• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd FA Cup Thread

Played pretty well first half, Raul should have buried his chance having done the hard bit, the nonsense handball rule doing us over again (please IFAB, delete it one day after the end of this season, it's awful) and I think Doc's header would have counted, didn't look offside to me.

A bit short on ideas in the second half without ever looking in danger...then a slack goal. Doc caught way upfield after he dallied over a cut back (there wasn't even room to beat his man outside so not sure what he was playing at), Donck too tight, Coady letting the ball bounce.

Not too bothered about going out of the cup, we have other things to worry about and we could do with the time off. Although arguably we should have won both of these games.

McManaman is Birtles levels of shite in the commentary box. Picks a narrative and won't shut up about it, even though he's totally wrong. Also never sounds as if he's ever watched us play.

You're never going to get Neves and Moutinho breaking into the box when we have it wide so let's not even consider that as a tactical possibility.

Ruddy, Saiss and Neto the main positives from tonight.

Timbo II doesn’t help the twitter pant wetters with his comments like “cant afford to lose Saturday with Liverpool coming up”

Can't say I'm massively disappointed that we lost that, given our so-far barren transfer window. A jaded, lacklustre performance that still pretty much matched United in their own back yard. The fewer games we have to play at the moment, the better, and what energy the players have left will be best spent in the other competitions.

Played pretty well first half, Raul should have buried his chance having done the hard bit, the nonsense handball rule doing us over again (please IFAB, delete it one day after the end of this season, it's awful) and I think Doc's header would have counted, didn't look offside to me.

A bit short on ideas in the second half without ever looking in danger...then a slack goal. Doc caught way upfield after he dallied over a cut back (there wasn't even room to beat his man outside so not sure what he was playing at), Donck too tight, Coady letting the ball bounce.

Not too bothered about going out of the cup, we have other things to worry about and we could do with the time off. Although arguably we should have won both of these games.

McManaman is Birtles levels of shite in the commentary box. Picks a narrative and won't shut up about it, even though he's totally wrong. Also never sounds as if he's ever watched us play.

You're never going to get Neves and Moutinho breaking into the box when we have it wide so let's not even consider that as a tactical possibility.

Ruddy, Saiss and Neto the main positives from tonight.

Agree with most if that.
Fair enough Neves and Moutinho do what they do and it has served us well, but I do think we need more ways to score, how we achieve that is down to Nuno though and not me lol..

far be it from me to criticize the strategy of our excellent manager, but it does seem like he needs to be a bit more flexible in times like this. defensively something keeps happening. we're not attacking well. the players we rely on on the outside are knackered and in short supply. and yet we have an abundance of midfielders.

seems like 352 might help stir things up a bit, even if it's just for a game or two to give certain players a rest

Sorry that was my point when I said we
need signings.

Aha - well, in that case we are arguing about something we agree about!

I think the Vinagre and potential Adama injuries tonight really need to focus the minds of those dealing with recruitment. We need bodies. NOW. And they need to be of sufficient quality. Let's hope that happens.

Well if Donk challenges for the ball (as I and possibly Coady and Saiss would expect) the problem doesn't arise.
Don't rate the lad as a defender personally.
Bennett is a far better option.

Not sure I’d go that far, but I’d be happy to see a Top class centre back come in to replace him. Thought Saiss showed him how to play that role with some excellent. Forward passing, but Donk doesn’t seem to have that ability.

Aha - well, in that case we are arguing about something we agree about!

I think the Vinagre and potential Adama injuries tonight really need to focus the minds of those dealing with recruitment. We need bodies. NOW. And they need to be of sufficient quality. Let's hope that happens.

Nuno agreed in the press conference.
They really need to get players in AsAP

Disappointed to be out the cup.

Thought we lacked options to change the game (obviously) need some back up for the centre forward position like yesterday. That's been/being done to death no point going over and over it we'll see what position we're in come Feb 1st.

Hoping Vinagre / Traore injuries aren't serious

Positives thought Neto continues to improve.

Reflecting on it this morning, I'm probably glad we're out. I really want us to qualify for Europe again, and the Cup would probably get in the way of that.
But, but... Doherty should have scored in the first game, Raul should bury that chance last night.
And the bench. We're not so much bringing subs on these days as waving the white flag. but recruitment is for another thread...

Waving the white flag?

For crying out loud.

If Vinagre hadn't got the ball caught under his feet and nearly fell over when we were 3 on 2 near the end, he might have won it for us.

I'd like to think I'd give our players an ounce of respect TBQH.

Sorry

Norman is 100% right

Buur has played once
MGW has just come back from a lay off

The size and depth pf our squad is not beginning to bite its bitten. It is myopic rose tinted glasss to think or argue otherwise.

Still, I will stay posting with my glass half empty until proven otherwise.

What did we learn from last night.

Firstly , the absolute bollocks about John Ruddy not being a solid capable deputy for Rui. There was much criticism of him last year and he more than set that record straight last night wioth a commanding display.
Secondly , Raul needs a rest. He looked jaded
Thirdly- Neto shows a lot of promise right up to the final ball. That will come. See Traore Adama.

Once again we have more than matched one of the big six and have been unlucky to lose. But I dont want us to get a plucky losers tag. I want us to be strng enough in depth to kick on or change things off the bench and as many of you have said , that is not the case.

He's not right to say bringing on 2 young players is 'waving a white flag' just because he's getting annoyed with the lack of signings.

It's incredibly disrespectful and out of order IMO. Everyone wants us to make some signings but that sort of crap isn't on.

I hope the mood on this forum is slightly more tolerable on February 1st.

He's not right to say bringing on 2 young players is 'waving a white flag' just because he's getting annoyed with the lack of signings.

It's incredibly disrespectful and out of order IMO. Everyone wants us to make some signings but that sort of crap isn't on.

I hope the mood on this forum is slightly more tolerable on February 1st.

Its harsh but is it not accurate? Once again, the same as last year , we do not have enough quality on the bench to change a game. Thats all he was saying. We complained about having Cav , Costa and Bonatini because they werent good enough , yet any two from those three would have been an improvement on Buur last night and Bonatini could at least have come on for Raul, who currently has zero back up , like for like.

Now I am not saying we were not right to move on from them but we were not right to do that without effective replacements IN PLACE. You wont get me to change my mind on that. Its a poor strategy on behalf of the club and its cost them a cup place.

Back