23s (we also said the same when we first signed Vinagre) but quite likely they will be a part of the first team squad. I look forward to seeing if he can have an impact. We still need a forward who can play across the front three as well anyway

He's not right to say bringing on 2 young players is 'waving a white flag' just because he's getting annoyed with the lack of signings.

It's incredibly disrespectful and out of order IMO. Everyone wants us to make some signings but that sort of crap isn't on.

That's bit precious isn't it?

Replacing Neto with MGW and Traore with Burr is worthy of remark, it made us less likely to score, our attacking options off the bench at the moment are desperate.

Back on last nights game for a minute, I mentioned it a few times but it’s blatantly obvious that we need a little tweak in the system or the way in which we play, which allows more players to get in to the box - especially if we are playing with two wingers. How often did they get in to crossing positions last night, look up, and see Raul stood there himself with 4/5 defenders around him? We have become too reliant on set pieces, or a special bit of skill, to get ourselves a goal. The proof here is the one time we did get more than just Raul in the box, Doc hit the post and arguably should have scored.

We set up in a way where we defend as a unit and we are very organised defensively. That stifles us going forward and means we can’t (or deliberately aren’t) getting men in the box to support Raul. That needs to change.

If we were keeping loads of clean sheets, it wouldn’t be an issue. But we’re not - how many games is that where we’ve conceded first now?

I expect Nuno to work on that or to tweak something with the system. He’s done it before, so I’m hopeful he will do it again.

Back on last nights game for a minute, I mentioned it a few times but it’s blatantly obvious that we need a little tweak in the system or the way in which we play, which allows more players to get in to the box - especially if we are playing with two wingers. How often did they get in to crossing positions last night, look up, and see Raul stood there himself with 4/5 defenders around him? We have become too reliant on set pieces, or a special bit of skill, to get ourselves a goal. The proof here is the one time we did get more than just Raul in the box, Doc hit the post and arguably should have scored.

We set up in a way where we defend as a unit and we are very organised defensively. That stifles is going forward and means we can’t (or deliberately aren’t) getting men in the box to support Raul. That needs to change.

If we were keeping loads of clean sheets, it wouldn’t be an issue. But we’re not - how many games is that where we’ve conceded first now?

I expect Nuno to work on that or to tweak something with the system. He’s done it before, so I’m hopeful he will do it again.

SEVENTEEN

SEVEN FUCKING TEEN

We are the comeback kings because we have to be. If the league table was made at half time we would be at the bottom so I am told. Its a poor habit and needs sorting.

We set up in a way where we defend as a unit and we are very organised defensively. That stifles us going forward and means we can’t (or deliberately aren’t) getting men in the box to support Raul. That needs to change.

I think the big issue is Doc is not getting into the box much at the moment. Been a bit concerned with his performances recently, something missing from last season. He used to make runs inside if the ball was out on his side of the pitch and then to the back post if on the other. In recent weeks he hasn't been doing this. We do miss the runner from midfield, but we can only have that if we play the 3-5-2

Once again, the same as last year , we do not have enough quality on the bench to change a game. Thats all he was saying. We complained about having Cav , Costa and Bonatini because they werent good enough , yet any two from those three would have been an improvement on Buur last night and Bonatini could at least have come on for Raul, who currently has zero back up , like for like.

Now I am not saying we were not right to move on from them but we were not right to do that without effective replacements IN PLACE. You wont get me to change my mind on that. Its a poor strategy on behalf of the club and its cost them a cup place.

I think this is perfectly reasonable view, and it is one i subscribe to.

I can on one hand be really pleased by our meteoric rise from 15th in the Championship to 7th in the Prem. As a result of that Fosun, Nuno, Mendes, Thelwell etc have earned a great deal of respect, but that also means I am surprised and disappointed that our squad is so threadbare that we are having to play a clearly knackered Raul for every minute of last night's game and that when we are chasing the game we have to replace Neto with MGW as a LW and Burr comes on for Traore, this is down to recruitment, particularly the summer window.

I know it is difficult to get players in in January, clubs want more, players want more, players are reluctant, but we knew the January window is difficult in July 19, so we should have done more then!

We also knew that Cutrone would likely move on in the December, so why didn't we make sure we had a replacement ready in early Jan so our January games weren't effected in the way they clearly are being now?

For all the excellent planning and structuring they have done over the years, the planning in the last couple of windows seems a little lacking?

I think the big issue is Doc is not getting into the box much at the moment. Been a bit concerned with his performances recently, something missing from last season. He used to make runs inside if the ball was out on his side of the pitch and then to the back post if on the other. In recent weeks he hasn't been doing this. We do miss the runner from midfield, but we can only have that if we play the 3-5-2

I agree with this. I confess I didn't see the game last night but it reads like the Newcastle game in various reports. I think Nuno's perfect system would see two players who are really strong in the air from both wing back positions so our two inside forwards can play in or out and between the lines. It allows crosses to come in from both sides and at least two in the box, one of whom arrives late on an angle.

It's a perfectionist system which we don't have the players for (I'm not sure these players exist anywhere) and maybe we should go back to only playing one inside forward who prefers to be a winger and one Jota type who is better at being an actual inside forward.

This leaves us with the Doc problem because our best winger type forward is Adama but when he puts crosses in Doc tends to be behind or inside him and so it would be the opposite wing back who would come in and attack the ball. Unfortunately that's Jonny and he's a rubbish header of the ball.

We can't switch Adama, so maybe we have to change the system a bit or heaven forbid buy another forward who can play when Jota can't.

I will say when MGW came on we had an extra body in the box when we attacked as he seemed to stick close to Raul

Back