• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Liverpool Fans

Compare Tottenham's squad with Liverpool's. They're not close.

Spurs are strengthening all the time and have genuine quality in all positions. Liverpool have a handful of quality players, but very little depth in their squad.

Liverpool is a BIG name. Probably for ONE more season.

5 European cups means fuck all to the players you are trying to attract if you can't even get into the competition any more.

They don't have too bad a team, but their biggest problem is their main man is ageing.

Rawk post of the year.

"(Man Utd) Overall though, they have been successful because the standard of opposition they play week-in week out is shockingly bad..."

They don't have too bad a team, but their biggest problem is their main man is ageing.

Yup, as good as Suarez is, he was nowhere in the first half without the supply from Gerrard.

I still can't fathom why Brentdan spunked £15m up the wall on Joe Allen. Tidy player but he offers nothing defensively or offensively. He was bossed by Carrick and Cleverley today. He's tried to use him in the same mould as Busquets being a pivot in front of the defence but he's not quick thinking enough for that.

Swansea must be pissing themselves considering the talent they've brought in with that money.

Liverpool is a BIG name. Probably for ONE more season.

5 European cups means fuck all to the players you are trying to attract if you can't even get into the competition any more.

I beg to differ. Liverpool will always be seen as a big club because of their past achievements. Anyone who saw the sides that Shankly and Paisley built will testify to how good they were. And people do not forget the past. Plus they have fan clubs throughout the world. In terms of worldwide support, I would say only Manchester United have more followers.

There are too many holes in their team and squad. Reina's gone downhill and is carrying on that way, Johnson still can't defend, they don't have a proper left back, they have no cover for Gerrard (they've been very fortunate with him so far this season, he's played every minute in the PL), Lucas might not come back properly, they are light up top if Suarez is ever missing. They have some real nonentities who get regular football, Downing, Suso, Enrique, Henderson, Coates etc.

Brentdan can talk about finances all he likes but he's spent £38m on Allen, Borini and Sturridge, that's not a very good use of money.

The general public might not forget the past, but Cavani's not going to join them because they were brilliant thirty years ago.

They'll deal with it under King Kenny because he could burn down their houses and eat their dogs and they'd still support him.

Ain't that the truth. Whatever it is they had they certainly don't have it any more. In fact Kenny did a runner way before the rot set in. When you talk about blind loyalty the scousers have it in spades but they need a Mourinho desperately. Another club with owners who know fuck all about football. Thankfully our owners who don't know fuck all about football are careful with the money.

The general public might not forget the past, but Cavani's not going to join them because they were brilliant thirty years ago.

It was us fifty years ago. Hard to keep the momentum. So important to get the right manager and board at any club.

Agreed, but you said they would only be a big name for one more season. That is where I disagree. Liverpool will always be seen as a big name.

Ah - sorry Frank I was being a touch disengenous. Liverpool will continue to be a big name in the eyes of the fans, in the eyes of Sky (at least for a while yet). However, in the eyes of players wanting to join them they no longer will.

As an aside, if I were BrentDan, I would be exceptionally concerned about the talk of re-hiring Dalglish into EXACTLY the role he had when Hodgson was manager. Kenny will be back in charge before we know it unless Rodgers sorts their shit out. The second series of Being: Liverpool is going to be a doozy.

Anyone who saw the sides that Shankly and Paisley built will testify to how good they were. And people do not forget the past.

To paraphrase you slightly:
Anyone who saw the sides that Major Buckley and Stan Cullis built will testify to how good they were. And people do not forget the past. Well, most people outside Wolverhampton have seemingly forgotten that Stan Cullis even existed, let alone Major Buckley.

Yes, those sides you mention were quite something - but they're getting on for 30 years ago now. You have to be over 40 to remember them, which isn't in the age range of modern-day footballers...

Liverpool winning titles under Dalglish with the likes of Rush, Aldridge, Barnes, Beardsley, Grobbelaar etc is right at the start of my footballing memories (we had loads of glory hunting knobs who "supported" them when I was at school). And I'm 32 in April. Since the Premier League started they've put together at best three credible title challenges which in those terms, puts them in the same boat as Newcastle really.

Liverpool are helped by the Media ramming their history down our throats at any given opportunity though

That can't be true, I thought there was a worldwide conspiracy against Liverpool Football Club?

Liverpool are helped by the Media ramming their history down our throats at any given opportunity though

Helped by a lot of ex-players working as pundits, just of the top of my head Hansen, Lawrenson, Houghton, Beglin, Souness, Whelan, Rednapp, Thompson

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers feels that his side do not lack spirit following what he sees as an improved showing in the second half of their defeat to Manchester United on Sunday.

"Aggression isn't about having a 6ft 3ins player in the middle of the field who is going to drive you forward, aggression is in the mind," says Rodgers. "We have Steven Gerrard, who is one of the best examples of that in this country over the last 10 years. We have that aggression but it is not about what size you are, it is about the fight which is in there.

"In the second half the ability to fight was much better and we were much more aggressive in our play and attitude and we should have got something."

Gerrard's got a great left hook and right cross I've seen the CCTV........

Back