• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Pretty sure your post of "yeah I've bought one but I won't go lol" or along those lines will still be on here.

As for the last point, yes, but that has nothing to do with this. I just don't like people being dishonest.

This thread was definitely a waste of 3 minutes of my life.

Pretty sure your post of "yeah I've bought one but I won't go lol" or along those lines will still be on here.

As for the last point, yes, but that has nothing to do with this. I just don't like people being dishonest.

Well you can spend god knows how long looking through my post history if you want but I honestly think you've got the wrong person mate and not being fair keep calling me a liar

The few times we have had a mini spat over the years I have noticed it's when you are having a rough patch. That's all

To bring it back onto the debate of a new stadium a little bit - I'm curious if many of its supporters have been to games at these identikit new grounds. I've been to quite a few of them: Stoke, Reading, Huddersfield, Wigan, Swansea, Scunthorpe, Cardiff, Derby, Leicester, Coventry... they're crap. Got no personality to them and quite soulless. On a more important note they have fuck all around them for fans. These new grounds end up on retail parks with more places to buy windows and bathrooms than have a drink or sometimes even eat before the match, it's crap. Some of those grounds are also very challenging to get to, Reading's sticks out for that.

I don't see a big shiny new stadium as some guarantee of success either. I don't think it has been mentioned yet but if you look at West Ham and Arsenal, a lot of their fans are not satisfied with their stadiums. They're angry, a lot of them are questioning why they moved as this apparent means of obtaining success has been anything but. It killed the atmosphere at West Ham and (from what I'm told) Arsenal as well. I don't see it as some tradition vs. success debate as we are sacrificing the former (and perhaps more importantly, convenience and accessibility) to try and chase the latter, not ensure it.

If we start doing poorly I don't see how a big new ground that is hard to get to and has nothing around it, helps our attendance. Our fanbase isn't that big so there is not a need for anything drastically bigger.

There are circa 8k tickets available to non-STHs for each home game. At the start of the season, the loyalty points system gives credit to people who went to games in the previous season.

I can see why this is a vicious circle if you didn't go much the previous season (because you didn't have enough points), but there are ways to get your points up at the start of the season (most of which I did at the start of 18/19):

- go to cup games
- buy single tickets and sit apart from whoever you're going with
- slum it in the temporary stand a couple of times

This season, the European games have been a great opportunity to get points on the board. I joined my sister and nephew as members this pre-season and they've been able to get tickets for all the Europa League games.

I got lucky in terms of loyalty points because I went to a load of games in 17/18, which set me up nicely for 18/19 and I can now afford to miss a few games in 19/20 without risking not being able to get tickets for any home game I want to.

It has been tough financially though - buying tickets every time they go on sale just to make sure I get the loyalty points is tough.

In terms of a TPS scheme, that required a lump sum payment at the start of the season to buy the chance to go to 5 or 6 home games. That rewards people who can afford the lump sum over people who showed loyalty in the previous season - not sure I'd agree with that (it also restricts the number and choice of games you can go to).

The membership is like a TPS scheme in effect, you don't get a guaranteed spread of tickets like previously but there's a lower entrance cost to tie in with that. For me personally the membership scheme makes it more difficult for me to get tickets, seems pretty rare for League games to go all the way through to general sale but I was never that bothered to make the membership investment worthwhile.

I've been able to get tickets for the Europa League games thankfully as they tied in quite nicely with my usual routine, we have a site in Cannock and previously had one in Bilston so I used to visit the latter on a Thursday afternoon then go the game and stay at my parents before my usual trip to Cannock on the Friday. My weekends tend to be a bit more erratic so I didn't want to spend any extra money to boost ticket chances without knowing when I'd likely be back around local enough to make a game but there have been times I've ended up getting dragged back for some reason or another and would've been able to attend a game to pass the afternoon if tickets had made it as far as general sale.

In a perfect world it would be nice if the club could expand the ground and always have that little bit of spare capacity so there was invariably space for casual fans to pick up the odd game as and when but unfortunately these things cost money and they're not going to spend it building a bit of extra space just in case. If my routine was a bit more regular I'd maybe consider the membership to give myself a better chance of securing other tickets but I spend less and less weekends back down in the West Midlands now, our Bilston job is long since finished and Cannock will be done come the start of next season so in all likelihood I won't have much guarantee of being able to fit the odd game nicely into my routine unless I wangle my way into one of the jobs we're starting in Birmingham.

To bring it back onto the debate of a new stadium a little bit - I'm curious if many of its supporters have been to games at these identikit new grounds. I've been to quite a few of them: Stoke, Reading, Huddersfield, Wigan, Swansea, Scunthorpe, Cardiff, Derby, Leicester, Coventry... they're crap. Got no personality to them and quite soulless. On a more important note they have fuck all around them for fans. These new grounds end up on retail parks with more places to buy windows and bathrooms than have a drink or sometimes even eat before the match, it's crap. Some of those grounds are also very challenging to get to, Reading's sticks out for that.

I don't see a big shiny new stadium as some guarantee of success either. I don't think it has been mentioned yet but if you look at West Ham and Arsenal, a lot of their fans are not satisfied with their stadiums. They're angry, a lot of them are questioning why they moved as this apparent means of obtaining success has been anything but. It killed the atmosphere at West Ham and (from what I'm told) Arsenal as well. I don't see it as some tradition vs. success debate as we are sacrificing the former (and perhaps more importantly, convenience and accessibility) to try and chase the latter, not ensure it.

If we start doing poorly I don't see how a big new ground that is hard to get to and has nothing around it, helps our attendance. Our fanbase isn't that big so there is not a need for anything drastically bigger.

All of this.

I'd be more than happy to see the latest plans (i.e. wraparound SB and South Bank added to the NB) become reality. Circa 40k which is more than enough for us. If we do become desperate, filling the NW and SW corners [similarly to Anfield where access is still through the existing stands] would add another 4k probably.

For what it’s worth I’ve got such incredibly poor value out of my season ticket this year. Working and living in London makes weekday games immensely difficult, and having recently got married I get the point about life sometimes having to take precedence over going to Molineux.

That said, I absolutely will not give up season ticket given current circumstances. I just accept the financial hit and the colleague of my dad who he tends to take when I can’t go gets a very cushy free ride over the course of the season. Good luck to him.

Having got married over 20 years ago, I can't wait for the next game.

Anyway, all dull bickering aside...

I'd quite like to see the proposed new small stadium for the U23s and women's team.

We seem to be putting a few bob quietly towards the women's team these days - they've now got access to Compton, its facilities and all the rest of that jazz; and they're something like a billion points clear in their division after 11 games. I know this is bound to drag out all the mysogenistic knuckle-draggers, but accepting that it's effectively a different sport to the same rules, and it also seems to be on the up, it's probably a good idea for us to do this. Certainly no harm in it at all.

No Ryan Bennett in the squad again today. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him out the door. Boly back, emergence of Kilman. He’s 5th choice again (for the outside positions) and we’re going to sign a CB in the summer for sure.

Think he and Ruddy might both go. Been fantastic servants in their time here, both played huge roles. All you have to do is say Bristol away or Cardiff away and everyone knows.

Think both will leave in the summer. Couldn't begrudge Bennett leaving now but think he'd be silly too, seeing as he can finish an amazing three years here as we are still in europe.

I'd quite like to see the proposed new small stadium for the U23s and women's team.

We seem to be putting a few bob quietly towards the women's team these days - they've now got access to Compton, its facilities and all the rest of that jazz; and they're something like a billion points clear in their division after 11 games. I know this is bound to drag out all the mysogenistic knuckle-draggers, but accepting that it's effectively a different sport to the same rules, and it also seems to be on the up, it's probably a good idea for us to do this. Certainly no harm in it at all.

I love the idea of the Castlecroft ground being upgraded, especially as it'd just mean a short bicycle ride up the old railway to get to from my ends, as the yoof says.

I love the idea of the Castlecroft ground being upgraded, especially as it'd just mean a short bicycle ride up the old railway to get to from my ends, as the yoof says.

Pablo, you make that sound so nice but seem to have left out the mud, fly tipping and random yoofs on motorbikes on route :)

The problem with the female game is there is very little fan base, the official site doesn't even publish attendances for the womens game, unless you get Wembley offering deals to get bums on seats, who is really interested ?

Arsenal put their women stars on their posters next to the men. There are plenty of promotional advantages for clubs that take the game seriously.

Wolves Calendar for this year has 3 of the Womens team players on for June (Lowri Walker, Madeline Elbro and Jen Anslow for those interested)

Wolves Calendar for this year has 3 of the Womens team players on for June (Lowri Walker, Madeline Elbro and Jen Anslow for those interested)
Any of them fit?

Pablo, you make that sound so nice but seem to have left out the mud, fly tipping and random yoofs on motorbikes on route :)

Those f***ing motorcyclists... I take it you live near that route?

They ride from Himley, up to a field off Flash Lane, hide under a tree to smoke weed and then ride home.

Back