• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

No way we’ll sell Neves in the same way we wouldn’t sell Jota? If someone offers 45m plus he’ll go, we’ve pretty much said as much in the interviews last summer.
Next Summer will be the time. Jeff will delve into his big book of bullshit excuses as to why we can't sign anyone without funding it from a sale. Neves, Kilman and Neto assuming he comes back at the same level being his options. Troare will be out of the big bucks stakes by then given the contract situation

Next Summer will be the time. Jeff will delve into his big book of bullshit excuses as to why we can't sign anyone without funding it from a sale. Neves, Kilman and Neto assuming he comes back at the same level being his options. Troare will be out of the big bucks stakes by then given the contract situation
I find this post very depressing, if not realistic.

I reckon Jeff is praying for a couple of weeks of behind closed doors football. He'll use that as an excuse to keep the money in the bank. Be very interested to see how much of the Fosun loan/s has been paid back. Was about £125m owed in the last accounts if I remember rightly?

We’ll keep selling to buy and be net zero until we inevitably no longer have the quality to stay in the Premier League. Depressing as it is, that’s the way I see it. Maybe at the point where we get in trouble they’ll open up their cheque book again but who knows.

Another loan from Macquarie. £26.8m secured against the instalments due from Liverpool for Jota.

Another loan from Macquarie. £26.8m secured against the instalments due from Liverpool for Jota.
I don't understand why we gave Liverpool such favourable repayment terms if it meant that we have to go to a bank for the equivalent income. Either financing charges were factored into the deal or its another mistake from the man at the top.

I don't understand why we gave Liverpool such favourable repayment terms if it meant that we have to go to a bank for the equivalent income. Either financing charges were factored into the deal or its another mistake from the man at the top.
Looking an increasingly poor bit of transfer business.

Sadly Jeff won't do anything about it. I fear he'll have to be sacked by Fosun for it to change.

Last edited:
Isn't this the usual financing we do every year but rather than being secured against TV money it's secured against the Jota money?

The obvious question though is why we need to borrow money from a 3rd party anyway. Surely we could get a much better 'rate' from Fosun and then everyone wins, apart from Macquarie

I wouldn't call it usual, but it is the second time. Something doesn't feel right when cashflow is so tight. If we are paying back Fosun loans which were interest free, then why take one out which presumably comes with a charge to cover it?

It is not unusual in football or wider business. Borrowing to level out cash flow is an alternative to the owner putting in money and a good business model does not rely on wealthy benefactors to keep it going. Transfer fees and TV income are major revenue streams in football yet both are routinely staggered so this type of lending smooths out the peaks of troughs of irregular income. I doesn’t suggest there is anything to be concerned about.

It is not unusual in football or wider business. Borrowing to level out cash flow is an alternative to the owner putting in money and a good business model does not rely on wealthy benefactors to keep it going. Transfer fees and TV income are major revenue streams in football yet both are routinely staggered so this type of lending smooths out the peaks of troughs of irregular income. I doesn’t suggest there is anything to be concerned about.
If this is true then it's because we paid the Fabio money all up front and a few weeks later took the Jota money in back end loaded payments. We are now having to pay interest on unlocking that money, that's not good business. That's even before judging the merits of the deals themselves.

I don't get what we need that money for though. Unless the Fosun loan payments have been battered we should have substantial reserves.

This feels different to borrowing against TV money, which is quite usual. Taking it against jota money that's 6 & 18 months away from hitting us is like lending your mate some money and then having to get a loan to pay your own bills.

I'd imagine the Jota money has less risk than TV money given COVID

As has been stated above, it makes no sense why cashflow is so poor. Our wages to turnover ratio is (was) low. Unless we’ve given the whole team 50% pay increases then we should be pretty good in that regard.

Obviously if our cash flow is poor from transfer activity then that’s terrible management as the books have been balanced for a few years now.

Hopefully they use it to do some work towards the Steve Bull at the end of the season. Stand is a joke.

Back