• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Home v Huddersfield 25.11.18

It's a wonder you ever leave the house Cyber.

No. As I pointed out in the match thread, this idea of playing teams into form is nonsense. We beat Burnley, Southampton, West Ham and Palace when they were all struggling.

The rest about form of the team/players is the combination of teams we've faced (Spurs/Arsenal) plus a couple of unexpectedly poor performances (Watford/Huddersfield).

No. As I pointed out in the match thread, this idea of playing teams into form is nonsense. We beat Burnley, Southampton, West Ham and Palace when they were all playing rubbish.

The rest about form of the team/players is the combination of teams we've faced (Spurs/Arsenal) plus a couple of unexpectedly poor performances (Watford/Huddersfield).

It's a wonder you ever leave the house Cyber.

giphy.gif

Me on match day , avoiding cracks in the pavement

I am chucking this on here as it applies to this game and it could have gone else where.

I take a lot of stick on here from the statisticians for my angst re curses, jinxes etc and I do agree that there is often little evidence to back it up but looking at this season so far I would highlight

Manager of the Month- Havent won a game since
Player of the month- Doherty hasnt had a good game since and has publicly fallen out with his former manager (international)
Watford- No win in 5 and come to Wolves having lost 4-0 at home to Bournemouth and we are on a 6 match unbeaten run- play us off the park
Huddersfield- sitting bottom of the league- Come to Molineux and play us off the park to continue thier run against us when they have lost only once in donkeys years.
November- not won a game this month.

Now there may be no rhyme or reason to it but I totally get why some of our fans , including me, get so nervous when in 13 games all these have come to pass! Cardiff sit second from bottom btw. Should I be worried?

Fucks sake man.

We haven't won since I bought a new wallet either. Maybe I should chuck that in the bin if we're saying that everything that has happened since the 6th of October has had an impact on our form.

We haven't won since I started reading Harry Potter to my daughter.

Fetch me a lighter.

We haven't won since I started reading Harry Potter to my daughter.

We haven't won since I bought a new wallet either. Maybe I should chuck that in the bin if we're saying that everything that has happened since the 6th of October has had an impact on our form.

Now sadly that is exactly what I would do. I have burnt shirts that I deemed bought bad luck. Harry Potter would be expeliamoused until we won another game and I would swap walletts. You take the piss. Its an afliction! Its a form of OCD. Trying to justify it helps me stop it! You continually berating me for it makes it worse ffs! https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/are-you-superstitious/

There's a lot here that just don't make sense so I felt obligated to respond.

I am chucking this on here as it applies to this game and it could have gone else where.

I take a lot of stick on here from the statisticians for my angst re curses, jinxes etc and I do agree that there is often little evidence to back it up but looking at this season so far I would highlight

• Manager of the Month- Havent won a game since
An interesting detail about this supposed curse is that it's a MOTM award for September so surely in this case it should be applied from the end of the month, rather than the random date which the governing body rocks up to training to hand the award over (unless we are assuming they plant some sort of haunted memento inside to plague us for the following fixture) - although because we won our first game in October this obviously wouldn't fit the narrative.
There have been instances where we won the game after receiving the award before: Mick in August 2008 and Jackett in March 2014. There are literally dozens of instances where a team has won a game after the MOTM award as is. Is this specifically a Wolves curse or does it follow all teams? Does each team have its own shaman on their forum to identify which curses their team is afflicted with?

• Player of the month- Doherty hasnt had a good game since and has publicly fallen out with his former manager (international)
The general opinion on here (which I share) is that he is not very good and out of his depth at this level, so it's not all that surprising he has been poor. That said he did have a good game at Arsenal like most of the team so this isn't true. We've had many players do well after getting POTM - Leo won it for October and scored throughout November. Suppose the curse was a little late for that one.
I see the curse harms professional relationships also now. Doherty has been (correctly) criticising O'Neill for his poor coaching - not only is this completely unrelated but Doc's dislike of O'Neill precedes him winning the award by a number of months.

• Watford- No win in 5 and come to Wolves having lost 4-0 at home to Bournemouth and we are on a 6 match unbeaten run- play us off the park
They did not play us off the park, we were hit with two quick goals which we never recovered from. Those five Watford fixtures were Man United (H), Fulham (A), Spurs (A), Arsenal (A) Bournemouth (H) - a winless run against those opponents is hardly some massive shock, just disappointing results. If no win in 5 means you are automatically entitled to a win in your next game it is interesting you predict us to lose to Cardiff after the same run. West Ham had lost 3 league games on the spin and we beat them, Burnley also (winless in four). Southampton lost 3-0 before we played them. Watford had only won at Molinuex once out of their last seventeen visits before then.

• Huddersfield- sitting bottom of the league- Come to Molineux and play us off the park to continue thier run against us when they have lost only once in donkeys years.
West Ham were bottom and we beat them, same with Burnley. "Lost only once in donkeys years" but we beat them both home and away in 2015. Watford have an awful record of winning at Molineux but still did - I'd be interested to know how this works, or does a poor record in one case mean they are 'due a win' and in another means the loss is guaranteed. Our results away to Hull (first win there since 2006/07), to Norwich (2006/07), Reading (04/05), Ipswich (08/09, and we finally beat Mick, twice), Middlesbrough (1937/38), Bolton (1998/99) last season suggests that these bogey teams and curses are nonsense.

• November- not won a game this month.
Our 3 games this month were against Spurs, Arsenal, and Huddersfield. Did you expect us to beat the first two? Consider the opposition before you peddle nonsense. We won 4/4 last season. Last time we were in the Prem Mick won November games in 2010 and 2011 so this is not some rubbish you can say does not apply in the Prem.

Now there may be no rhyme or reason to it but I totally get why some of our fans , including me, get so nervous when in 13 games all these have come to pass! Cardiff sit second from bottom btw. Should I be worried?
Considering how good you are at seeing these sort of things before they happen you shouldn't be worried as you probably know the result. Or maybe you are just good at looking back on things and selecting the patterns to suit your narrative.

There's a lot here that just don't make sense so I felt obligated to respond.

Thanks for that.The last three managers of the month have all lost their next game. #fact.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manager-of-the-month-is-it-a-curse-m5lkh7l2w
https://eurofantasyleague.com/news/...onth-curse-is-a-very-real-thing/#.W_1lsOKnyUk

Didnt think Doherty was more than a 6 v Arsenal. Bonatini was announced POTM on 6th November and scored 2 more goals that season. One in November and 1 in December. He was scoring for fun before the award

Arsenal and Spurs I agree, but Huddersfield ( even if we agree they are a bogey team -youre in a catch 22 on this one arent you)-Should be beating the team at the bottom at home given our stated aims and ambitions. No question. To suggest otherwise is quite frankly , wrong. I like the fact that you use the exception to prove the crazy rule though! All the curse breakers were from our record breaking title winning year. We should have been beating those sides before then- but didnt! Norwich ( beat us 5-2 and drew 3-3 in our 2009 winning season while being relegated themsleves) , Bolton, Middlesbrough,

November 2016 Played 3 won 0 drawn 1 lost 2
November 2015 Played 4 won 0 drawn 3 lost 1
November 2014 played 5 won 0 drawn 1 lost 4- and we were 7th at the time.

Correct about last November and at the time I commented that we had broken the jinx somewhat, but we still managed to not score and not beat the worst team in the league last year in Sunderland so it wasnt all roses.

So the patterns arent quite as selective. Agreed its not 100% each time every time but its a bit more than coincidence and it happens more than probability says it should.

Yes, do this. It's not worth keeping due to the risk of losing to Colin on friday.

Jokes aside, I once had a phase where I had to shave every home game or we wouldn't win. This wasn't a guarantee that we would win mind...

Fortunately I'm well over that, hence my now magnificent stubble I sport :D

Actually thinking about it I had a haircut two days after the Palace game. If only I'd been willing to look like Ian Walker circa 1997 for a while, none of this would have happened.

Back