• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

This is why the rule can't work in football. Wolves knew the man they were after and went for him. Headhunting is in every industry so why should football be any different?
It has had a positive impact in the NFL, although there are many more obvious BAME candidates, I'm not sure the UK is ready at the moment. If you look at the Lambert appointment the interviewing of Ince was a waste of his and the clubs time.

It has had a positive impact in the NFL, although there are many more obvious BAME candidates, I'm not sure the UK is ready at the moment. If you look at the Lambert appointment the interviewing of Ince was a waste of his and the clubs time.

Coaching is very different in the US sports. The structure is different, the culture different. There are no foreign coaches for a start which apparently don't count in the UK. This is where the rule falls over immediately.

I've always felt that the BAME rule is a bit of a nonsense,ends up with outsiders thinking did they get the job by being the best,or because they ticked a box so organisations can look like they're doing the right thing?
If the best man is white,black,blue or red they're the best man that's all it boils down to

I've always felt that the BAME rule is a bit of a nonsense,ends up with outsiders thinking did they get the job by being the best,or because they ticked a box so organisations can look like they're doing the right thing?
If the best man is white,black,blue or red they're the best man that's all it boils down to

Agreed, with positive action allowed up to the point of selection. If we really want to start banging a gong then lets get some women coaches in too. If football wants to stop paying lip service its about time that happened. Women refs= fine, Women owners=fine Women managers ??????

So its not about ticking boxes its about being a truely open game and that starts from the bottom up as well as the top down. England women are managed by a man. So why cant there be vice versa? It will happen. People just need to think a little differently. When a women is qualified enough and good enough they will get that job and to make that happen I fully support efforts by clubs to recruit female coaches or install training programmes that support the development of women into competent coaches with their badges.

It's about white privilege and just making sure candidates are getting through the door. Of course, the club then has an interview process and chooses who to hire, so any BAME coaches will still be there on merit, but right now they aren't getting through the door.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It's about white privilege and just making sure candidates are getting through the door. Of course, the club then has an interview process and chooses who to hire, so any BAME coaches will still be there on merit, but right now they aren't getting through the door.

So Nuno is white? Plus the two coaches we appointed??

The BAME rule is about giving people an opportunity, not the job itself. If they do get the job, then they were the best candidate - no question. What organisation, especially in the ultra-competitive world of professional football, would appoint the second or third best candidate??!

It is important because in the current state of affairs, and for a whole mixture of reasons (nepotism, football culture, institutional/latent racism, groupthink...) BAME players - who are such an important segment of the playing staff in the football league - just aren't making it to managerial positions. That, in turn, discourages BAME candidates from even trying to become a coach/manager, or even applying for these jobs, because they know they don't stand much of a chance.

So this is about offering opportunity to current BAME players to say, "yes, you will get an opportunity to be successful as a coach, if that's what you want. Now believe it can happen and go work your arse off!!"

On the other hand, stipulating that BAME candidates must be British is ridiculous :spaz:

So Nuno is white? Plus the two coaches we appointed??
I wasn't referring to Nuno's appointment but the misconception that no rule is needed as diverse candidates will make it if they are good enough.

Nuno was clearly 1 of 1 candidates. Wolves had how many managers in 2016/17? We don't know the club didn't use it before. The Wolves article on the academy implied Vassell felt some benefit from this too and I'm sure the club wouldn't just be employing people if they weren't good enough.

In that case should white managers feel aggrieved that they weren't given an opportunity to apply for the Wolves job as there was only one candidate and he was black/mixed race?

It should be based on merit not skin colour

In that case should white managers feel aggrieved that they weren't given an opportunity to apply for the Wolves job as there was only one candidate and he was black/mixed race?

It should be based on merit not skin colour
Yes. Because white managers don't have any privilege in life...

Utter horseshit. The rule does not account for foreign managers, until it does that then the rule is useless.

The BAME rule is about giving people an opportunity, not the job itself. If they do get the job, then they were the best candidate - no question. What organisation, especially in the ultra-competitive world of professional football, would appoint the second or third best candidate??!

It is important because in the current state of affairs, and for a whole mixture of reasons (nepotism, football culture, institutional/latent racism, groupthink...) BAME players - who are such an important segment of the playing staff in the football league - just aren't making it to managerial positions. That, in turn, discourages BAME candidates from even trying to become a coach/manager, or even applying for these jobs, because they know they don't stand much of a chance.

So this is about offering opportunity to current BAME players to say, "yes, you will get an opportunity to be successful as a coach, if that's what you want. Now believe it can happen and go work your arse off!!"

On the other hand, stipulating that BAME candidates must be British is ridiculous :spaz:

This in itself is discrimination. There is in no way an ex-player should be given any further encouragement to be a manager than any other person in any other walk of life. Being a player is no guarantee of being a good coach. It's this kind of nepotism that does football no favours as it says to everybody else who has never kicked a ball at professional level, you're not good enough to be a coach or manager. That's a disgraceful attitude no matter what race or ethnicity you are.

Until football addresses that it can take it's bastardised version of the Rooney rule and shove it up its arse.

We didn't invite ANY applicants for this job, the vacancy existed (purely technically) for one day. I can't see how the rule applies here.

We didn't invite ANY applicants for this job, the vacancy existed (purely technically) for one day. I can't see how the rule applies here.

Maybe we should have interviewed Dwight Yorke just in case.

I think that's the point. He was headhunted for the job and there was no vacancy until he said yes. How can you interview anybody else for a job that isn't open?

I understand the rule and why it has been advocated but like many I don't see it working in football like it does in the NFL. Obviously if you are having interviews then if you have any BAME applicants it is easy to tick the box of saying you did it but wr didn't interview for this job so why would we interview anyone based on anything when we knew who we wanted.

On top of that why have the BAME applicants got to be British??

I think that's the point. He was headhunted for the job and there was no vacancy until he said yes. How can you interview anybody else for a job that isn't open?

That's what the EFL have said. There wasn't a recruitment process so thy couldn't have. Likewise for Zenga they allowed for 'special circumstances'. I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that we have 'failed' the Rooney Rule this season, we volunteered to trial it, we weren't obliged as far I am aware.

It's just a shame that people have such a negative view towards the idea of giving those disadvantaged opportunities. There is a hegemony of whiteness in football and I'm shocked people do not see that.

I personally support the Rooney Rule, though It has its flaws as it is positive action which is badly needed. More importantly though we need to tackle the issue of the FA council which is full of middle aged, middle class white males who couldn't give a shit about minirities, nor can they have any empathy either.

All Season Tickets holders can claim a free scarf. Voucher being sent out by the club to STH's

That's what the EFL have said. There wasn't a recruitment process so thy couldn't have. Likewise for Zenga they allowed for 'special circumstances'. I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that we have 'failed' the Rooney Rule this season, we volunteered to trial it, we weren't obliged as far I am aware.

It's just a shame that people have such a negative view towards the idea of giving those disadvantaged opportunities. There is a hegemony of whiteness in football and I'm shocked people do not see that.

I personally support the Rooney Rule, though It has its flaws as it is positive action which is badly needed. More importantly though we need to tackle the issue of the FA council which is full of middle aged, middle class white males who couldn't give a $#@! about minirities, nor can they have any empathy either.

I can't see how the Rooney rule could ever work in football but I do understand the need to get more people from all backgrounds into football and to make it a truly level playing field (excuse the pun). I also do not agree with your hegemony of whiteness in football (is it different to any other job?) and you are doing a classic THM thing of linking white people to not giving people an opportunity and that isn't on. Just because I'm white do you really think I'm against anybody else having an equal opportunity?

However your attack on the age and colour of the FA does you no favours as that is discriminatory in itself and I don't understand how you can stand by your last comment unless you know the people personally.

I don't doubt the FA is under represented by all sorts of groups, not least background, race, age and gender but singling out white middle class males is not the way to go. It's
tawdry and obstructive.

Back