• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Keir Starmer at it again..

I lost 10 stone eating a ‘bit’ less and exercising a ‘lot’ more. Small sample size but it worked.

Edit - no diet content changes at all.
The theory is that when you exercise you may “burn” 600 calories, but your body diverts that energy away from other functions as a protection system. So you only end up “burning” 300 for examples. Then because you’ve exercised, you then eat more food than you would have done normally so you’ve gained nothing/little.

Obviously if your exercising a lot (10k runs, 2 hour bike rides) ergo burning shit tons of calories but eating the same then of course you will lose weight as you’ve gone into a big deficit. But that’s unrealistic for the majority as they are only pottering round the gym for an hour or walking the dog.

I think it's basically "that Lizzo's fat, she shouldn't be wearing a leotard"
She can wear what she wants, but understand that people are going to make comments if she does. If she's fine with that then more power to her.

She can wear what she wants, but understand that people are going to make comments if she does. If she's fine with that then more power to her.

One of the very first thing we're all taught in primary school is "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". It's not that hard to keep unpleasant or unkind thoughts to oneself

At least a couple of people appear to have grasped the point I was making. We don’t promote smoking any more. We restrict drinks ads. Many on here disagree with gambling sponsorship. All these are harmful, yet obesity, which can be equally harmful, is celebrated by people (such as Lizzo, yes, although she’s not the only one) who are in a position to influence our youngsters; to make them think that being fat is a 'good thing'. Well, objectively speaking, it isn’t; it’s bad for you and it’s bad for society. No one is born fat; it's not a disease. For most, it's a choice. And if objecting to that is offensive to woke sentiments, you're welcome to that opinion. Mine is different: I happen to find obesity one of the more offensive demonstrations of a society rich enough to be both figuratively and literally over-indulgent. @Tony Towner is correct to flag up the mental health problem that’s been created, but body shaming isn’t the cause of it; our fucked-up world is.

At least a couple of people appear to have grasped the point I was making. We don’t promote smoking any more. We restrict drinks ads. Many on here disagree with gambling sponsorship. All these are harmful, yet obesity, which can be equally harmful, is celebrated by people (such as Lizzo, yes, although she’s not the only one) who are in a position to influence our youngsters; to make them think that being fat is a 'good thing'. Well, objectively speaking, it isn’t; it’s bad for you and it’s bad for society. No one is born fat; it's not a disease. For most, it's a choice. And if objecting to that is offensive to woke sentiments, you're welcome to that opinion. Mine is different: I happen to find obesity one of the more offensive demonstrations of a society rich enough to be both figuratively and literally over-indulgent. @Tony Towner is correct to flag up the mental health problem that’s been created, but body shaming isn’t the cause of it; our fucked-up world is.
Your ignorance is showing here as loud and proud as Lizzo in a bikini.

And having bear in your corner is not a badge of honour you want here.

I think he's using language people can conceptually understand rather than being technically correct.
However, using this kind of language, and the whole 'maxing out the country's credit card' bullshit just deliberately obfuscates the issue and is economic illiteracy. It is basically used as an excuse for and attempt to legitimise austerity.

I think he's using language people can conceptually understand rather than being technically correct.

It can be explained in a way that is easy to conceptually understand without being misleading.

A sum of money that is set aside for genuinely unexpected and unplanned spending (this has historically included costs for military interventions).

In year savings by department can and have been returned to treasury reserves (this was Jeremy Hunt’s defence to the spending made from the reserves this year)

The use of Treasury Reserves have not been used in the spirit of the guidance, costs for dealing with small boat crossings for example.

It is not an overdraft.

It can be explained in a way that is easy to conceptually understand without being misleading.

A sum of money that is set aside for genuinely unexpected and unplanned spending (this has historically included costs for military interventions).

In year savings by department can and have been returned to treasury reserves (this was Jeremy Hunt’s defence to the spending made from the reserves this year)

The use of Treasury Reserves have not been used in the spirit of the guidance, costs for dealing with small boat crossings for example.

It is not an overdraft.
It's a way of trying to explain all that in a way that is consumable for most people. People understand the concept of using an overdraft as being the exception rather than the norm.

Most people don't have an emergency fund stashed away, and the ones that do would understand the analogy.

I do agree that austerity is a flawed concept that hurts the most vulnerable in society. And if my memory serves me correctly, is based on flawed data anyway.

It's a way of trying to explain all that in a way that is consumable for most people. People understand the concept of using an overdraft as being the exception rather than the norm.

Most people don't have an emergency fund stashed away, and the ones that do would understand the analogy.
But it isn't an overdraft in any way, shape or form.

It's dishonest language.

Back