• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Funniest I've ever seen us concede was on o fire night 1991 when we lost at home to Bristol Rovers who were bottom of the league that time. Mike Stowell blasted a clearance right against the knees of one of their forwards and the looped over his head and in this was before the back pass rule as well. Only 8,000 at the ground that night also.

Mark Burke ran riot that night as well I think. I won't get started on him though as I'll be here all day. Suffice to say he was underappreciated.

Back to the SEB at Charlton video for a second, the fact that the winner was so special means his first gets unfairly overlooked. Look at it, takes up a great position in the first place, decent touch, cracking spin then absolutely cracks it off his wrong foot. What I'd give for a striker like that now. He was unreal in his first 18 months here, better than Afobe was for us.

Edit: Not the same game for Mark Burke. That was 92/93 when we won 5-1 (but also right around Bonfire Night)

Worst goal I've seen us concede is definitely Ikeme's horror show against Bristol City. Immense clowning.

Beating Paul Jones' triple flap vs PNE in 2004 into second place.

Kennedy was a very good player for us..and the best, Happy birthday Bully

Kennedy away at Stockport when we beat them 4-1 in 2002 is one of my favourites.

Remember it well was stood in the away end right behind it when kennedy hit it no keeper in the world would have stopped it just pure power into the top corner

Worst goal I've seen us concede is definitely Ikeme's horror show against Bristol City. Immense clowning.

Beating Paul Jones' triple flap vs PNE in 2004 into second place.

Personally I blame David Davis more for that one as he's nearly lashed the back pass and done it right in the middle of the goal.

What a shit season that was.

Nope, Ikeme's fault, all day. Doing that stupid thing of trying to control the ball with his shins. Wasn't hit very hard at him either.

Worst goal we've conceded in my view was at home to Peston on Boxing Day 2000. Endless head tennis in our box with no closing down and then nodded into the top corner from 16 yards, everyone in the South Bank could see it coming a mile off. Lost 1-0, awful performance, awful goal, threw my season ticket into the crowd. We may have conceded sillier but that was a massive breaking point for me.

Didn't Charlton score an odd own goal where a cross fizzed in it bounced off the defenders shin, off the post straight back to him and in? Mid to late 90's if I haven't dreamt it.

Didn't Charlton score an odd own goal where a cross fizzed in it bounced off the defenders shin, off the post straight back to him and in? Mid to late 90's if I haven't dreamt it.
Phil Chapple, Dec 94

Best goal for me was David Kelly's diving header against Leicester sometime in the 90s

Worst was Paul stancliffes own goal against Barnsley in the late eighties / early nineties

Phil Chapple, Dec 94

Skillz.

giphy.gif

Phil Chapple, Dec 94

Did Paul Jones replace a dropped Stowell for that game and save a penalty and/or was this the game that Muscat injured one of their players and it nearly ended in a court case?

Jones came in at Oldham on Boxing Day (Brian Law's debut, we got tanned 4-1) and this was a couple of days later. Think he did save a very early penalty.

Muscat on Matty Holmes was Feb 98, FA Cup replay.

favourite goal: john Richards vs Liverpool 1980 for a 1-0 win. pretty much full strength Liverpool. evening game, 37,000. was also the emlyn hughes this is your life, but I remember the goal the most. had a great position of it from the north bank.

Mark Burke ran riot that night as well I think. I won't get started on him though as I'll be here all day. Suffice to say he was underappreciated.

Back to the SEB at Charlton video for a second, the fact that the winner was so special means his first gets unfairly overlooked. Look at it, takes up a great position in the first place, decent touch, cracking spin then absolutely cracks it off his wrong foot. What I'd give for a striker like that now. He was unreal in his first 18 months here, better than Afobe was for us.

Edit: Not the same game for Mark Burke. That was 92/93 when we won 5-1 (but also right around Bonfire Night)

I'm not sure he meant to flick it but he reacted so quickly too it and then, as you said, lashed it in. Reminded me of bully in his prime, i don't think bully could have scored SEB s second though!

Mark Burke was so under appreciated, treated the ball like it was something to treasure

It doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.

I suppose the club perhaps would rather he pursued the England route as it'd be more prestigious for them to say they've got an England international on their books, or had at least produced one if/when he's sold on, opposed to a Nigeria international but I wouldn't have thought it really made that much of a difference that you'd leave him out of the team if you thought he was that much better than the alternatives.

Back