• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Just did a quick search, looks like 5 years on commercial property.

Three years is the statutory time period for any proposal. LPA's can impose further restrictions on that if deemed necessary, but it cannot extend beyond three years from the date of approval.

They had outline permission for the South Bank and Steve Bull stands as part of the North Bank application but I think the cut off for reserved matters was over 12 months ago though so it would need a standalone application now. Though there shouldn't really be any issue with getting anything approved unless they went for some mental design, the land is destined for eternal sporting use and the previous approval should set a precedent if the re-application isn't drastically different in design. Though second guessing a planning committee can often be a fools errand.

Theoretically there's probably still just about enough time for something to be done this summer. We'd usually allow a week or two for an application to be validated and about 13 weeks for it to be seen by committee and a decision made, though we have a new school about to get underway and that application got validated within 12 hours with it scheduled to be seen at a committee within 4 weeks! Obviously there would need to be a much more detailed design in place than you'd usually have for planning otherwise you'd have no chance of getting a contractor to offer anything like a firm price but we don't know what work has been going on behind the scenes.

I'd say it's plausible but unlikely.

with the weather improving soon I'd be surprised if they havent started fixing the temp stand.

It is structurally dead I am afraid. Needs razing, and won't get a safety cert in any way useful to us to increase capacity quickly.

Will they be in a situation where they won’t be able to house everyone after factoring away fans and single tickets?
They won’t if they went down the road of a new ground.

That ain’t gonna happen. And I hope it wouldn’t too. It’s also completely unnecessary .
I can't see a Villa groundshare and levelling the existing stadium happening either.

Think it'll just end up being a phased redevelopment as it would've been under Morgan as and when it happens.

I agree that it’s most likely, but I also would be surprised if the design wasn’t changed to be radically different. Morgan’s plan was fine capacity-wise, but its design was very unexciting - it was exactly what you’d expect from someone whose background was in building volume suburban housing stock, really. Just a real lack of attention to quality detailing and finishing. Compare it to something like Chelsea’s new stadium and it’s night and day.

Maybe that’s where the rumours about a “third tier on the North Bank” have come from - there are plans afoot to alter the NB to make it fit more with a new, more ambitious stadium design, including maybe changing the roof (and the details have been exaggerated as they’ve been whispered from person to person).

I agree that it’s most likely, but I also would be surprised if the design wasn’t changed to be radically different. Morgan’s plan was fine capacity-wise, but its design was very unexciting - it was exactly what you’d expect from someone whose background was in building volume suburban housing stock, really. Just a real lack of attention to quality detailing and finishing. Compare it to something like Chelsea’s new stadium and it’s night and day.

Maybe that’s where the rumours about a “third tier on the North Bank” have come from - there are plans afoot to alter the NB to make it fit more with a new, more ambitious stadium design, including maybe changing the roof (and the details have been exaggerated as they’ve been whispered from person to person).
Personally I don't think there's a great deal wrong aesthetically with the Morgan era plans, nothing spectacular granted but other than the strip of orange plastic at the roofline I think it looks fairly high quality in terms of materials if lacking a little flair.

I'd be wary of trying to do anything radically different as without knocking the North Bank down you could end up with a very patchy looking ground. Perhaps that's why it's a bit simplistic, given the phased nature of the work you want something that's fairly straightforward to replicated in further phases. I think there's still scope for some development of the design without straying too far from the original ethos, keep the brickwork piers beneath the roof supports and general roofline but you could build the centre out significantly on the Steve Bull to accommodate extra facilities.

I think it's a little unfair to compare with a completely new build stadium like proposed at Stamford Bridge, which I think looks rather gaudy to be honest, as they're starting with a blank canvas not knitting several pieces together. It'll be interesting to see how much modern architecture stands up to the test of time too, lot of new styles and materials being used these days that no-one will have seen a 30-40 version of, Grand Central in Birmingham for example could end up looking appalling, though I think it already does!

Don’t care what it looks like. I want to get in and out quickly, have space in the Concourse with plenty of opportunities to get refreshments if I wish, an unrestricted view and not to get wet. In the NB I have all of those except the last one.

Plus, I dont think the NB even looks bad. Smart and simplistic. It’s no Emirates or Wembley but they had massive budgets, a massive space and a blank canvas

Don’t care what it looks like. I want to get in and out quickly, have space in the Concourse with plenty of opportunities to get refreshments if I wish, an unrestricted view and not to get wet. In the NB I have all of those except the last one.

Plus, I dont think the NB even looks bad. Smart and simplistic. It’s no Emirates or Wembley but they had massive budgets, a massive space and a blank canvas
The last part should be solved or at least significantly as others phases are built, at the minute the North Bank is just a big air scoop.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fosun went big and bold, bought the land Asda is on and started a brand new build like Spurs have done.

Does mean a ground share for a season but I have no idea where that would be.

Back