• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

What a load of bollocks. In any business you hire the best person for the given job. You don't waste time interviewing people who don't have the necessary ability/qualifications just because they fit a certain 'colour/ethnic' criteria.

Actually many businesses do interview candidates just because they fit a certain colour/ethnic criteria. The police were woefully out of step with the communities they served and have spent many years trying to address that through targeted recruitment.

The law allows for something called genuine occupational requirements where there is a specific need for someone with a particular protected characteristic to do the job.

Many good employers agree to automatically shortlist disabled applicants if they meet the person specification because they recognise that disabled people have barriers that ARE preventing them from equal opportunity in the workplace.

The academic studies that are peer reviewed have concluded that BAME coaches are under represented in the coach/manager workforce in English professional football. It further concluded that this was, in part, because such candidates were not being provided with the opportunities. The numbers back that up both in terms of the number of black coaches and managers and the number of black coaches and managers being considered for these opportunities.

There are suitably qualified BAME coaches and managers out there and the voluntary code only requires Wolves to interview them, not appoint them. The more BAME coaches and managers interviewed should see the number of BAME coaches and managers employed increase. The number of BAME coaches and managers employed should see the number of suitably qualified BAME coaches and managers available increase which will, in turn, see the number appointed increase and we can start a journey towards a better proportion.

Nobody is suggesting that people who don't have the necessary ability/qualifications be interviewing - that IS a load of bollocks.

Well, you get people who make unhelpful comments such as this but should we let our view of this situation by judged by Dwight Yorke expecting to get a job like that? Frank Lampard has just made a big deal about how players with over 50 England caps shouldn't have to do their badges but that hasn't been brought up.

I hadn't seen that. He's an arrogant idiot for saying that, there is data to prove there is no correlation between successful player and manager.

So what? It's absolutely ridiculous. The best man should get the job, whatever colour he is. There's no need for such a crazy agreement.
There is while idiots assume anyone not white is an immigrant.

Always very easy to say "hire the best person for the job", but the point of positive discrimination is that the playing field isn't level once you get to the point of choosing who to hire. Football, like lots of industries, relies hugely on personal contacts and networks. Racism is a systemic thing - you have to compensate for the bottlenecks where people of colour are filtered out by the people in charge, often unwittingly. (This is also why it's no real use pointing to Wolves hiring minority ethnic staff throughout the lower levels of the club. How often is someone in the ticket office, or someone working in marketing, promoted to head coach?)

That's why the Rooney Rule has been such a success in the US, it's about making sure people get the chance to state their case when they usually weren't allowed to before. And, shockingly enough, once coaches of colour over there actually started getting into interviews for coaching jobs, they turned out to be just as capable.

It clearly doesn't translate directly across from the US to soccer, though, as others have said, since in the US it's not as typical for an NFL team to get bought out by new owners with a specific coach they'd like to install as well. But then that goes back to the networks issue. I'd argue that it's one of British football's biggest weaknesses, in that too often clubs sack a manager with a specific alternative in mind rather than exploring every other option. I think changing that would improve the quality of the game as a whole, but the Rooney Rule isn't much help in that regard.

It's also why Paul Ince and Sol Campbell don't help. They're high profile but they massively cheapen the debate and people walk away thinking it'd be tokenism to employ either of those idiots.

Chris Powell and Keith Curle are much better spokesmen.

It's also why Paul Ince and Sol Campbell don't help. They're high profile but they massively cheapen the debate and people walk away thinking it'd be tokenism to employ either of those idiots.

True, but neither of them have been employed higher than League 1, but idiots such as Saunders et al have walked in jobs at Championship and above

Ince got the Blackburn job when they were a decent PL team.

Long Ball Paul. Signing Robbie Fowler and Keith Andrews.

We absolutely smashed them down here in a friendly, they were woeful.

Chris Hughton speaks very well on the issue I have found too.

Yep, they (well, his son, who can be a decent player if he stops the preening) beat us in the Saunders days.

I hadn't seen that. He's an arrogant idiot for saying that, there is data to prove there is no correlation between successful player and manager.

Completely agree. Gerrard now in talks with MK Dons apparently too. He has b license...

Maybe you and I should apply....

Ha, I'm hoping to do my youth award assessment soon so maybe after that... but certainly not at McDons.

Seems like an appropriate point for this article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37924448

Fortunately there is far less of the overt cases of racism that existed in the stands and on the pitch. A lot of great work has been done in this area but more needs to be done to address the institutional issues in football!

I was lucky enough to meet Brendon Batson only recently, he was really nice and I know he has done a lot of work in improving opportunity for BAME coaches through the coaches' bursary.

Always very easy to say "hire the best person for the job", but the point of positive discrimination is that the playing field isn't level once you get to the point of choosing who to hire. Football, like lots of industries, relies hugely on personal contacts and networks. Racism is a systemic thing - you have to compensate for the bottlenecks where people of colour are filtered out by the people in charge, often unwittingly. (This is also why it's no real use pointing to Wolves hiring minority ethnic staff throughout the lower levels of the club. How often is someone in the ticket office, or someone working in marketing, promoted to head coach?)

That's why the Rooney Rule has been such a success in the US, it's about making sure people get the chance to state their case when they usually weren't allowed to before. And, shockingly enough, once coaches of colour over there actually started getting into interviews for coaching jobs, they turned out to be just as capable.

It clearly doesn't translate directly across from the US to soccer, though, as others have said, since in the US it's not as typical for an NFL team to get bought out by new owners with a specific coach they'd like to install as well. But then that goes back to the networks issue. I'd argue that it's one of British football's biggest weaknesses, in that too often clubs sack a manager with a specific alternative in mind rather than exploring every other option. I think changing that would improve the quality of the game as a whole, but the Rooney Rule isn't much help in that regard.

+1

Sums it up about as well as you could hope.

Back