• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Ward made it happen in that game.. Versatile player, I remember giving him a lot of stick on here for backing, backing almost into our goalie.. Top pro, good skill, could finish also

Great, we've signed Ikeme up again. I love bog standard bottom six Championship keepers.
WTF.. Does anybody in our backroom staff know anything(just a tiny bit will do) about football.. Doesn't look that way, makes me frustrated and angry.. Imbeciles

WTF.. Does anybody in our backroom staff know anything(just a tiny bit will do) about football.. Doesn't look that way, makes me frustrated and angry.. Imbeciles

Shakes head. Realises that someone rates concrete boots and Mr gloves. Hits the drink cabinet.

Don't get the hate for Ikeme - not the best keeper in the world, hopefully we'll upgrade but no problem with keeping him around

Don't get the hate for Ikeme - not the best keeper in the world, hopefully we'll upgrade but no problem with keeping him around
Really, has he saved us in any game this year? Name one game he was the difference?

Really, has he saved us in any game this year? Name one game he was the difference?

I think it would be foolish to let our first choice keeper go without signing anyone in his place. I agree we need to upgrade but what if we aren't able to land anyone in the summer? We'd be betting on Burgoyen being ready

He's just not very good and realistically no other Championship team would really want him to replace their existing #1.

I want him gone because he's the worst regular keeper I've ever seen us have (Paul Jones' inglorious nine months doesn't count)

I think it would be foolish to let our first choice keeper go without signing anyone in his place. I agree we need to upgrade but what if we aren't able to land anyone in the summer? We'd be betting on Burgoyen being ready
Of course we need a better one in before letting him go.. But extending contracts on average players like batth, ikeme and such isnt gonna move us in the right direction IMO

Gets beaten from 30 yards more than any keeper I know. Fails to command his box enough. Makes world class saves so shot stopping is fine but then gets beat from distance again and blows the good work. Zero communication with his defence.

Hopefully Ikeme and Baath are squad players rather than first teamers next season

Hopefully Ikeme and Baath are squad players rather than first teamers next season

This will only happen if Super Kev and his team get the boot (and it would be for stealing a living). Otherwise we have more glorious league 1 signings and 10 more years of Mr Gloves and Dangerous to look forward to. Oh joy.

Ikeme will be a decent back up goalkeeper, and signing him on makes sense. Though hopefully we will bring in a better no1 keeper.

He's just not very good and realistically no other Championship team would really want him to replace their existing #1.

I want him gone because he's the worst regular keeper I've ever seen us have (Paul Jones' inglorious nine months doesn't count)
Postma and Kuszczak both played plenty of games and are / were worse keepers

I don't think Postma was worse than him, he only played half a season anyway. Kuszczak played even less.

Kendall, Stowell, Oakes, Murray, Hennessey, Hahnemann and Ikeme are the regular keepers over the last 30 years (ish). Ikeme is definitely the worst of them.

Oakes and Ikeme are very similar IMO.

In terms of not commanding the box I agree. Oakes was a way better kicker though and had far less howlers. And didn't break at least once a season.

I concede ikeme is OK as a back up but why bother tying a back up down? Fosun want to show intent but some of the contract decisions do leave me scratching my head a bit. None of the current back five are good enough for a top 6 challenge. All are at best squad players. In midfield Costa and Cav are fine and so is Saiss in terms of quality. I don't know if we have the players to support him. Price is borderline for a top 6 challenge as is an on form Edwards. Dicko and Bod at the moment are all endeavour not enough goals. I appreciate there may be changes in the summer but the whole central spine could do with livening up and quickly.We do need a goalscorer and a leader ast the back or in cm. I can't see the point of not replacing one at least of the cb gk trio as their communication is so poor together and Williamson may not have the longevity or form when he does come back. Afobe was a January signing so we do have previous for doing positive business. Another Afobe, a Leadbitter, and a Shackell type would be a decent January. Bonus buy of a full back and Martinez to solve the gk issue! 5 or 6 out either on loan or permanent.

I concede ikeme is OK as a back up but why bother tying a back up down? Fosun want to show intent but some of the contract decisions do leave me scratching my head a bit. None of the current back five are good enough for a top 6 challenge. All are at best squad players. In midfield Costa and Cav are fine and so is Saiss in terms of quality. I don't know if we have the players to support him. Price is borderline for a top 6 challenge as is an on form Edwards. Dicko and Bod at the moment are all endeavour not enough goals. I appreciate there may be changes in the summer but the whole central spine could do with livening up and quickly.We do need a goalscorer and a leader ast the back or in cm. I can't see the point of not replacing one at least of the cb gk trio as their communication is so poor together and Williamson may not have the longevity or form when he does come back. Afobe was a January signing so we do have previous for doing positive business. Another Afobe, a Leadbitter, and a Shackell type would be a decent January. Bonus buy of a full back and Martinez to solve the gk issue! 5 or 6 out either on loan or permanent.

I agree with your sentiments, the only thing I'd say is that I wouldn't want us to be rash. It makes sense to me to offer existing first-teamers extensions to their contracts with the idea that they get superseded by better players and what was our first team then becomes our squad / back-up players. I don't think that offering existing players new contracts means we won't be trying to improve the squad. The only way not offering Ikeme a new contract would make sense to me would be if we knew we were signing two keepers who are better than him. Same for Baath really, once Stearmans loan expires we've got Baath, Williamson (if he recovers),Hause and EEL as our CB's - and I'd say Baath is better than Hause + EEL.

Until we've actually signed anyone then these players are our first teamers and it would seem an unnecessary risk to not renew their contracts.

I'd be more worried if our existing fringe players got new contracts such as Wallace, Saville et al

Back