• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Horses for The Festival

Barters Hill not as impressive as i would have hoped there. Didn't jump well and didn't seem straight forward but got the job done.

Thoroughly enjoyable if not particularly lucrative day yesterday.

Biggest plus point for me was the outcome of the Neptune trial.

SV must now surely go for the Bartlett. They wouldn't want to take Yanworth on again even on better ground and Barter's Hill looked to be huffing and puffing a bit at the end after some fairly ropey jumping.

Have already backed SV in the 'any race' market but couldn't resist taking the last of the 12s for the Bartlett shortly after the race.

I think Shantou Village is the most likely to put it up to Barters Hill now but i still think Barters Hill is a worthy favourite. Having watched it back a lot went wrong, he was taken on for the lead, didn't jump well, didn't travel great at times, came under pressure a way out yet nothing was ever going to go past him and trainer has said he isn't even tired today. Think AP could be right when he said that he's a deceptive horse that looks like he's making hard work of something when he isn't.

I mentioned earlier in the thread i had a small bet on Dynaste for the Ryanair at 48 and i have had a little bit more on since which if he runs now looks even better with Smad Place going to the GC, surely he's not going to go off any bigger than 7 or 8/1 if he runs.

I actually like BH and he's the sort I'd normally pile on in a flash. Genuine grinder that hates not being in front and puts lesser horses under real pressure early in a race.

I just worry about how he will handle the nuisance factor of a bigger field and a bit of proper pressure on his jumping round Cheltenham.

I actually like BH and he's the sort I'd normally pile on in a flash. Genuine grinder that hates not being in front and puts lesser horses under real pressure early in a race.

I just worry about how he will handle the nuisance factor of a bigger field and a bit of proper pressure on his jumping round Cheltenham.

I agree with that especially after seeing his jumping yesterday but i feel he will get to the front and if he jumps better nothing will be able to go past him. Definitely will be interesting to see how he jumps.

R2R shortening for the Ryanair although that may have more to do with Smad Place confirming target as GC than any intelligence based punting move.

Clear that Meade wants him to go Gold and a decent spin over 3m in the Irish GC should settle matters.

Personally think he would have won last year on better ground.

John's Spirit down to a mark of 145.

Watched him take a leisurely glide over the line on Saturday after sauntering around like a pensioner out for a Sunday afternoon spin in the Hillman. Took 5th in the Ryanair off 160.

Jonjo 'at it' as always I would venture.

25/1 for the Plate.

Think that could be a decent shout, will love the much better ground and as you say Jonjo has just a little bit of form for this sort of thing.

Anyone know if Notebook (from yesterday's tipping thread) will run at Cheltenham? I've no idea if he's even in that class of horse but his run was very impressive yesterday.

If you interested running tomorrow in the 3.15, odds not great 5/4

Cheers Donegal I'll take a look.

Always go in Tatts on the Tuesday, but this year upgraded to Club. Any tips (not horses) on where to head to, which bars to use and where to view from in the new grandstand?
Make a change, nice one I hope, from the Guinness Village.

We also all normally meet in the pub [Midland Hotel I think] right by the station as we arrive from different places in the UK. Any others nearby anyone recommends instead? Close enough to walk to and meet, couple of pints as our staggered arrival timed trains come in.

We always stop at the King's Head in Bishops Cleave for a few Guinness and breakfast.

The modifications they've made has made it loads better. Not keen on the Guinness Village, bit cramped for me.

Champagne bar is pretty good and well set out. The draw back is they sell champagne.

I know the Kings Head as its not too far from Cheltenham Town's academy pitches and we go there after an academy game. Train to the Festival though, so once in Cheltenham not venturing out.

Guinness Village has lost its appeal a little and is too busy especially if very cold or wet. Went in unfinished Granstand for 2014 International meeting and thought it would be good when completed, hence upgrade this year.
Always have a champagne before the first race is a rule of ours - as you probably can't afford one after the last.

Just had a stab at Solstice Star for the Albert Bartlett @ 50/1

Check out the entries for the 3.00 at Plumpton on Monday.

Fishing for a mark this side of the water?

Plumpton form always a good pointer for Cheltenham.....

I think this may be Willie's 'dark one'.

Check out the entries for the 3.00 at Plumpton on Monday.

Fishing for a mark this side of the water?

Plumpton form always a good pointer for Cheltenham.....

I think this may be Willie's 'dark one'.

Great spot, Townshend, if he runs I'll watch with interest.

Back