• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

I knew Andrea Jenkyns was an awful person, and not the brightest, but I didn't realise she originally got in by taking Ed Balls seat off him. Amazing that probably the most high profile casualty of the 2015 election lost out to a moron.
Two of them. Nick Clegg lost to Jared O'Mara.

Weird thing to focus on out of all those other interesting findings. Turns out people tend to blame other people and not themselves? Is that a surprise?

I'm too young to remember, but why did right to buy come about?

Was that to help alleviate a housing crisis? Ultimately it made things worse.

It was a chance for people who never had a chance to get a mortgage to own their own home. Also raised a load of cash for the govt while taking away pressure on councils for maintenance.

Selling aspiration, basically.

If we'd replaced the social housing at the same time it would have been a really good idea. But we didn't.

Mordaunt - Mordant is a character is Steven Donaldson novels.

Gullis isn't cabinet is he? Surely not? The fucking cunt.
Calm down pendant, I wasn’t sure on the spelling.
Gulis isn’t cabinet, but one of the tories you know

It was a chance for people who never had a chance to get a mortgage to own their own home. Also raised a load of cash for the govt while taking away pressure on councils for maintenance.
Also a way of getting traditional Labour voters to be home owners which might make them a bit more 'Tory'

Selling aspiration, basically.

If we'd replaced the social housing at the same time it would have been a really good idea. But we didn't.
Absolutely, if the money raised had been used to build nice, new council houses, it would have had a decent effect on housing shortages.

Absolutely, if the money raised had been used to build nice, new council houses, it would have had a decent effect on housing shortages.
Same with a lot of things under Thatcher, there was never a long-term view.

Close down the mines because they've had their day and they're unprofitable. But don't put anything in place to help the hundreds of thousands of people put out of work and wreck entire communities.

Sell off North Sea gas but don't do what Norway did and have a massive sovereign wealth fund (that continues to benefit them to this day), just take the money and run. Problem with that is once it's gone, it's gone.

Just to illustrate the difference 'right to buy' made, the house we were living in Telford, we could have bought for a shade over 6000 quid.
The house we eventually bought in Newport cost us 20,000. Even allowing for the value difference between Woodside and Newport, that's quite a big saving for a house of similar size.

Same with a lot of things under Thatcher, there was never a long-term view.

Close down the mines because they've had their day and they're unprofitable. But don't put anything in place to help the hundreds of thousands of people put out of work and wreck entire communities.

Sell off North Sea gas but don't do what Norway did and have a massive sovereign wealth fund (that continues to benefit them to this day), just take the money and run. Problem with that is once it's gone, it's gone.
I'll vote for ya.

The Ruge agrees

Tory-voting Ruge these days...

(Blows my tiny mind, stuff like that)
Brexit innit

Before that is was boundary changes and the power of Lichfield got us Fabricunt.

Back in those days he was just spouting bollocks about making it a legal requirement for all houses in the UK to fly Union flag.

It really hasn't.

Right to buy took millions out of government dependence and have them their own assets to manage.

Empowering people is never a bad thing.

The Tories failed by not reinvesting those profits back into the country and used it to recover from a recession following the Wall St crash of the late 80's.

Worth pointing out that right to buy was actually a Labour idea that Thatcher borrowed and tweaked. The key difference is the Tory version banned councils from spending any money raised from sales on building replacement units, even if they wanted to. Deliberately designed as a mass privatisation of the housing sector, rather than as a way of funding new council housing by selling older units as originally intended.

Much like North Sea oil - do we want to invest that one-off windfall in infrastructure like transport, housing, and energy for longer-term prosperity? Or should we use it to underwrite a bunch of tax cuts? As ever, given the choice, they went for the short-term option.

Lots of us here could probably name a fair chunk of her cabinet as well, and know them by just seeing pictures, couldn’t do that with any of the past four prime ministers.
And they resigned if they fucked stuff up or bought embarrassment on the government
didn't cecil parkinson deny his affair, and ended up getting sacked?

Briefly. But even he was a million times better than these twats.

Fucking hell, Mellor was swinging off chandeliers in nothing more than a Chelsea top before plunging into his mistress but I’d trust him more than the current cabinet.

Posting this here because I suppose this is now the de facto general purpose Tory thread as well...

Anyone been sent a copy of this Osborne email going around? Only heard some of it secondhand, and WHEW.

EDIT: OK been forwarded a copy. Mamma mia.

Last edited:
Back