• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Horses for The Festival

Killultagh Vic has been heavily backed for the JLT. Into 6/7's.

The next race he's entered up for has been a prep for Mullins JLT horses for the last 4 years, so it would seem he's heading there.

I know. I've been watching his price tumble all week and have been wrangling about what to do.

Think you can still get 6s in the 'any race' market with Hills with an e/w option.

I'm trying to tie down something for the Ryanair, but it just looks like a complete minefield. If we go through the runners as listed on Oddschecker to try and determine their target, we've got:

Vautour - Gold Cup
Smad Place - Ryanair, but not keen on the price
Al Ferof - Ryanair, but don't think he's good enough
Road to Riches - Has to go to the Gold Cup for me. The Don's have more question marks over them than this lad. Gigi will ultimately decide though but not one I'd want to take a price on now
Cue Card - Gold Cup
Vroum Vroum Mag - Looks like a Mares or World Hurdle bid which is disappointing
Sprinter Sacre - Champion Chase
Valseur Lido - Possibly, but Mullins seems to think he wants 3 miles. As per R2R, Gigs will throw one at this race so he could end up here
Sound Investment - Ryanair, but question marks over whether he's got further improvement in him to be considered good enough outside of the big handicaps
Irish Cavalier - As above
Champagne West - As above
Village Vic - As above
Vibrato Valtat - He's being stepped up in trip so this would look like the obvious race for him. A very good horse on his day, but just lacks that bit of speed for 2m. 20/1 interests me.
Dynaste - Shocking this season, can't have him.
Don Cossack - Gold Cup
Champagne Fever - Out for a while now, but certainly wouldn't be 25/1 if he turns up here. One to monitor.
Simonsig - Injured again
Apache Stronghold - Injured
Kings Palace - Shocking festival form and not been seen for a while. This would be the logical race for him if he's aimed at the Festival.
Ma Filleule - Hasn't looked anywhere near the horse of last season. She is talented though and has good Spring form, so I wouldn't completely write her off.
Felix Yonger - A good horse, also has Champion Chase option. Would interest me on the day, but I'd want to know where he was going first.
Ptit Zig - World Hurdle
Hidden Cyclone - Could end up here, but he's thoroughly exposed.

I'm not going to delve any deeper than that, but just taking the above into consideration I think we're likely to see the following go to post:

Smad Place
Al Ferof
Sound Investment
Irish Cavalier
Vibrato Valtat
Champagne West
Ma Filleule
Valseur Lido/Road to Riches/Sir Des Champs

Possibles:

Kings Palace
Hidden Cyclone
Village Vic
Felix Yonger
Champagne Fever

Plus the odd other that I've not taken into consideration.

At the prices, I'd take a small E/W on Vibrato Valtat @ 20/1 now and then wait to see the Gigginstown plans. Obviously if Mullins decides to send Vautour here it's game over, but he's never had much affinity for the race so I'm banking on him turning up in the Gold Cup.

Fair play for that write up Nando, I still feel Vautour will head to the Gold Cup. There is only one Gold Cup and sometimes you only get one chance. Road to Riches I'm not so sure, but feel he deserves another chance at the Blue Riband. Al Ferof for me will head here for sure as he can't win the Gold Cup, he is a horse who always gives you everything and has the measure of Smad Place. He is the one for me.

Was looking at this again yesterday and decided i would back Dynaste. Had a small bet at 48 on betfair last night on the basis that he is a classy horse and that if he came back to form would go very close in this if Vautour doesn't turn up. His first run in England this year was a good one behind Cue Card and i would hope he can get back to that sort of form and he definitely won't be anywhere near that price.

A'toi Phil looks useful. 20's out there for the Neptune.

Starting to get excited. My day 1 horses:

Min
Douvan
Kings Palace
Faugheen
Vrom Vrom Mag
Killutagh Vic
Pairofbrowneyes

80000/1

Looking at the first day i can understand why Faugheen and Douvan are the price they are but why is Min EVS in places. Absolute joke price considering he's beat nothing and there's actual competition from the likes of Altior and Buveur D'air. I know he's an absolute monster according to all reports but can't be having him at that price, Douvan went of at 2/1 last year in the Supreme in comparison.

Off to to Trials on Saturday. Who's booked in for March and on what days?

I'll be there first and last day.

Illegally excited.

I'm there Tuesday and Thursday.

I'm a member of Racegoers and there tent passes are a god send. Bar, screens, food and betting stand.

Why Altior?

Beat everything put in front of him which have also had good form. Looks like he's getting better. Min probably will win if the vibes are right but can't be having him at EVS purely for value.

Off to to Trials on Saturday. Who's booked in for March and on what days?

I'll be there first and last day.

Illegally excited.

I'm there same days as you. Been counting down the days since the tickets came.

There on Tuesday and Friday - can't wait for it to roll round now

Onenightinvienna, who I've had in numerous EW acca's misses Cheltenham and will go for the National.

Cocking hell!

Moon Racer being aimed at the Supreme. Might be tempted by the 33/1 from Corals as he's clearly a bloody good animal, but first time out over hurdles in the Supreme is going to be tough going!

Anyone know if Notebook (from yesterday's tipping thread) will run at Cheltenham? I've no idea if he's even in that class of horse but his run was very impressive yesterday.

Not a chance. Lowest rated horse in a handicap hurdle at the festival, outside of the 4 year old handicap, was rated 134. He won rated 91 yesterday so is a long way off.

He'll go up a fair whack for that win, maybe up towards 100 but not good enough for Cheltenham.

Ok cheers. I know nothing of these things!

Back