• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2017/18

Poor from Pickford, he has to get there.

Fuck me Holgate needs to learn a bit of restraint with those arms of his, big push on Matip there but van dijk heads it in anyway to put Liverpool back in front.

I never said that you don't know football but honestly if you've played you know it's not a foul as you would have probably been involved in both situations. Taking the played/not played argument away look at the slow motion replay, minimal contact at best, if Lallana wants to he brushes him aside and it definitely wasn't enough to send him to ground. Dive.
Disagree, although I never played football at a competitive level I did play American football in high school and I find it difficult to believe that Holgate holding is arm out there isn't enough to at the very least direct Lallana away from goal. If he's going for the ball and using his arm for purchase then fair enough, but he's put it out there for one reason and only one.

Pickford - a mistake

If you come for the ball you have to get there & take it - was never favourite for that one

Lookman does look good, man.

Disagree, although I never played football at a competitive level I did play American football in high school and I find it difficult to believe that Holgate holding is arm out there isn't enough to at the very least direct Lallana away from goal. If he's going for the ball and using his arm for purchase then fair enough, but he's put it out there for one reason and only one.

Of course he's trying to direct him away from goal but that doesn't mean it's a foul. You're going to give a stupid amount of penalties in a game. VVD just slightly nudged Niasse from the Bolasie cross to ease him out of it but its never a penalty. If the Holgate one is you have to give all of those and we're moving towards basketball.

Agree with Peter Reid that Everton were better once Rooney went off.

One thing that Liverpool penalty will bring up again is the use of VAR. Ref thought it was a pen, some people think it was a pen, majority think it isn't from what i've seen. Who gives what and what happens when the majority of football fans don't agree with the VAR. Really don't see how it's going to work.

VAR is only used when the upstairs ref believes there is a "clear error" (at least in MLS). So I'm not sure that incident would even have been flagged for review.

Agree with Peter Reid that Everton were better once Rooney went off.

One thing that Liverpool penalty will bring up again is the use of VAR. Ref thought it was a pen, some people think it was a pen, majority think it isn't from what i've seen. Who gives what and what happens when the majority of football fans don't agree with the VAR. Really don't see how it's going to work.

Same as rugby. It's down to the question from the ref and what was given. Ref gives a pen and VAR reviews it and there isn't enough evidence to overturn then it's still a pen.

It really isn't very hard to understand.

It will be more tricky in football as whether or not something is a foul or a dive is more subjective than in cricket for example which becomes 'he hit it or he didn't' and the DRS system has criteria that have to be met for a decision to be either changed or not. There will be loads of dodgy penalties not overturned because it's not conclusive that the ref was wrong.

It will be more tricky in football as whether or not something is a foul or a dive is more subjective than in cricket for example which becomes 'he hit it or he didn't' and the DRS system has criteria that have to be met for a decision to be either changed or not. There will be loads of dodgy penalties not overturned because it's not conclusive that the ref was wrong.

That's the same as rugby though and it works well on the whole in that game.

I do think though that it's difficult to argue that giving the ref more time and camera angles to view an incident is a bad thing.

A refreshing bit of honesty in the game - Jurgen Klopp has said he did not think it was a penalty. Fair play to him.

Same as rugby. It's down to the question from the ref and what was given. Ref gives a pen and VAR reviews it and there isn't enough evidence to overturn then it's still a pen.

It really isn't very hard to understand.

Maybe understand is not the right word, i get how they're going to get to the decision but what if they still make the wrong one when surely the point of it is to make the right one. They wouldn't have overturned the decision in the Liverpool game tonight despite it never being a penalty and Klopp agreeing. So what's the point in it apart from delaying the game and causing confusion which is what it has done in Italy, Holland and definitely in the confederations cup.

Football is not like rugby imo, there is a clear decision to make such as was the pass forward or did he not ground the ball or was there a foul somewhere but a lot of things in football come down to opinion. As seen in nearly every game that's live and talked about in this thread a number of us debate a decision and it's very rare unless obvious that we all agree. In that case VAR is barely going to work and will not eliminate the controversy of decisions but probably add to them.

In soccer I think there will always be a lot of subjective decision making from the referee but I personally think slowing the game down for VAR is a justifiable price for giving the referee more information than he gets in one real-time viewing.

That's a quality break away goal. Still think if you stuck Sigurdsson behind a striker in a half decent team he'd score 20 a season and get a few assists. The lad can finish.
Agree, he should play as a 10

Back