• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Some financial analysis on Wolves latest accounts here. If you're into that kind of thing, his podcast with Kevin Day is well worth a listen

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1229660137297764352?s=19

Just to follow on from this, the BBC have caught wind and posted the following:

Premier League side Wolverhampton Wanderers have recorded a £21.64m profit for the year to 31 May, 2019.

The figure contrasts sharply with the £55.15m loss incurred 12 months previously as the club were promoted back to the Premier League.

Turnover increased from £26.4m to £172.46m. Central payments rose from £6.91m to £114.67m underlining the enormous gap in finances between the Championship and the Premier League. Wages rose from £50.71m to £92.13m.

Benefits of having a smaller first team squad..? :D

You jest but it's actually key to what we do.

I will never understand why football fans forever want their clubs to be shelling out tens, possibly even hundreds of thousands of pounds every single week to players who never play. Hoarding resources for doomsday scenarios that are completely implausible.

I may well pop to the Co-Op later and buy a nice pizza from there. Better buy a basic one too at the same time (even though I don't really like them and would never choose to eat one) in case I drop the good one on the floor when I take it out of the oven, which has literally never happened.

You jest but it's actually key to what we do.

I will never understand why football fans forever want their clubs to be shelling out tens, possibly even hundreds of thousands of pounds every single week to players who never play. Hoarding resources for doomsday scenarios that are completely implausible.

I may well pop to the Co-Op later and buy a nice pizza from there. Better buy a basic one too at the same time (even though I don't really like them and would never choose to eat one) in case I drop the good one on the floor when I take it out of the oven, which has literally never happened.
I don't believe people wanted to buy players for the sake of it. People wanted us to buy players because we had (and still do) the smallest senior squad in the PL and we are playing the most games. Rocket science, it is not.

You love a decent story, though :icon_lol:

I don't believe people wanted to buy players for the sake of it. People wanted us to buy players because we had (and still do) the smallest senior squad in the PL and we are playing the most games. Rocket science, it is not.

You love a decent story, though :icon_lol:

Quite a few people were bang up for signing Nelson Oliveira despite him a) being in his late 20s, so of negligible sell on value and with next to no development possible b) being nowhere near as good as what we have c) having already played in England for three different clubs and not being exactly great at any of them.

Had we signed him then I doubt he'd have featured at all in either of the last two games. Would have been a shiny new signing to watch warm up in a lacklustre fashion I suppose.

There's regularly absolute guff that we get tenuously linked to (or someone else signs) and people would take them. Fans like signings.

Quite a few people were bang up for signing Nelson Oliveira despite him a) being in his late 20s, so of negligible sell on value and with next to no development possible b) being nowhere near as good as what we have c) having already played in England for three different clubs and not being exactly great at any of them.

Had we signed him then I doubt he'd have featured at all in either of the last two games. Would have been a shiny new signing to watch warm up in a lacklustre fashion I suppose.

There's regularly absolute guff that we get tenuously linked to (or someone else signs) and people would take them. Fans like signings.

People wanted us to sign Oliveira because he would have been a better option off the bench (or in the event that Raul got/gets injured for any amount of time) than BAS.

Again...that'll be Benny Ashley-Seal who has never played a single second for us in a league game.

People were making out that he was much closer to the first team than was actually the case. As I say, implausible scenarios.

Again...that'll be Benny Ashley-Seal who has never played a single second for us in a league game.

People were making out that he was much closer to the first team than was actually the case. As I say, implausible scenarios.

BAS was a regular on the bench at the point people were talking about Olivera. I can understand why people wanted us to get another player in.

Thankfully Jota/Boly's return and the signing of Podence has given us some options, so you're probably right when you say a player like Olivera wouldn't have featured (yet), but hindsight etc.

There's a section of our support that has had us down as "two players short" since about 1991. Or if we spend £30m, they want us to spend £40m. I'm resigned to it, but the economics of the situation are fairly plain. We run in a lean fashion and spend money on proper quality, having one of the most healthy wage:turnover ratios in the Premier League. I'm fine with that. And if you do sign up to that, you can't make an exception for someone as plainly mediocre as Oliveira.

Go down the road that those people want and you end up like United who have had seven first team centre halves on the books competing for two spots for the last 2-3 years. Just a waste of time and money.

If you have a good 30 or 40 minutes then a great indepth look at the accounts by Joey E&S...

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...ofit-while-debts-are-up-in-new-club-accounts/

He is absolutely fucking clueless. The debt is a non-story. It’s an intra-group loan and perfectly normal. Calling it in would actively damage the asset Fosun have invested in, which is now performing excellently both on the pitch and in a financial sense. But that is all the twonk concentrates on in that brilliantly written in depth analysis.

I saw an interview where Nuno was asked if he worried about leading players leaving for big clubs.

He said no, it has already happened a big club came in for one player he said he wants to stay here and is still here.

I wonder who that player was?

I'd guess at Jiminez. Man Utd were rumoured to be interested.

365 staff including 87 playing staff. Wow! I get that coaching, marketing, etc, staff numbers are necessarily much bigger than they used to be, but 87 playing staff? That's eight teams worth!

Back