• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

Pound below $1.10 for the first time since 1985. It's all fine though because sorry, just got to take this call.

I looked into this late last year as our fixed rate ended in June this year, called the bank as soon as there were rumblings of the rate rising to find out how early I could refix. Was told could only do so something like a month or 6 months before the term ended but if I were to change the term, just a year would do, then it becomes a new mortgage application and they can hold that offer for 6 months. So we did a new mortgage application mid-December based on keeping our payments the same but thanks to some overpayments we'd made the term came down a bit and that offer held until mid-June. Ended up having to pay about 10 days of early repayment charge for the new mortgage to effectively pay off the existing one before the offer expired, which was only a couple of quid per day I think. Must have got that money back in the first monthly payment considering how much interest rates have gone up since we did the application.
I completed on my new house last month, but had the mortgage offer agreed from Feb. Could have paid the ERC and took a whole new mortgage at a higher rate than currently fixed for 5 years, but instead decided to take a new Mortgage out on the difference, Ported the old mortgage, with a view to redoing that in a few months when my fixed rate expired. Obviously thought I’d get it at a decent ish rate so both chunks were locked in at a decent rate.

That’s all gone down the pisser now with the sharp rise in rates. But that was the gamble i was willing to take, obviously not expecting the rates to be more than double within 6 months. Fortunately the Ported section is only a 1/3 of my total so not the end of the world but not taking the new mortgage is still an expensive decision/mistake.

Mr N Farage thinks todays budget (but not a budget of course) is the best Tory one since1986.

That's all you need to know really

That ended well. Here's hoping. I dont think this administration will last a year as the civil unrest is coming.

That ended well. Here's hoping. I dont think this administration will last a year as the civil unrest is coming.

The maximum 'civil unrest' will be social media noise from people that don't like Conservatives. Tory voters will blame global forces and swallow it, and always vote tory because no matter how bad they are, they're convinced Labour will be worse.

Barely, I'm considerably younger than yow....

People have changed a lot in the last five years, never mind the last 32. I don't think they've got collectively got it in them anymore, because it would mean admitting they were wrong.

Tory voters will blame global forces and swallow it, and always vote tory because no matter how bad they are, they're convinced Labour will be worse
Hearing lots of this today. A "great budget" (it's not a budget...), couldn't have done any better. None of these people earn over the £155k they would need to in order to actually benefit from these actions.
Bottom line (for them) is it's okay for the already rich to get richer, as long as no money goes to the lazy scroungers, the darkies and the gayers.

Hearing lots of this today. A "great budget" (it's not a budget...), couldn't have done any better. None of these people earn over the £155k they would need to in order to actually benefit from these actions.
Bottom line (for them) is it's okay for the already rich to get richer, as long as no money goes to the lazy scroungers, the darkies and the gayers.
The £155k is a bit of a misnomer as in if you are mortgage free and have savings you are also better off due to where interest rates are going

Last edited:
Which had fuck all to do with the budget as the Bank of England set that not the government

No shit and that has absolutely nothing to do with the actions of the government? Inflation isn't going to spiral and interest rates aren't going to be increased as a result?

Last edited:
Deutsche Bank are predicting an emergency rate committee meeting with another rise. The ERM experience in the early 90s should show them that when the markets don’t have faith in what the government is doing then it won’t make any difference.

The maximum 'civil unrest' will be social media noise from people that don't like Conservatives. Tory voters will blame global forces and swallow it, and always vote tory because no matter how bad they are, they're convinced Labour will be worse.
I'm not sure this is the case. People are mobilised quite easily these days and if there are empty shelves and inflation at ridiculous levels I think strike action and civil unrest won't be far away.

When you've got small C conservatives calling this lot right wingers there's not a lot to do civil unrest.

You must've been alive for the London riots?

He's an absolute foreskin of a man. I hate him more than I hate Starsailor.

Back