• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...itical-i-need-to-do-better-in-the-final-third

Nuno wants Traore to play as a striker. I just don't see that ever working.

The only thing I can think is that this is using the definition of striker that Nuno used with the media that one time. I.E., he considers all of the front three as strikers.

He can't really mean using Adama centrally. He just can't. Can he?

I think you are probably right Alan. Nuno has said it himself that he wants Traore to position himself higher.

My issue with Traore isn’t his end product (though of course that can be improved). His crossing is okay and when he runs at players in the final third, he causes issues for the opposition.

My issue is his general play in the team. When we signed him, having watched the way he could run with such speed and control from deep and the way a team like France counter attacked in the World Cup I could see the thinking from the club. And as Nuno keeps stressing, we want people who are going to offer different qualities to the team.

Problem is, so far he just hasn’t been able to function well within the team, which is what I think people (fairly so) predicted. His best performance in that sense was Spurs away I would say. He wasn’t electric at all times but his defensive positioning was better, he was able to reiieve pressure on the team breaking forward from deep and had the run on Davies at times. Typical he came off injured in that game!

It was a gamble and it doesn’t look like it will pay off but I think Nuno and the team are prepared to be patient with him. Cav is more likely to be sold first and then Costa for all his talent just looks bereft of confidence.

I thought Monday was a good example of how we should use him at the moment, perhaps he could have come on slightly earlier. He came on when we needed to change things and created at least 4 opportunities, I think that's as much as we can hope for at the moment. Might be a bit different next season.

Wolves have tweeted Ryan Bennett's last minute winner from every camera angle. I love seeing John Ruddy in there celebrating, I didn't realise he'd legged it over to the bench to join in.

I don't know if anyone has this stat but how many minutes has Traore played this season compared to Costa?

Why? What is it about Costa you hate so much?

I don't think there's anyone who hates Costa, just a general acknowledgement that he has been our poorest performer by a wide margin this season in most people's eyes. We keep hoping the light will come on and he'll improve but let's be honest, it doesn't look promising... But you never know.

I didn't realise that their keeper had done a pointless "Lonergan dive" across the face of his goal as the cross went passed him :icon_lol:

Arsenal and Utd League games are both now going to be moved to midweek

John Percy reporting that we're close to handing Saiss a new deal (has less than 18 months left on his existing contract).

John Percy reporting that we're close to handing Saiss a new deal (has less than 18 months left on his existing contract).

Value protection, I'd guess. He'll surely have suitors this summer given he still plays semi-regularly for us while likely being the first pushed out of the picture by any incomings in midfield.

Value protection, I'd guess. He'll surely have suitors this summer given he still plays semi-regularly for us while likely being the first pushed out of the picture by any incomings in midfield.

Saiss has shown his value to the squad this season and even if we bring in another midfielder, he will still be of value. His versatility is really useful, particularly if we pick up injuries in a game.

No concern at all with Romain extending his deal. He's an invaluable squad player, who knows our system and provides good depth across the back three and in the centre of the park.

Oh I agree, just think he'll also get some offers from teams where he'd likely be nailed on.

League only: Traore 675 mins, Costa 1,312 mins
All comps: Traore 1,022 mins, Costa 1,496 mins

Back