• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Interesting. Is the news being reported elsewhere yet?

Interesting. Is the news being reported elsewhere yet?

Nope. A guy on FF who had posted this on Facebook has had it taken down against his will as well.

We've not been invited to have our U21s take part in the EFL Trophy.

The first 16 clubs with Category One Academies that have been invited to take part in the EFL Trophy 2016/17 are Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Middlesbrough, Newcastle United, Southampton, Stoke City, Sunderland, Swansea City, Tottenham Hotspur, West Bromwich Albion and West Ham United.

Annoying that Swansea have been asked, they only got Cat 1 status a couple of months ago and hardly ever field Academy graduates in their first team.

The back door move for Premier League 'B' teams and as we are not in the PL that stops us doing that. FA and FL being as weak as piss, they should be embarrassed of their actions. Fucking arseholes.

Update: looks like Liverpool and United aren't entering. So we might still have a go.

I don't like the concept but if the offer's there then we should take it. Don't hate the playa etc.

There are 20 category A academies I think? Presumably it'll go to the other teams in the PL with them before it goes to whoever else in the Champ has one.

Newcastle are in the Champ. Hull definitely don't have Cat 1 status, don't think Burnley do either.

Middlesborough, Us, Derby, Blackburn, Newcastle are the ones I can think of not listed there, also I want to say Fulham?

Yeah, Fulham are Cat 1. Boro and Newcastle are on the original list.

Times now saying Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs don't want to play either.

At this rate League 2 teams will be playing their U21 teams...

I hope we do get invited and I hope we take up the offer.

Do we know why teams are turning this down, or are they after more than just a cup run?

Nope, no information beyond they don't want to play.

Liverpool made some bullshit argument about their ground not being ready but that doesn't make any sense, the new stand will be finished before this competition starts and they aren't in Europe. I think (and this is only my speculation) that a sticking point may be that these games are normally played in international breaks when most PL teams have loads of players away, including some of the U21s who would ordinarily play in this.

I know he might not be here much longer but did KT say if we'd take the offer up or not?

I know he might not be here much longer but did KT say if we'd take the offer up or not?

We would be keen:

http://www.wolves.co.uk/news/article/read-importance-of-category-one-3151869.aspx

It appears that Premier League clubs with Category One status will be the first offered the opportunity to enter a team.

But Thelwell says Wolves would be delighted to take up that invitation if it is forthcoming.

“What the league are now doing with the Under-21s programme, and quite rightly too, is to provide more spikes in the programme and give young players the experience of playing in front of crowds in stadiums and with more emphasis on having to win or lose,” he explained.

“It is all about having the additional pressure and stresses involved in that to give them that experience.

“Being involved in the EFL Trophy would be ideal in that respect in providing the players with a really good experience which would bode well for when they move on to our first team and have got to play at Molineux with the same expectations and pressures of needing to win the game.

“I can only see a positive in it and would be absolutely delighted if we were, but at present we are just awaiting clarification as to which teams will be involved.”

We should get a spot then with so many teams out..good experience

Williamson out for start of season. Kenny openly admits he was going to play Baatth with Williamson......perhaps he was going to send Hause on loan after all and keep EEL as cover. The guy is nuts the sooner he is sacked the better.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

It's bad luck rather than signing a crock as this injury is different to the one he came with buts he's proved to be a pretty awful signing so far.

KJ really is bizarre. Hause just played in a successful tournament winning side, put an experience player like Williamson next to him and you could have a really useful partnership. But no, let's just play to 2 cloggers together.

Sooner he's gone the better.

Back