• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd FA Cup Thread

For an early signing, you either need to have the clout of a Liverpool or Spurs, or be willing to settle for any old shit.

Forgive me that I'm not green with envy that we'd not signed Danny fucking Drinkwater in 2020.

That's two of you now conflating points and being hysterical.

Where has anyone said they want Danny Drinkwater?

The idea that you can't get people in early is the argument here, you can, Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, Fiorentina and Man Utd have all done it (and i'm sure there are more). We haven't, yet we have smaller squads than all of those (not sure on Fiorentina), we have Mendes, we have Nuno and we have the cash, so why haven't we? It's at odds with all the brilliant planning and execution by Fosun since Nuno has come in.

As for Italian Pat, if he was that homesick / not trusted by Nuno then I'm glad he has gone and that we have recouped our costs on him.

There is a Leeds doc on Amazon (it's shit unless you are a Leeds fan mind) but 1 episode highlights just how hard it can be getting a player over the line. They had been chasing the signing of Daniel James for ages and on deadline day Swansea finally accepted their bid. Player arrived early, had his medical, took all the promo shots, picked his shirt number, did the inhouse interviews, signed all but the 1 important page of contracts and then sat there...sat a bit more and finally left Elland Road just after the deadline, still a Swansea player. All because 1 person in the USA who needed to sign off the transfer for Swansea, refused to do so

Re Doc I would guess at least part of it is going to be because he doesn't have Dendoncker covering his space (or at least, not like he was) when he gets forwards now due to the system change - both him and Traore are way up the pitch and it leaves that side fairly exposed

I should have been more specific, my tongue was firmly in my cheek and I was referring to strikers as this seems to be where we are most in need.

As for Liverpool managing it, why would any player have their head turned by the team who are current World and European Champions and are walking away with the Premier League title.

It's all relative though isn't it, we aren't fishing in the same pool as Liverpool, but that doesn't mean there aren't players who are good enough that would be more than willing to come to Wolves.

McManaman is Birtles levels of shite in the commentary box. Picks a narrative and won't shut up about it, even though he's totally wrong. Also never sounds as if he's ever watched us play.
Will McManaman be commentating next Thursday night against Liverpool? We may need to let him know what we think of him if he is.

He was abysmal, sucks the life out of the game with his negativity in a similar way to Alan Green.

He was shit for both teams. Steve - occasionally a player will misplace a pass, often neither team plays at a ridiculously fast tempo, particularly when the atmosphere is so flat, pretty sure he has never properly watched Wolves before with some of the shit he was coming out with, he was questioning why Moutinho and Neves weren't bombing in to the box, he was saying that AT should take on his man every time he gets the ball (He fucking does Steve, have a look at the stats, he has the best take on rate in Europe) overall he was just shit, offered no insight.

The main commentator was unusually opinionated too.

Will McManaman be commentating next Thursday night against Liverpool? We may need to let him know what we think of him if he is.
In the first half last night he said Wolves haven't got a plan for games. Fucking idiot doesn't have a clue about us.

The idea that you can't get people in early is the argument here, you can, Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, Fiorentina and Man Utd have all done it (and i'm sure there are more). We haven't, yet we have smaller squads than all of those (not sure on Fiorentina), we have Mendes, we have Nuno and we have the cash, so why haven't we? It's at odds with all the brilliant planning and execution by Fosun since Nuno has come in.
We tend to be very specific about the type of player and person we want. People have lauded our scouting since Nuno came in, or at least the players we have bought. I guess we are looking at a narrower group of players than most as we want to be sure they are the right fit for the club.

Disappointed to be out the Cup like everyone, espescially after last year, the disallowed goal and the fact we ouplayed United for large chunks of the game.. Adding much more is stating the bleeding obvious. Yes we have a thin squad, yes we need additions and yes, a lot of players look nowhere near their start of season levels, and yes it's not surprising. We have also never played more than 44 fixtures in a Prem season which we are fast approaching already, we are 7th in the league above Arsenal and Tottenham and in a European competition KO stage. I'm struggling with the ' we aye gonna sign anyone' panic time mentality that's lingering. We have some very very good players who it is not easy to improve on. Everyone can see Raul needs help, but hes a 30 million striker who will end this season as our top scorer ever in the Prem and finding another one of him won't be easy and nor will it be in most positions.

He was abysmal, sucks the life out of the game with his negativity in a similar way to Alan Green.

He was shit for both teams. Steve - occasionally a player will misplace a pass, often neither team plays at a ridiculously fast tempo, particularly when the atmosphere is so flat, pretty sure he has never properly watched Wolves before with some of the shit he was coming out with, he was questioning why Moutinho and Neves weren't bombing in to the box, he was saying that AT should take on his man every time he gets the ball (He fucking does Steve, have a look at the stats, he has the best take on rate in Europe) overall he was just shit, offered no insight.

The main commentator was unusually opinionated too.

Wolves lumping it forward and then saying we were taking too many touches to pass it, which one is it McWanker?

Who was the mutant on co-comms? I've never encountered them before but between him and McWanker I wanted to put my fist through the TV by the end.

The idea that you can't get people in early is the argument here, you can, Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, Fiorentina and Man Utd have all done it (and i'm sure there are more).

So, teams that are either huge and prestigious, or have bought players that no one would want if they weren't desperate (or, in Fiorentina's case, jumped on a player that we needed to sell as a matter of priority). Neither of these applies to us.

Make no mistake- we could have signed a gang of shite so far this window if we weren't interested in actually signing the right players. I'm not upset that we haven't yet (by contrast, if I were a Villa fan I'd be horrified if we were satisfied with getting players the calibre of 2020-vintage Danny Drinkwater in).
We haven't, yet we have smaller squads than all of those (not sure on Fiorentina), we have Mendes, we have Nuno and we have the cash, so why haven't we? It's at odds with all the brilliant planning and execution by Fosun since Nuno has come in.
Mendes isn't at our beck and call (note him attending yesterday's match as a guest of United), and the amount of money that we actually have for signings (between FFP and Fosun not pouring bottomless riches into the club) pales in comparison to your Uniteds and Liverpools.

These will be totally legitimate complaints to make if the window shuts and we're as thin as we are now, but there's nothing inherently praiseworthy about getting your business done early- I'd rather that we get the right players late than the wrong players early.

Hold up!

Spurs signed one player yesterday and they had to move with a lot more urgency in that area as they have Sissoko injured, Wanyama seemingly done, Eriksen possibly off.

Liverpool have signed one player, this after they bought 0 players in the summer. None!

Villa - don't care, they're in the bottom three, they're desperate and haven't actually signed a striker when their only proper first team option (as shit as he is) got injured over a fortnight ago.

Fiorentina - took an unhappy Italian player back to Italy. Pretty standard there.

Man Utd - who have they signed?

And as BGreen says, Mendes isn't "ours".

geez not sure I understand some of the flaring tempers in this thread. good lord settle down

Hold up!

Spurs signed one player yesterday and they had to move with a lot more urgency in that area as they have Sissoko injured, Wanyama seemingly done, Eriksen possibly off.

Liverpool have signed one player, this after they bought 0 players in the summer. None!

Villa - don't care, they're in the bottom three, they're desperate and haven't actually signed a striker when their only proper first team option (as shit as he is) got injured over a fortnight ago.

Fiorentina - took an unhappy Italian player back to Italy. Pretty standard there.

You can prove anything with facts :p

Hold up!

So what do you disagree with?

Can you get players in early in the window or not?

Interesting you say that Spurs need to move with urgency, do we have to move with any less urgency?

Back