• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Huddersfield (A) 26/2 Build-Up

I don-t know if anyone as bought up the amount of very poor passes we did last night. I watched it live on TV, and as well as Jonny played I lost count of the number of times when he was in a good position, and then passed the ball to an Huddersfield player.

Mostly when he uses his left foot I've noticed. Must misjudge the power he needs on it

I think its very simple really. The top 6 are the top 6 for a reason because they can play their own game and have the quality to win the majority of games against everyone else. They do this by having a lot of quality players especially in attack. We are trying to emulate that with our "identity" sticking to the way we play steadfastly regardless of the opposition (excepting the Cardiff away game).

Nuno will recruit to carry on playing the way he sees as our long term project and when the quality arrives we will edge closer to this goal.
This is an amazingly competitive league that we play in and it won't happen in the next 3 years.

If it works we will make it into a top 7 first, but for all the ambition we have we have got to go along with the FFP brought in to protect the top clubs as they are now.
As it stands we would'nt be able to pay 3 x Alexi Sanchez's wages. In three years time we could have 6 of him.
This is based on the the assumption that the £393,000pw + £75,000 play bonus is correct and that we can pay £67m this year rising by £19m per annum if our revenue increases enough to do that. (i'm no expert) but you see what I'm getting at.

In summary the big 6 have lots of money and can pay the best footballers, we have to do it a different way and build up the amount we get in to maximise the extra per annum we can spend.

And yeah we should be beating Huddersfield.

Yep this, for instance Liverpool's reserves who played us in the FA Cup cost nearly twice as much as our first team.

We are a mid-table club for a reason, there is a dip in form from time to time, players get jaded and we haven't got the squad to rotate like the big 6 teams have.

Used to read the match day threads to follow games that I cant see, but dont bother now, follow the BBC one instead, less painful.

Yep we should be beating Huddersfield, they are one of the worst sides in the top division for a long time, then again I remember our bunch of misfits who were way worse then Huddersfield are now, taking 4 pts (and should have been 6) from the side who would eventually win the European Cup/League title double back in 1984, happens to even the best of them.

Yep this, for instance Liverpool's reserves who played us in the FA Cup cost nearly twice as much as our first team.

We are a mid-table club for a reason, there is a dip in form from time to time, players get jaded and we haven't got the squad to rotate like the big 6 teams have.

Used to read the match day threads to follow games that I cant see, but dont bother now, follow the BBC one instead, less painful.

Yep we should be beating Huddersfield, they are one of the worst sides in the top division for a long time, then again I remember our bunch of misfits who were way worse then Huddersfield are now, taking 4 pts (and should have been 6) from the side who would eventually win the European Cup/League title double back in 1984, happens to even the best of them.

Steve Mardenborough will never be forgotten!

Out last night so didn't hear or see any of this

Have watched the highlights (which we appeared not to be awful in without being in anyway good) plus read various stuff on here & elsewhere.

Seems to have been a real lack of intensity from us, whether that's psychological having reached the 40 pt mark or physical with a small squad, which may well need to be bolstered if we are to improve our position from this point (this isn't intrinsically a problem as long as long as we don't suffer a significant number of injuries).

Given that Huddersfield were not going to be the most 'technical' side we came up against, but would be likely to put a real effort in then it may be that we needed the 'more robust' players out there - would have though that Saiss for one of the midfield 3 might have been a sensible option. Also didn't look like the subs made any significant change to the way the game was going.

We have shown (on the whole) the ability to deal with defeats like this since Nuno came here so I would hope that he & his coaching staff come up with a method of dealing with this sort of game, which will happen (& will do so next season as well).

This is still a successful season with more highs than lows - if we wish to progress then we will need to increase the ratio towards the highs & eliminate mistakes & the odd weak performance.

Mostly when he uses his left foot I've noticed. Must misjudge the power he needs on it

I've seen that a few times, he's not actually a left footed player so his natural instinct is to cut in to release it on his right foot.

I wouldn't call that a sitter, if he takes a touch then it's potentially a much easier chance as he should've still have time to get a shot off before the defenders could close him down but the chance as he took it wasn't easy. Poor decision more so than execution for me, more worrying that it's about as good as it got in front of goal.

I thought Raul's header is an easier chance and he connects very poorly. Boly jumps to early for his header and there were plenty of times we got through on goal only to take a very poor touch or wrong decision. Jota chipped a couple of crosses straight to the 'keeper and both Raul, Jota and Doc time their runs badly and get caught offside.

Let's not overreact.

Points against teams above us = 9 from 9
Points against teams below us = 31 from 19

We have beaten plenty of teams who are worse than us, so to say this has been a problem all season isn't true. In relation to Huddersfield, yes, there is clearly a problem. But there aren't actually that many games where this has happened. For the Cardiff game Nuno decided to change the tactics up which was a mistake but even then we only lost to a wonderstrike. Brighton away was a freak result, dominated them throughout and should have had a penalty - if we had scored first there is no chance Brighton get anything from that game. Take away those two and how many games are there where we have played our regular system and not performed at our best against inferior sides apart from Huddersfield? Fulham away and the home games against Palace and Newcastle probably. It's really not that many, not enough to warrant the reaction that this result is garnering.

Why do people insist on using these two sides as evidence that we do poorly against the bottom clubs? Palace are a solid side (not to mention one we have already beaten) and even then their win over us was a freak result. And the way some people talk about Watford on this forum I find quite complacent and entitled as they're a good team with a decent manager who knew exactly how to neutralise us tactically. That is why they are close to the exact same position as us for Europe, cup and league. Yet people make out like we lost to relegation-tier fodder. It's quite ironic as the forum loves to poke fun at fans on other forums who under-estimate Wolves and think they have some God-given right to beat us but we do the same by disrespecting our main rival for Europe.

Because we had already won away and winning away is harder than winning at home traditionally and statistically

Trying to erase this from my memory. Just one of those nights, christ knows what it is about Huddersfield with us this season.

Need to bounce back on Saturday now and forget about it.

Guys , the match day thread has become the verdict thread. No one actually comments, much, on the game as it is being played anymore. It's a shame I used to follow the game on here, but frankly, there is no game to follow anymore.
Could we have a match day thread that talks about the game as it is being played, a verdict thread, and a "scratch you ayes out you bitch thread" for those who simply want a fight.

Guys , the match day thread has become the verdict thread. No one actually comments, much, on the game as it is being played anymore. It's a shame I used to follow the game on here, but frankly, there is no game to follow anymore.
Could we have a match day thread that talks about the game as it is being played, a verdict thread, and a "scratch you ayes out you bitch thread" for those who simply want a fight.

Problem is if you can't get access to commentary etc its much simpler to follow the game via Tim 2 or Wolves on twitter, there's no need for ongoing commentary on here. Especially as radio commentary is available worldwide for free on Wolves's website.

You're right though, these threads are a total shit show. We should definitely go back to having separate verdict threads, with hopefully a bit more thought behind the comments.

You're right though, these threads are a total shit show. We should definitely go back to having separate verdict threads, with hopefully a bit more thought behind the comments.

This is just people being idle really and not bothering to start a new thread :icon_lol: There's no policy to not have a verdict thread.

The comms threads ARE ridiculously negative, every single week, irrespective of how we're doing.

This is just people being idle really and not bothering to start a new thread :icon_lol: There's no policy to not have a verdict thread.

The comms threads ARE ridiculously negative, every single week, irrespective of how we're doing.

Yeah, I just liked the idea of locking and archiving these threads as soon as tbh...

Well from what I have seen from the highlights, it simply confirms my impression , that we are too nice! We have no one , ala mike bailey, who is adept at the dark arts of football. I know the laws have changed over the years , but we have no one in the side, who simply gets "pissed", and gets stuck in. We never seemed to win a second ball, no one got tough with their ball players and let them know they were in a game.
Maybe, when it comes to bottom of the table teams, we have to pick some warriors, to simply get out there and get stuck in. I love the football we play,but we are , apart from the best of the rest, also, maybe , the nice guys of the prem, and that, will not win fuck all!

We have the second most yellow cards in the PL, putting our foot in isn't the problem. We are particularly adept at tactical fouling

I must admit that I'd rather have separate matchday and verdict threads.

The main reason being that if I've watched the game (which I normally do) I would rather go straight to the verdict thread and see what others thought of it. Wading through the overly negative matchday posts is a bit of a pain, it's never decent reading no matter how we're playing!

I'll try and start verdict threads if I'm online at full time, but if others could keep a look out too and start one up if needed, that'd be splendid.

Following our loss to Huddersfield and Watford's loss to Liverpool, we have gone back up to 7th place in the league. :)

What is with the "overly negative matchday" posts? People aren't that negative. It was agreed we were playing poorly in this last game, but... I mean... weren't we??

Christ almighty you guys act like people are screaming "nuno out, the players are cunts, wolves suck, shambles, no fuck you mate, I DISAGREE RABBLE RABBLE". The whining about negativity over the last few weeks is 10x worse than the actual comments being made.

It's every game. Even if we're winning.

Doesn't actually bother me much personally as I just don't read them any more. Looks a bit shit though.

I do read them though and don't find them particularly negative. It's not every game. It would certainly annoy me if people were being unduly poor toward the players/team, but it's not really any different than collective groaning/cheering at a match itself.

Some (ahem) seem to be rather sensitive to the non-positive comment, which is far more annoying.

Meta discussions are just as obnoxious as anything else though so I'll leave it at that. Just find all of these comments rather odd, especially in this of all threads. Who walked away from the game on Tuesday feeling great about the result?!

What is with the "overly negative matchday" posts? People aren't that negative. It was agreed we were playing poorly in this last game, but... I mean... weren't we??

Christ almighty you guys act like people are screaming "nuno out, the players are cunts, wolves suck, shambles, no fuck you mate, I DISAGREE RABBLE RABBLE". The whining about negativity over the last few weeks is 10x worse than the actual comments being made.

That's nowhere near as bad as people moaning about people moaning about people moaning. :)

Back