• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

'bought you a horse' ?????????? WTF

more like 'vous êtes un chameau sur pattes maladroit' or even 'footballeur de merde'

Haha yep, some french canadain friends taught me to shout that at hithchikers rural British Columbia several years back

So "Batth, You should buy yourself a horse!!!"

Fine. A different regime signed up to the code than decided not to implement it. I guess we just interview Paul Ince every time now then as a box ticking exercise. Lots was being made of this on ITV last night I noticed. The problem is we are now being told to interview a clearly unsuitable candidate (still no qualifications after all these years) just to satisfy a nonsense quota.

The story falls apart here really

Wolves were spoken to by the EFL, who recognised that the club were going through special circumstances owing to their takeover by Chinese group Fosun International just days before.

25% of players yet 4.2% in senior coaching positions from BAME backgrounds isn't simply because 'black people aren't good enough', that's just a lazy view.

Whether there needs to be a Rooney rule or not, There needs to be change at the very top. The FA council is an absolute embarrassment. Practically all white and male.

Unless we can evidence that no BAME applicants had good coaching background and the appropriate qualifications, I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't adhere to the code. If nothing else, we committed to a process and didn't follow it through, the ownership change didn't have to change that.

Indeed. We were happy to make a big deal of it on our website at the time.

25% of players yet 4.2% in senior coaching positions from BAME backgrounds isn't simply because 'black people aren't good enough', that's just a lazy view.

Whether there needs to be a Rooney rule or not, There needs to be change at the very top. The FA council is an absolute embarrassment. Practically all white and male.

Can you explain why that is a lazy view?

As far as I can tell BAME make up around 4% of all educated coaches and so the employed coaches at top level represent this figure.

I fail to see the correlation between ex-player and senior coach. The top 4 coaches in Britain are not from the UK and barring Pep didn't have stellar playing careers. I fail to see what colour or playing career has to do with coaching ability. I think it's a lazy view to think a player would make a good coach.

Unless we can evidence that no BAME applicants had good coaching background and the appropriate qualifications, I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't adhere to the code. If nothing else, we committed to a process and didn't follow it through, the ownership change didn't have to change that.

From what I have got from reading that story Wolves signed up for it when Morgan was still in charge. Fosun pretty much had a manager to come in with them (Lopitegui) so no interview process would of taken place had he not taken the Spain job.
I think Fosun were determined to employ a foreign coach and will of sounded out a few before having to settle on Zenga. I don't think there was even much of an "interview process". This time there was and they complied by giving an interview to Ince despite us all knowing he isn't fit for purpose.

What do clubs have to do if they receive no "BAME" applications? Go out and find some one who fits with the directive and interview with no intention of hiring?

If Kevin Thelwell had spoken to Derby about the possibility of speaking to Chris Powell and received a quick knock back would that have counted under these rules. Surely Powell was a potential candidate.

Well done in creating an us and them, just what racism needs.

Please tell me which managers were on your list to be interviewed?

If Kevin Thelwell had spoken to Derby about the possibility of speaking to Chris Powell and received a quick knock back would that have counted under these rules. Surely Powell was a potential candidate.

I wanted Powell as manager when we appointed, erm, can't remember, but since then he wouldn't be on my list as he seems to have gone backwards.

From what I have got from reading that story Wolves signed up for it when Morgan was still in charge. Fosun pretty much had a manager to come in with them (Lopitegui) so no interview process would of taken place had he not taken the Spain job.
I think Fosun were determined to employ a foreign coach and will of sounded out a few before having to settle on Zenga. I don't think there was even much of an "interview process". This time there was and they complied by giving an interview to Ince despite us all knowing he isn't fit for purpose.

What do clubs have to do if they receive no "BAME" applications? Go out and find some one who fits with the directive and interview with no intention of hiring?

We just need to interview Jeff Shi for every job in future. Box ticked.

So the list of black managers and coaches in the English game (*Jimmy now sacked)

Chris Hughton at Brighton
Keith Curle, Carlisle, Manager
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink,
Chris Powell
Dino Maamria, Newport County, Assistant manager
Terry Connor, Ipswich, Assistant manager
Alex Dyer,
Dennis Lawrence, Everton, First team coach
Curtis Fleming,
Hakan Hayrettin, (manager at Braintree now)
Warren Hackett,
Patrick Vieira,
Jason Euell, Charlton, U21 coach
Ugo Ehiogu, Tottenham, U21 coach
Jon De Souza, Colchester United academy manager
Darren Moore,
Paul Furlong, QPR, Youth team head coach
Chris Allen, Oxford, 1st team head coach
Osie Abingee,
Sevvy Aslam, Port Vale, Academy director
Chris Ramsey,

I would be interested to see how Keith Curle develops as a manager over the next few seasons and would be happy for us to look at bringing him in at some stage. Patrick Vieira could have real promise and Chris Hughton plus Jimmy Floyd are quite highly rated, Chris Powell too... I know very little about the coaching ability of any of the other names on the list.
I also noticed that "Fitness Coaches" aren't included so us having Tony Daley on the books doesn't count towards us employing someone from the BAME category

Updated

Last edited:
Back