• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I understand the legal perspective, and yes reproduction by anyone without permission is illegal, but there is also a moral position and indeed a precedent in which the club has turned a blind eye to this for a long time

These aren't multi-corps, but small traders who have helped supplement the official line of club merchandise for donkeys years, before the club even really bothered too much with it. I like the old pin badges and the range is much better than the official club shop.

I guess this is sign of progression, although I was left being unable to get a scarf or even a pin badge for the Europa game as the Clubs official line had all sold out

I understand the legal perspective, and yes reproduction by anyone without permission is illegal, but there is also a moral position and indeed a precedent in which the club has turned a blind eye to this for a long time

These aren't multi-corps, but small traders who have helped supplement the official line of club merchandise for donkeys years, before the club even really bothered too much with it. I like the old pin badges and the range is much better than the official club shop.

I guess this is sign of progression, although I was left being unable to get a scarf or even a pin badge for the Europa game as the Clubs official line had all sold out

The club have been bothered by it for years. Going back a few years, I had a Wolves Stats site and I had a phone call from the club asking me to take down the images of the crest and make it clear I was not an official Wolves site and that was a hobby site I earned £0 from.

A lot of what we are seeing now will be led by the PL and UEFA as well. The PL go after people themselves for merch showing club crests etc. The PL have also employed companies to find counterfeit goods and get rid of them so Wolves stepping up with dealing with people selling the fake stuff just brings us in line with the rest and no doutb we are duty bound by the PL rules to do so. I would say we are dealing with it differently though and appreciating peope have sold items around the ground for years. It seems it has been a process over months rather than 1 action and with trading licenses up for renewal in the next month, it is a daft move from those who have been given time to alter what they are selling to carry on and ignore the requests from the club

This.

Only ever really buy the odd badge etc which you couldn't get in the shop, did buy a wooly hat from one recently (as think for what it is ie a hat I'll wear a couple of times a year) the price in the club shop takes the piss.

Won't catch me bothering to buy anything from the club shop for a long while now. So in my case its back fired.

I wouldn't worry, there will still be unlicensed traders around selling their stuff, if they ignored the polite requests that will cost them trading license then they find ways to keep selling. Might be like a scene from OFAH every now again as a chap legs it with a suitcase full of Wolves/Bournemouth half and half scarves though

This.

Only ever really buy the odd badge etc which you couldn't get in the shop, did buy a wooly hat from one recently (as think for what it is ie a hat I'll wear a couple of times a year) the price in the club shop takes the piss.

Won't catch me bothering to buy anything from the club shop for a long while now. So in my case its back fired.

I am sorry, but as an IP attorney this bothers me. A lot. There are consequences to counterfeiting from the perspective of the IP's owner. If they keep allowing people to sell stuff there is a real possibility of the trademarks losing its value and, ultimately, it's registrable status. I am glad Fosun is stepping up and actually safeguarding the club's rights against any and all infringers. No exception.

This is very serious and no amount of sugarcoating the pill will sweeten it.

They either buy it in bulk from the Club and make a profit afterwards (exhaustion of TM exclusive rights) or they obtain a license to manufacture and / or sell stuff with the club's trademarks. There can be no other way.

The club have been bothered by it for years. Going back a few years, I had a Wolves Stats site and I had a phone call from the club asking me to take down the images of the crest and make it clear I was not an official Wolves site and that was a hobby site I earned £0 from.

A lot of what we are seeing now will be led by the PL and UEFA as well. The PL go after people themselves for merch showing club crests etc. The PL have also employed companies to find counterfeit goods and get rid of them so Wolves stepping up with dealing with people selling the fake stuff just brings us in line with the rest and no doutb we are duty bound by the PL rules to do so. I would say we are dealing with it differently though and appreciating peope have sold items around the ground for years. It seems it has been a process over months rather than 1 action and with trading licenses up for renewal in the next month, it is a daft move from those who have been given time to alter what they are selling to carry on and ignore the requests from the club

Like I say, I understand the legal position. I kind of understand your comparison with your website, but the club, as most companies have to be online, are naturally a lot more defensive for other reasons than just copyright. The club doesn't (quite rightly) want to be associated with unlicensed websites, these could well be more than innocent stat sites and bring the club into disrepute.

There is precedent that these replica pin badges and tat sellers have happily existed side by side with the club for decades, with the club turning a blind eye.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to form a picket line of one, and in law the club are correct and probably do have some direction/instruction from the PL & UEFA, however, that doesn't make me think its morally right. Sign of the times I guess, I will of course take the team doing as well as we are and accept that certain things will change, but not all change is for the better

I am sorry, but as an IP attorney this bothers me. A lot. There are consequences to counterfeiting from the perspective of the IP's owner. If they keep allowing people to sell stuff there is a real possibility of the trademarks losing its value and, ultimately, it's registrable status. I am glad Fosun is stepping up and actually safeguarding the club's rights against any and all infringers. No exception.

This is very serious and no amount of sugarcoating the pill will sweeten it.

They either buy it in bulk from the Club and make a profit afterwards (exhaustion of TM exclusive rights) or they obtain a license to manufacture and / or sell stuff with the club's trademarks. There can be no other way.

Cool story, its not really that serious is it....nobodies died! Thanks for your life story though I genuinely didn't care.

Then Wolves better watch out because they've ripped off loads of football/casual trends over the years very hypercritical.

You one of those Mexicans who decided to support us a couple of years ago?

I see another fishing expedition is underway.

At this rate, I think we are going to need a bigger boat

I am enjoying seeing people argue that theft is morally right.

The club have missed a trick here and should be applying royalties to all tat sellers, particularly as the person who buys for the club shop isn't really up to the task.

You, up there.

I think you're alright generally so don't spoil that, eh.

I am enjoying seeing people argue that theft is morally right.

The club have missed a trick here and should be applying royalties to all tat sellers, particularly as the person who buys for the club shop isn't really up to the task.

Wolves are currently doing the nicely nicely approach to this issue. Those that had items took off them won't get the nicely nicely approach going forward

Just in the process of returning anything I've brought from the club shop in the past 28 days in protest...…………………...sadly its only one tee shirt hahaha. POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Back