• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2017/18

Another referee who doesn't know the rules in the Fleetwood v Leicester game.

Shocking! I can't understand why he didn't give an indirect freekick? Also stopped a certain goal by doing so... reminders me of Craig Gordon against Wolves a few years ago?

Back to the actual match and it's been pretty awful so far.

I know this is going to be divisive but why on Earth have the Beeb got Alex Scott as a pundit?

May as well grab a Sunday footballer from off the street if they think her standard is applicable and her knowledge is cack.

I hate how the BBC comms are constantly trying to egg on and big up any kind of upset. Getting far too excited every time the underdog get anywhere near their box. Tits.

I know this is going to be divisive but why on Earth have the Beeb got Alex Scott as a pundit?

May as well grab a Sunday footballer from off the street if they think her standard is applicable and her knowledge is cack.

Ha, I was just thinking how good it is that they have her on. She's definitely no worse than the usual people they have on there. I can only see it as a positive.

Ha, I was just thinking how good it is that they have her on. She's definitely no worse than the usual people they have on there. I can only see it as a positive.

Likewise. She's been fine.

Likewise. She's been fine.

Also, who cares what level she played at (FWIW she has always been very good for England at tournaments in the past)? Part of the issue, as in coaching, is that we just get the same old ex-pros.

Also, who cares what level she played at (FWIW she has always been very good for England at tournaments in the past)? Part of the issue, as in coaching, is that we just get the same old ex-pros.

The Beeb have her on there because she has played football. But her game is no better standard than Sunday League. Those aren't my criteria but the BBC's.

If they are going to have just anybody then what's the point in having pundits, just get presenters/ panelists.

Scott is as poor as I've seen and only saved by the two dimwits she's on with. Let's not beat about the bush she's on the Beeb to tick a box, nothing more. The answer is to get better presenters/ panelists not to tick bloody boxes. It's a wholly negative move by the Beeb.

Think you are way off mate. She's been OK. Not brilliant, but not poor either. I don't see what is so offensive about having her on.

In terms of ticking a box, what is wrong with trying to provide representation and promote role models for future female players? Sometimes you've got to think longer term as well and if we are to have equality in the game this is a wholly positive move and I'm glad they have done it for that too.

Think you are way off mate. She's been OK. Not brilliant, but not poor either. I don't see what is so offensive about having her on.

In terms of ticking a box, what is wrong with trying to provide representation and promote role models for future female players? Sometimes you've got to think longer term as well and if we are to have equality in the game this is a wholly positive move and I'm glad they have done it for that too.

I don't think it's offensive but I don't see why it matters to tick a box, bugger all to do with role models. As football is highly unlikely to ever be mixed how is a female pundit going to get more women playing? That's bizarre logic.

There is plenty wrong with box ticking as entertainment is there to be just that. Don't get me wrong I really don't care whether the pundits/ panel are male or female I just want them to be good. Neither Scott nor Schwazer where good and I think the Beeb's coverage as a whole has been going downhill rapidly over the last few years.

I also don't see why it matters to have female role models at a men's football game.

So why did you moan about just Scott in the first place when Schwarzer wasn't good as you have now said?

If you don't see why it matters to have female role models at a men's game then we are clearly not going to agree on this anyway.

The situation is that the BBC have women's football in their selection of sports so they are using this platform to promote it, and she isn't dreadful to listen to by any stretch of the imagination.

Plus BBC do it in other sports too. Alison Mitchell, after a fairly dodgy start, is now for me a great addition to the TMS cricket team, and Ebony Rainsford-Brent is getting there as well.

Surely the sex of a pundit should be of profound irrelevance. And if you then try and relate it to level of the game played you are opening the door to shit like Waddle, Parlour, and Dean fucking Saunders as main pundits. Which pisses me off. Their contribution is fucking minimal at best.

So why did you moan about just Scott in the first place when Schwarzer wasn't good as you have now said?

If you don't see why it matters to have female role models at a men's game then we are clearly not going to agree on this anyway.

I don't think we're going to agree at all. I thought both pundits were piss poor as was the commentary.

Maybe you can tell me why it's important to have female role models at a men's game.

I just did give you the reason in my post - BBC are championing womens football. It isn't that hard to comprehend their reasoning.

I just did give you the reason in my post - BBC are championing womens football. It isn't that hard to comprehend their reasoning.

I understand your point, it just isn't relevant to having positive female role models at male football games.

I take your reason for the BBC having Scott on.

Well firstly, why can't we have female role models in a men's game, what is wrong with that?

Secondly, do you think only men watch men's football? For any young girls, who can see a woman visibly involved in football at any level, how can that not be a good thing? To be able to see Scott on television, to be able to realise that they could have a career in football in some form, is a fantastic thing. The more grls who take up football the better as far as I am concerned, in terms of growing the game but also making it more diverse. That in turn will hopefully strengthen the women's game, which is continuing to grow itself.

Alex Scott will have not had that when she was a child, or just as a woman in general, so it's great that the next generation can have that inspiration?

To answer your first point. I didn't say otherwise I just done see what difference the sex of a pundit makes, they should just be good.

Secondly, I'd be interested in seeing the effect a female pundit has on participation rates in female football. The argument is the equivalent of reading a Jay Raynor food review of the Ivy and thinking I should be having a go at cooking Michelin star food. It's as tenuous a link as you can get.

But instead of saying 'why on earth have they got Scott and Schwarzer on as pundits' you said this:

why on Earth have the Beeb got Alex Scott as a pundit?

So clearly it wasn't about the level of pundit? That is how you come across, so I thought I'd better point that up.

Having a women pundit on one game isn't going to directly impact participation rates, you know that isn't what I meant. But in general having positive role models represented quite visibly is going to help? It's called representation.

What a weird thing to have a problem with anyway. :icon_lol:

Back