• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man City Carabao Cup Build Up Thread

I think Nuno might go strong on this one (not saying I would) as it is a good test for where our team is at.

But then we played a second team at Southampton so who knows. I'd probably rest the regulars, but will they want that? The best players want to play against the best.

There's an international break after the Fulham game so I wouldn't worry too much about fitness at this stage.

I hope some of Norris, N'Daiye, Boly, Hause, Vinagre, Costa and Enobakhare get minutes but apart from that we should be picking our best side and trying to beat City.

All the tickets for the game being shown in the 3 bars at Molineux are now sold out.

I'm surprised so many think that we should play the full side in this one. Given our current league position i think we shuld take every opportunity to rest the regulars.

It is not so much a case of fatigue, but given the treatment that Jota, Neves and a few others get on a regular basis from other sides, surely the concern would just be an accumulation of damage. Don't forget that a lot of our foreign contingent won't get a rest during the international break, they will away with full or u23/21 sides.

These games are also an opportunity to give some of the fringe and returning players game time to reach fitness. That this is important has been apparent for players like Costa, and would also allow the likes of Boly to regain sharpness.

No disrespect to all those going, or watching back at the Mol, however, the league is too important.

I'm surprised so many think that we should play the full side in this one. Given our current league position i think we shuld take every opportunity to rest the regulars.

It is not so much a case of fatigue, but given the treatment that Jota, Neves and a few others get on a regular basis from other sides, surely the concern would just be an accumulation of damage. Don't forget that a lot of our foreign contingent won't get a rest during the international break, they will away with full or u23/21 sides.

These games are also an opportunity to give some of the fringe and returning players game time to reach fitness. That this is important has been apparent for players like Costa, and would also allow the likes of Boly to regain sharpness.

No disrespect to all those going, or watching back at the Mol, however, the league is too important.

I agree.

I think we will go close to a full strength side but Norris, Vinagre (who should come in anyway after Douglas being poor) N'Daiye, Boly, Hause & Costa come in at the very least.

We could see something like this,

-------------Norris--------------------
----Bennett----Boly---Hause--------
Doc---------------------------Vinagre
----------N'Daiye----Neves-----------
---Costa-------Leo--------Jota-------- Maybe Cav for Jota as he has played more.

I don't think he should go full 2nd team as it will be demoralizing to get absolutely humped.

City aren't likely to kick us though are they?

The only player I'd be protecting is Leo.

I disagree, a dicking would knock us about a tad. Put a second string out and we will get absolutely battered.

You could go with the strongest team possible and still concede a cricket score the way City are playing at the moment, it's not like their second string is going to be a bunch of nobodies.

We are trying to develop this team for Premier League football, so its an important game to see if our lads can compete with the best team in the country. Sending a second string out will be nonsense.

I think it’s sad have ‘modern football’ pragmatism has invaded even fans’ thinking.

It’s a sport, a game. We should want to win every match. These ties have a romance that QPR on Saturday won’t. Play a good side and have a go I say. Life is too short.

Neves, Jota etc will want to play in this game. They came to this country to play against the likes of Man City, so let them do that.

Nuno is about to do is press conference so it will be interesting to see what he says when he gets asked about changes.

I honestly think the bulk of the changes will be the defence and keeper (Norris deserves to keep his cup role, Boly won't be weakening us and Hause has to start his comeback somewhere), Midfield and forward line will only see minor changes

I think we will be close to full strength and I think that is the right thing. City are a class act they won't be kicking us Nuno needs to see how we stack up at this early stage of squad development. The team who beat Soton may be a bit aggreived but if we play like we did against Yeovil or Bristol we could get humiliated. After getting this far without putting much into it we should be looking to win the League Cup which is still a major domestic trophy afterall. I admit that I may be a bit out of step with people who think we should rest people after 2 games since the international boredom break, to get a chance of silverware.
The problem is with the cups the big clubs started playing weakenned teams because they had to play European League matches, now all use it as training games, is it so devalued that its not worth winning, if so I wish I hadn't botherred going to the earlier rounds.

I think it’s sad have ‘modern football’ pragmatism has invaded even fans’ thinking.

It’s a sport, a game. We should want to win every match. These ties have a romance that QPR on Saturday won’t. Play a good side and have a go I say. Life is too short.

Bang on

Neves, Jota etc will want to play in this game. They came to this country to play against the likes of Man City

My take would be that they came to play against the likes of Man City in the PL rather than the League Cup - or whatever it manifests itself as currently. Risking any of the indispensable players in a cup game is not clever. QPR away may not be as glamorous but in the great scheme of things I'd argue it was every bit as important. Would rather have the 3 points than a hard fought but ultimately fruitless cup game against City. Plus those players who won through the earlier rounds should be starting. We know Neves, Jota etc are PL standard - more interested to see if Ronan, Bright, Marshall. Price et al are

City's last squad against Albion.

Bravo
Danilo
Stones
Mangala
Sterling
Gundogan -> Walker (59)
Delph
Sane -> Fernandinho (79)
B Silva
Yaya
Jesus

Moras
Walker
Adarabioyo
Fernandinho
Zinchenko
Diaz
Foden

Neves, Jota etc will want to play in this game. They came to this country to play against the likes of Man City

My take would be that they came to play against the likes of Man City in the PL rather than the League Cup - or whatever it manifests itself as currently. Risking any of the indispensable players in a cup game is not clever. QPR away may not be as glamorous but in the great scheme of things I'd argue it was every bit as important. Would rather have the 3 points than a hard fought but ultimately fruitless cup game against City. Plus those players who won through the earlier rounds should be starting. We know Neves, Jota etc are PL standard - more interested to see if Ronan, Bright, Marshall. Price et al are

I have to agree with this.

I'd rather 3 points from QPR than a victory over Man City. Don't the players who beat Southampton deserve their shot against Man City?

I have to agree with this.

I'd rather 3 points from QPR than a victory over Man City. Don't the players who beat Southampton deserve their shot against Man City?

Three of them aren't here any more...and Batth/Cav have been regular league starters for a little while now.

I’m not too fussed what team we play (and I’m going). We will likely be beaten anyway. The back 4 will be competitive whatever combination we play and as will the wing backs (if Doherty plays, he kind of has to).

NDiaye will play and so will Costa, as will Cav most likely. So that’s 8 of the 11 with a full rotation without really weakening us. Obviously Neves/Saiss, Jota and Bonatini playing changes us from an average team to a great team, but not playing your game changers won’t make that much difference in a game where we will see little of the ball.

Buur & Wilson involved for the U23's tonight and Burgoyne, so probably going with Ruddy on the bench tomorrow as well.

Prince isn't.....could he be set for a shock appearance at RWB tomorrow.

Back