• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...0-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs

Jackson Smith is the Wolves player highlighted in this seasons Guardian Article - Next Generation - 20 of the best talents at Premier League Clubs.

We also have a previous nominee on our books from 2014. Benny Ashley Seal was picked for Norwich that season.

That's quite some going to only pick 2 first team players in 4 years missing out on some serious talent spotting along the way.

I doubt Doc will ever hit the heights he is at right now.

https://news.paddypower.com/football/2018/10/10/ireland-v-denmark-matt-doherty/?AFF_ID=21488

Fair play to everything he has done to make himself a 1st choice player in the Prem and having people demanding he plays for the National Team (I don't think he will do that under MON though as playing as a normal RB or LB will see him struggle so unless Ireland change their formation he is stuck in international limbo)

I doubt Doc will ever hit the heights he is at right now.

https://news.paddypower.com/football/2018/10/10/ireland-v-denmark-matt-doherty/?AFF_ID=21488

Fair play to everything he has done to make himself a 1st choice player in the Prem and having people demanding he plays for the National Team (I don't think he will do that under MON though as playing as a normal RB or LB will see him struggle so unless Ireland change their formation he is stuck in international limbo)
MON is talking about playing with wing backs to accommodate him

The world is officially ending then. A team setting up to enable Matt Doherty to play!

The thing is even that won't necessarily work. MON is pretty old-fashioned and if he wants his wingbacks to play like they did in his Celtic days - that won't work either. You don't want Doc going round the outside of his opposite number and slinging crosses in, he can't do it.

The way we use him is very unusual, it works (for now) but you're asking a lot for an international team to somehow totally change their plans to fit him in. We work with him every day to get him to this level.

The thing is even that won't necessarily work. MON is pretty old-fashioned and if he wants his wingbacks to play like they did in his Celtic days - that won't work either. You don't want Doc going round the outside of his opposite number and slinging crosses in, he can't do it.

The way we use him is very unusual, it works (for now) but you're asking a lot for an international team to somehow totally change their plans to fit him in. We work with him every day to get him to this level.
He's always going to play second fiddle to Coleman as well. He's simply a better footballer than Doherty, which means that if Doc is going to start in some form of 3-4-3/3-5-2 it's going to be at LWB, which would exaggerate that problem even further.

!
74S6kdh.png

https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/...p-the-rankings-as-Man-City-surrender-top-spot

WhoScored is a sham of a site, their metrics for defenders are laughable.

Miserable bugger. Just be happy we are in the top 10 :)

Nuno could stick Doc on guarding the corner flags a la Dougal and you would still pooh-pooh his chances.

I read on the thread that if a team won 1-0 and 2-1 they would be below a team that won 6-0 and drew 1-1.

Nuno could stick Doc on guarding the corner flags a la Dougal and you would still pooh-pooh his chances.

I'm not sure why you've started having pointless digs at me tbh.

I don't know how many times Doc has to have a good game and I say "he had a good game" before you realise that there is no agenda.

I'm not sure why you've started having pointless digs at me tbh.

I don't know how many times Doc has to have a good game and I say "he had a good game" before you realise that there is no agenda.
I wasn't having a go Dan, it was purely tongue in cheek.

Whoscored is very random - their championship team of the season last year showed that.

However, its great to see us up in lights with teams like Juve and city.

MON is talking about playing with wing backs to accommodate him

MON has also come out swinging at shearer for his criticism of christie. My reading of his comments suggest he'll play christie to give him his backing.

MON has also come out swinging at shearer for his criticism of christie. My reading of his comments suggest he'll play christie to give him his backing.
He's supposed to be playing Christie on the other side instead of Stevens

The world is officially ending then. A team setting up to enable Matt Doherty to play!
And here's the proof

“Matt is doing really well, really great,” he said. “So if he is going to come in here you’d like things to be as comfortable for him as possible and if we make adjustments for him, so be it.

“At this moment if we do go into the wing-back role – he has been doing exceptionally well. And he would be comfortable with that rather than being in a normal right-back role.

“ I’m not saying that I’m picking the whole side just to suit one player, but it’s certainly something we’re looking at.”

I'm a little worried about both doc and eventually coady at international level. They excel in our system, but even if those countries mimic the formation, if they don't play the same way, they'll be nowhere near as effective. Imagine if Southgate put coady on one the wider defensive positions in the back three, it'd be a car crash tbh and could drastically effect his confidence

If Southgate put Coady as anything other than a 'sweeper' like he plays for us and Coady played poorly then it would say more about Southgate than it would about Coady. And I really doubt Coady would lose confidence over it, he strikes me as a pretty grounded person who could rationalise it sensibly enough.

I'm a little worried about both doc and eventually coady at international level. They excel in our system, but even if those countries mimic the formation, if they don't play the same way, they'll be nowhere near as effective. Imagine if Southgate put coady on one the wider defensive positions in the back three, it'd be a car crash tbh and could drastically effect his confidence

If they were to get picked for their national sides, I somewhat doubt that either of them would lose confidence over it! Coady in particular is one of the strongest characters I've seen in a Wolves shirt - and we've already seen how Doherty can bounce back from a poor performance.

Loads of ifs, buts and maybes there - and it seems a bit of a far fetched thing to be worried about! Have a bit of faith in the character of these lads.

Back