• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Didn't he win 5 of his first 6 games or something like that? Quite a classic new manager bounce. Likely got a fair bit of goodwill by not being his predecessor.
He was the cheap option at the time I felt.

Three out of four (we then went five without a win). That was 1998/99 though and he was only given the job to the end of the season. I would say he did enough overall to deserve a proper crack at it, then we did well the next season (the one that Louie watched) given that the net spend was essentially £0.

We only got two fewer points in 1999/2000 under Lee than we did in 1996/97 under McGhee when we finished 3rd and were probably the biggest spenders in the league.

I don't think "cheap" came into it other than the fact that Jack wasn't funding us any more. Which aspiring managers want to join a club where you can only generate funds by selling players, and there isn't much to sell?

Lee didn't even get anything when Richards left in 1999, there's a big name player (one who later moved for a massive fee) you've got to replace for nothing or next to nothing. Lee did it, he signed Pollet for less than half a million and his performances were better than anything Richards produced in a Wolves shirt after January 1996.

a) Our marketing was TERRIBLE at the time. Can't even blame Jez, he wasn't here...

b) Emblen was a way better player than Edwards. Better finisher as well. Central midfield was the real weak area of that team though, everywhere else was decent.

c) We had a horrible start that season after beating City on the opening day. We had no money so had to cobble a team together until we sold Keano. Then it was a mess until we signed players and they bedded in. We were shocking against Walsall, Huddersfield and Sheff Utd early on. It turned out ok though. We only lost three home games all season and two were the aforementioned Walsall/Hudds games while we were sorting ourselves out. The other one was against Charlton who won the league comfortably.

He was always a bit of a placeholder manager, and there was a massive discrepancy between home and away form, always. But he was broadly fine for his first 18 months. We did play some good stuff in 1999/2000 (relatively speaking). We'd have made the playoffs if Kevin Lynch weren't literally a cheat.

Got all his transfers wrong in the second full season when spending the Akinbiyi money, took us ages to replace Curle, Sinton started to decline quite quickly, Bazeley fell totally off a cliff and that was that.

Remember that Charlton game, night match and Shaun Newton was unreal. Just had our defence on strings all night long.

Havard Flo scored.

I quite liked Havard Flo.

Found it quite funny though that he was our first number 9 when squad numbers became a thing

Oh and I think this was the first time my brother had seen the scenes when Branch scored that goal against Forest and Beasant tried to kill him :icon_lol:

Havard Flo scored.

I quite liked Havard Flo.
I liked his song. Short on words, but nice tune
Found it quite funny though that he was our first number 9 when squad numbers became a thing

Oh and I think this was the first time my brother had seen the scenes when Branch scored that goal against Forest and Beasant tried to kill him :icon_lol:
It's a shame you don't see the angle on the highlights of Beasant so obviously putting it out, pointing to Branch what he was doing and Branch just mugging him off. In today's age I think we'd have given them the goal back, but don't even remember that being discussed at the time, certainly not in the South Bank. Anyway Beasant had already been at our place on loan by then and was shite. I think from memory he cost us an FA Cup tie against Bolton who were a league lower than us so stuff him

Why is there a Spanish version of our upcoming fixtures on the website? If we were going international, I'd have thought Portuguese would have been first.

He has the biggest social media following of all our players by some distance.

Oh, right. That's a real thing, then, is it, Wolves being big in Mexico? I'm still surprised we don't have bigger numbers in Portugal, but I guess the club should know.
Portugal has a population of 10m, Mexico has 126m. We won't be of interest to Portuguese speakers in Brazil. Raul has over 3m followers just on Instagram

Interesting. I couldn't see that happening here (unless, for example, RM suddenly acquired a huge Welsh following I haven't heard about)? I wonder whether Benfica had the same sort of following in Mexico when he was there.

The PL has far more visibility, everyone watches English football regardless.

Fosun would love us to have an actual decent Chinese player.

You have to remember that most Mexicans will have a Mexican team that they follow and also a European team. Loads would have been into Real Madrid when Hugo Sanchez was there, same with Chicharito and Manchester United. Raul is their most popular player right now and so we get the benefits too. Another reason why we wouldn't be too keen on a sale.

It won't happen now but we wanted to play a friendly in Texas against a Mexican team this pre-season.

Back