• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

The game sounds like it was just a kick around, doubt our best 11 played together at any time in the game.

Ah, the day when Tim (and many others) wrote Jonny off as a LWB and went crying into their cornflakes about Baz leaving because he put a shit cross in.

That turned out well.

Haha I remember that day and remmeber worrying about his left foot :icon_lol:

What can I say, fickle and football go together well

I stand by the fact that Jonny isn't a lwb. He rarely beats a man, rarely gets crosses in, rarely scores and when we are on top is one of the reasons we don't press home that advantage. He's a bloody good left back though

He's what Football Manager (and, I imagine, people who know more about these things than me irl?) calls an inverted wing-back - cuts inside like an inside forward rather than sticks to the touchline. Works well with Jota cos it means he's available for those quick one-twos that open up space in opposition defensive lines. If you're set up to play that way tactically, do you really need a left foot for crossing as much?

Similar on the right with Doherty, because Traore can be the crosser.

He's what Football Manager (and, I imagine, people who know more about these things than me irl?) calls an inverted wing-back - cuts inside like an inside forward rather than sticks to the touchline. Works well with Jota cos it means he's available for those quick one-twos that open up space in opposition defensive lines. If you're set up to play that way tactically, do you really need a left foot for crossing as much?

Similar on the right with Doherty, because Traore can be the crosser.

I guess you could say that, but it's probably a lot more tailored to Nuno's system/philosophy.

When Traore is in the team, it unbalances us somewhat because we adapt to his style, we make him defend slightly less (and "later") which means we are a bit lopsided. It took us a while to get used to it IMO but we've got better as the season goes on. As a result Jonny probably doesn't play as high, slightly inside as you mention so that we have the right balance of plays in front and behind the ball (in case we have to defend a counter attack).

I know what TT means, it's tempting to play Vinagre more in games where a team plays in a deep block and we need more width, someone who can go round the outside to make the distances between their defenders bigger, but Nuno doesn't tend to chop and change like that based on the opposition. So if we did play Vinagre in those games, maybe we might win more of those frustrating draws at home to Brighton (I think we have improved in this regard anyway, to be fair, without doing that) but it might upset the general flow and performance of the team.

Jonny is such a clever player, in possession as well as his defensive positioning. He recognises when to rotate with Jota/Neto to give them space out wide, he combines really well with those around him, and he doesn't give it away cheaply. He is more of a traditional full back playing in the wing back position for us but the positives far, far outweight any negatives with him IMO.

Jonny is great, refer to the Newcastle away game for the argument against him not being a wing back.

Jonny isn't going to beat a man like Vinagre can, but Jonny has far more "game intelligence" than Vinagre.

When Vinagre plays you may as well put a left-winger at LWB, which is more or less what Vinagre is.

Jonny is great defensively and his movement, positioning and intelligence are fantastic. Sadly he’s not a threat in the box physically like Doc and his shooting/ crossing on either foot given the opportunity is poor.

If Vinagre’s attacking output was actually consistently good then there may be an argument for him to come in, but as 90% of the time you get stepovers and crosses into the southbank then no he shouldn’t play.

I’d say currently Jonny is better at both ends of the pitch just in a different way

He's not consistently good attacking agreed but he has shown he is capable. The cross for Raul at Braga was pretty much perfect.

He's not exactly Marcelo but he's come on a fair bit since he got here, which I think goes under the radar a bit (as much as himself does in general)

Not sure that Jonny played as a wing back in a formation like ours before he came here so wasn't going to fit in completely to start with, has improved & got better as he has adapted & has a good understanding with Jota particularly.

Doesn't have the pace or killer instinct fully for the position, but in a defensive role he is very good. Doherty is better in an attacking role, but then he's not half the defender that Jonny is. We are not at the level that we can get someone who ticks all the boxes yet as a club we haven't quite reached that profile (yet).

Jonny is absolutely integral to our team. Nuno always talks about winning the ball back in the right areas, go back and watch a compilation of our goals and count how many start with Jonny, Jota & Moutinho working in tandem down that left side to win the ball back and launch the counter attack.

Jonny is probably tied with Boly for me as the best defender I've seen play for Wolves.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Jonny is absolutely integral to our team. Nuno always talks about winning the ball back in the right areas, go back and watch a compilation of our goals and count how many start with Jonny, Jota & Moutinho working in tandem down that left side to win the ball back and launch the counter attack.

Spot on, really.

He's not flashy and I don't know if I'd ever want him to take a free kick or penalty, but as a wingback in this team? He's absolutely immense.

For me, there's no competition for that spot in our team.

Jonny is probably tied with Boly for me as the best defender I've seen play for Wolves.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Yup, he times his pressure on the ball so well, very often in order for us to trap the wide player. So focused on his role.

Rumours floating around about Simon Hunt as the new Sporting Director.

Rumours floating around about Simon Hunt as the new Sporting Director.

Tim Spiers
@TimSpiers
Despite reports to the contrary Wolves have no plans to hire a replacement for Thelwell.

Jeff Shi has instigated a new committee-style system to make the big decisions.

An Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune would you say ?

Back