• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Full table of events available on Saturday.

Pre-match

- Masks given out on the turnstiles
- Sin Cara pre match
- Encouraged to arrive at 2.30 for a special surprise

Half time

- U23's video presentation at half time

Post match

- Take 20 minutes to get some fucking idiots off the Molineux pitch

- Wolves ladies and Wolves Disability teams to do a lap of the pitch
- Three nominations for POTY announced
- POTY announced
- Nuno and squad to then return for a lap

Personally very happy they're announcing the POTY so the player can receive their plaudits from all home fans and not just the lucky few willing to pay over the odds for Telford.

FIFY

Nuno to receive an honourary doctorate in the pitch tomorrow too.

Are we all getting cardboard hats to throw in the air as well?

If that is the surprise I am not exactly feeling the urge to rush out of the pub

Where the hell is Cyber when you need him? With all this self-congratulation going on tomorrow it looks like Fulham 3-0 to me

Lose to Fulham and beat Liverpool, don't you know the Wolves way yet? Don't need Cyber for that

Was just curious about the TV money this year so based on this https://www.totalsportek.com/money/premier-league-tv-rights-money-distribution/ (assuming it is correct, obvs) if we finish 10th and don't have any more games on TV we'll be due

£38m equal share of TV money
£22m 'prize' money for finishing 10th
£47m equal share of overseas TV money
£7.5m live TV broadcast money (10 games either broadcast or currently scheduled * £750k/each)

Makes £114.5m

That doesn't include any money we get from the Beeb for the Liverpool cup game. And obviously if we get any more Sky or BT games between Feb and end of the season (which I'll guess we will) that number will jump further.

Crazy.

Just to revisit this, 7th entitles us to £28m or thereabouts in terms of 'prize' money i.e. determined by league position. I put that ^ together in December which was before any TV games from Feb onwards - which by my count totals 6 (Brizzle, Man U and Watford cup games, Newcastle and Man U @ home plus Liverpool away to come - might have these numbers slightly wrong, mind). At a rough £750k each that's another £4.5m

So as a rough guestimate

£28m 'prize' money for finishing 7th
£12m (approx) live TV broadcast money

£125m, or thereabouts.

Bonkers, really.

Just to revisit this, 7th entitles us to £28m or thereabouts in terms of 'prize' money i.e. determined by league position. I put that ^ together in December which was before any TV games from Feb onwards - which by my count totals 6 (Brizzle, Man U and Watford cup games, Newcastle and Man U @ home plus Liverpool away to come - might have these numbers slightly wrong, mind). At a rough £750k each that's another £4.5m

So as a rough guestimate

£28m 'prize' money for finishing 7th
£12m (approx) live TV broadcast money

£125m, or thereabouts.

Bonkers, really.

You can't really include the FA Cup games in those calculations as it's a completely different (and much inferior) TV deal.

We get roughly £2.5m for a total cup run ending in a semi final loss. So not too far away with £125m

You'll have to wait for the season's accounts for the final numbers, obvs. I'm sure there are plenty chomping at the bit for those to be released, hey :) I've no idea if that site is accurate but it seemed roughly correct.

As a curiosity I looked up the Europa League and Champions League #s for this year (so not jinxing anything!) - it is pretty staggering just how big the gap between the two is. Don't get me wrong, Europa League would bring in some substantial £s (or €s) if we made any good progress, but look at this (assuming Wiki is correct!)

Europa

Preliminary round: €220,000
First qualifying round: €240,000
Second qualifying round: €260,000
Third qualifying round: €280,000
Play-off round elimination: €300,000
Base fee for group stage: €2,920,000
Group match victory: €570,000
Group match draw: €190,000
Group winners: €1,000,000
Group runners-up: €500,000
Round of 32: €500,000
Round of 16: €1,100,000
Quarter-finals: €1,500,000
Semi-finals: €2,400,000
Losing finalist: €4,500,000
Winners: €8,500,000

If you went in at the group stage and won every group game you'd rake in just over €20m

CL

Preliminary qualifying round: €230,000
First qualifying round: €280,000
Second qualifying round: €380,000
Third qualifying round: €480,000 (Only for clubs eliminated from the champions path, since clubs eliminated from the league path qualify directly for the UEFA Europa League group stage and therefore benefit from its distribution system.)
Base fee for group stage: €15,250,000
Group match victory: €2,700,000
Group match draw: €900,000
Round of 16: €9,500,000
Quarter-finals: €10,500,000
Semi-finals: €12,000,000
Losing finalist: €15,000,000
Winning the Final: €19,000,000

Just qualifying for the group stages gives you €15m :coffee1:

There is also TV money on top of all that!

Yep, it's what's battering Arsenal at the moment. Stupid legacy deals from when they were in the CL, and a major loss of income now to try and buy some actual good players.

Incidentally, despite Wolves having no individual UEFA coefficient of our own at the moment, if we were to finish 4th at any point - note I'm just speaking hypothetically here! - we wouldn't have to qualify. English teams go straight into the groups at the moment because of the country coefficient. Doesn't matter if they're Tottenham or Tranmere.

Nuno up for Manager of the Season with Pep, Klopp and Poch

Pretty good company that.... for the other three

Think Gracia's been a little hard done by there, personally. They've tailed off a bit but he's still got what is essentially a hodgepodge squad to a cup final and (possible) top 10 finish.

Don't think Nuno will win given how good the top 2 have been but it's certainly good recognition of the work he's done, very well deserved.

Think Gracia's been a little hard done by there, personally. They've tailed off a bit but he's still got what is essentially a hodgepodge squad to a cup final and (possible) top 10 finish.

Don't think Nuno will win given how good the top 2 have been but it's certainly good recognition of the work he's done, very well deserved.

Agree, Gracia has done a very good job. I thought they were going to be in a relegation battle after last season.

He's the first Watford manager to last more than 12 months since Zola, deserves an award all on its own...

Back