• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Wasn't expecting anything other than that tbh. Still glad I signed the petition.

They didn't need to say they were aware of it though. That's a big "fuck you, I won't do what you tell me" to the fans.

Agreed, and yet that's still exactly what I expected. It's been the consistent message from Wolves recently. They don't give a shit what we think and want us to support the club unconditionally. In Moxey's eyes if a fan has a problem with something he's doing it's nothing to worry about as that fan is automatically the type of person he doesn't want to follow Wolves.

How could they not be aware? Pretty sure the E&S has had it as a prominent story for 2+ days running now.
Plus, Spiers opening line is likely to be along the lines of "so, there's a petition been started on the new sponsor. Any comment?"
How would it look if our head of communications said "I wasn't aware of this".

To be expected - hopefully though few will buy next years shirt - its one thing for the club to ignore fans feelings, but I am certainly not prepared to become a walking advert for this sponsor

How could they not be aware? Pretty sure the E&S has had it as a prominent story for 2+ days running now.
Plus, Spiers opening line is likely to be along the lines of "so, there's a petition been started on the new sponsor. Any comment?"
How would it look if our head of communications said "I wasn't aware of this".

You'd expect a good PR man to give a more 'political' response than that though, unless he wanted to make a point.

I actually emailed the club a few days ago, just heard back from them now. Thought I'd share what the guy has to say.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us to express your views and I’m sorry you’re so disappointed at today’s announcement. We have examined the correspondence received on this subject and formulated a response in order to try and address all the keys points. I’m realistic this response may not change your overall opinion, but hopefully I’ll be able to bring some important points to your attention. However, having said that should you wish to discuss this further with me then please feel free to do so, my direct dial number is ***********.

The Money Shop has been based in Wolverhampton since 2001, both employing and serving many local people. They have 250 high street stores, with 20 of those based in the region. They have also been the sponsor of the Sir Jack Hayward Stand for the last seven years and by the time the initial three-year main club sponsorship agreement ends, they will have supported the club for over ten years. Therefore, they are a very established and long-standing sponsor of Wolves, who we all know very well. The Money Shop are a fully diversified financial services provider, offering a range of financial products. Short term loans are just one part of their overall offering, along with other financial products such as travel money and pre-paid cards. The Money Shop are fully regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and are leading the way with going above and beyond what is required from regulation. To be frank, if they weren’t active in short-term loans, which are only offered after a rigorous affordability check, then undoubtedly, they would leave a major vacuum for unscrupulous – and unregulated – lenders to enter the fold. The Money Shop are offering a transparent choice, which is subject to stringent checks, and many customers benefit from the service.

Michael Edwards, The Money Shop’s Chairman, who is also a lifelong Wolves fan and a former Chief Executive of Brighton & Hove Albion’s Community Trust, talked at the press conference about how The Money Shop intended to work with the Club and Wolves Community Trust to improve financial awareness, education and put something back into the local community. The sponsorship of Wolves gives them the media platform to talk about the steps to improve transparency - as I referred to above - and to communicate the fact they are much more than a short term loans provider. The overall reaction to the announcement perhaps justifies their reasoning and shows there’s still lots to be done in this area. Over the next three years, The Money Shop will be a running a number of different community and fan projects. Therefore, hopefully, as the relationship develops over time, The Money Shop will be able to convey the full reality and scope of what they offer and the role they are playing to improve financial transparency in the markets in which they operate. The fact we’ve managed to secure a three-year main club sponsorship deal with The Money Shop – in the face of fierce competition in the sponsorship market and despite being up for sale – is a very significant achievement for the Club. With the Club available for sale – and with the search for new investment ongoing – we have to work harder than ever to generate our own income via commercial activities and as I’ve said before, The Money Shop agreement has been secured after many months of hard work – particularly by my commercial colleagues. This sort of commercial revenue is essential to the Club as we live within our means, whilst continuing to try and improve the squad.

I note you do not wish to receive any correspondence from us which associates with The Money Shop. I absolutely understand and respect your view on this however, can I ask you to utilise the ‘unsubscribe’ button from the previous or next email you receive which will prevent any further emails being received by you.

Thanks again for your correspondence. As I alluded to at the start of my email, I would never assume to change your opinion. However, I’ve tried to address all of your points individually and, hopefully, you’ve got some sense of the research and diligence involved in securing The Money Shop as a main club sponsor, and the time we’ve spent on learning and building our understanding of the regulated markets in which they operate.

Best regards

Paul

Paul Richards
Head of Safeguarding & Supporter Liaison Officer

At least you got a response Lycan. It's one long advert for the new sponsor and I note that they have now been given a media platform to deliver their message.This disgusts me.

And I can really see a company who's basis is loan sharking and pawnbroking espousing the importance of keeping a hold of personal finances. Any Turkeys voting for Christmas?

You'd expect a good PR man to give a more 'political' response than that though, unless he wanted to make a point.

A good PR man at Wolves? LOLZ.

I read elsewhere that the owner of the Money shop could be one of the people interested in buying Wolves. Though I have no idea if that is correct, or just the rumour mill going into overdrive.

I read elsewhere that the owner of the Money shop could be one of the people interested in buying Wolves. Though I have no idea if that is correct, or just the rumour mill going into overdrive.

He can't get the finance.

Thought it was a pretty good email tbf. Maybe I'm naïve or maybe I'm being open minded about them and the club?

Thought it was a pretty good email tbf. Maybe I'm naïve or maybe I'm being open minded about them and the club?

It was a good email on Wolves' part. I wasn't expecting a reply at all tbh.

He's right in that it's done very little to change my opinion of The Money Shop but at least they made the effort to write back.

What I will say in their defence is that I've never seen any issues whatsoever with The Money Shop as payday lenders, from a work capacity. Compared to others in that field they're streets ahead.

"One of the UK's major payday lenders will refund £15.4m to 147,000 customers - many of whom were given loans they could not afford to repay"

"To be frank, if they weren’t active in short-term loans, which are only offered after a rigorous affordability check"

eh?

I've seen this argument a couple of times and the simple answer is yes. People need a bank to earn money from a job, pay their bills and keep their money in. The new Wolves sponsor is not needed at all and it too has been caught and fined by the FSA for financial mis-selling meaning they had to pay £15m back to people they'd fleeced ( Details here )

Just for the sake of accuracy, you could alternately use a Building Society instead of a Bank.

I think that is a decent response from the club to be fair, way better than the Moxey or Grayson statements in the E&S. As he says at the beginning, he's not going to change many minds, but at least more effort has been made to justify the partnership

What I will say in their defence is that I've never seen any issues whatsoever with The Money Shop as payday lenders, from a work capacity. Compared to others in that field they're streets ahead.

Well there are three who are apparently worse than them, not sure that makes them streets ahead...

I think that is a decent response from the club to be fair, way better than the Moxey or Grayson statements in the E&S. As he says at the beginning, he's not going to change many minds, but at least more effort has been made to justify the partnership

A more honest justification would have been much shorter.

They are giving us money they have made off the back of poor people. We need money.

Yours

The Wolves

Back