• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Kids shirts can't have Gambling or Alcohol products displayed on them

do we know how much they've paid for the privelage and if it goes up by much on promotion? (I know, seems unlikely)

do we know how much they've paid for the privelage and if it goes up by much on promotion? (I know, seems unlikely)

We normally say something about how many figures it is but it has been quiet this time. Would indicate it isn't a massive deal

The stand and the shirt are so vastly different though. If you offered me the choice between not having these as a sponsor or a player (even a decent player) paid for by this money, I wouldn't want the player. I would happily sign a petition.

Whilst not something that I get involved in, I dislike the amount of gambling links and advertising surrounding football in particular.

I agree with this, you only have to listen to a live match on talkshite to see just how endemic it is on todays game.
The half finishes and the first thing they talk about is odds for the 2nd half, not the first half of football...it completely alienates me
from the game.

Id feel the same if we had Bright House on the front of the shirt....prey on the vunerable.

We normally say something about how many figures it is but it has been quiet this time. Would indicate it isn't a massive deal

I wondered why he looked shiftier than usual when spouting bullshit for 10 minutes in that clip at the top of the page.

Can't wait to see how the new shirt sponsors are going to help with the community scheme at Wolves. Seriously, does he not think about the reputation of the club, the image of a football club in the wider community and the sheer ignorance he displays when he's talking such shite.

A fucking crass clueless idiot of a CEO.

Having had the new shirt each time one has come out this won't stop me having one. As long as it is gold with the wolves logo that's all that matters for me, what is printed on the front has never influenced me to do business or give that company my hard earned money. I am sure the club signed the deal that was in the best interests of the club financially. I am sure if we looked in to all kit suppliers and sponsors there would be moral issues as every company is out to make as much money as they can. My only interest is the badge on the chest and the name on the back.

I've never bought any Doritos, never gambled, haven't got a clue who Siverbug are or Chaucer were, I may have had a Goodyear tyre fitted at some stage.
I agree with Jinky & Mark etc, most fans pay little interest to what's printed on he shirt and whateve it says has little or no effect on the decisions they make.

I wondered why he looked shiftier than usual when spouting bullshit for 10 minutes in that clip at the top of the page.

Can't wait to see how the new shirt sponsors are going to help with the community scheme at Wolves. Seriously, does he not think about the reputation of the club, the image of a football club in the wider community and the sheer ignorance he displays when he's talking such shite.

A fucking crass clueless idiot of a CEO.

The bloke has no class and he wishes the club to reflect his lack of values.

I've never bought any Doritos, never gambled, haven't got a clue who Siverbug are or Chaucer were, I may have had a Goodyear tyre fitted at some stage.
I agree with Jinky & Mark etc, most fans pay little interest to what's printed on he shirt and whateve it says has little or no effect on the decisions they make.

You've just proved that marketing does work though Trev, so whether you care or not you now have brand awareness of those companies. The new shirt sponsor is hoping to increase their brand by using the reputation and standing of WWFC. WWFC hold themselves in high regard as a community club and our esteemed CEO wants Wolves fans to follow Wolves regardless, to the point of commissioning a report to tell him so, the new shirt sponsor is at odds with with how the CEO wants the club to look. Unless he wants the club to look like they are a couldn't-give-a-shit company willing to sacrifice moral standing for a few quid.

As Sniffer has said if people think this sponsorship deal is about fat blokes or superfans buying shirts they're deluded. This is marketing pure and simple and it's all pretty distasteful.

Nothing against you, Mark or Jinky, everyone supports the club in their own way, but I just can't get my head around this POV.

The club is surely more than just a collection of young men playing a game. I don't follow just the badge or the shirt our players wear, I support Wolverhampton Wanderers as a whole. How they conduct themselves in all areas matters a great deal to me.

Something that Wolves are losing sight of (Lost sight of) is that not every deal is a good deal just because it get you the most money. If every deal that businesses did was about money you end up with no customers.

Wolves treat people like O2 or talktalk or someone that has that many customers that losing a few hundred by a shit service won't effect them. At a time where Wolves are losing thousands of customers they really should be doing things different.

Another company you pay so much into and get so little back, and then there's the Money Shop :)

S'ok. A pie and a pint and a 1% APR discount will make it all OK.

Something that Wolves are losing sight of (Lost sight of) is that not every deal is a good deal just because it get you the most money. If every deal that businesses did was about money you end up with no customers.

Wolves treat people like O2 or talktalk or someone that has that many customers that losing a few hundred by a shit service won't effect them. At a time where Wolves are losing thousands of customers they really should be doing things different.

This.

3049ce736161a6e71dd00298611f50ec.jpg

Wolves aren't exactly going to have people queue up to sponsor us. I imagine we won't be on TV as much next year.

Although I'm sure the deal isn't going to be that great financially so we could have just got someone else for less money.

Plus I never actually knew the south bank was sponsored by the money shop

Last edited:
Personally I was more offended by Dean Saunders being named as our manager than this news.

I'm not entirely happy with the news, but actually I do think it is better than a gambling firm. Whilst I wasn't hugely happy re sporting bet, I wasn't outraged either.

I do agree with the perspective that gambling adverts in general have become far too endemic in our society. I also agree that more investigation and potentially regulation needs to happen regarding money lending in the UK (the consumer credit act dates from the early 70's FFS, surely it needs updating!), but I do also see the point regarding this hyperbole anger at the clubs sponsor being this.

For those who are putting forward the don't buy the shirt if you don't like it argument, that doesn't represent a true rejection for those unhappy. Many many fans don't buy shirts because of the colour not being right, or the collar not being to their liking, or a myriad of other reasons. That won't register unless there is a spectacular fall in sales.

But the people not happy, do you refuse to watch television because they advertise for gambling/money lending and all sorts of other objectionable goods? Do you refuse to buy a car because it may be damaging to the environment? Do you refuse to go to a pub or off licence because alcohol carries risks?

Just shows the contempt they have for their own brand that they're willing to let a company like that advertise on the front of our shirts.

I've also always felt that sponsors like these (and SportingBet before) were massively disrespectful to players like Nouha Dicko. I doubt there will have been much thought given to how he feels about having their brand plastered all over his chest.

I hope there's some sort of petition started to get this decision reversed.

Fairly sure Nouha wore a sportingbet logo'd shirt didn't he?

Nothing against you, Mark or Jinky, everyone supports the club in their own way, but I just can't get my head around this POV.

The club is surely more than just a collection of young men playing a game. I don't follow just the badge or the shirt our players wear, I support Wolverhampton Wanderers as a whole. How they conduct themselves in all areas matters a great deal to me.

Don't start grouping me in with others. I didn't, to any degree, say I don't care about how Wolverhampton Wanderers conduct themselves in off-field matters. My main point was, that certainly from a fan point of view, football is very fickle. What's today's daily moan/grumble/issue will be forgotten tomorrow if the team start performing on the pitch and winning games of football. Anyone who disagrees with that is more than likely lying to themselves.

And considering less than 5% of the average Molineux attendance on matchday (and that's forgetting the thousands of other Wolves fans spread around the world who don't attend games week in week out) have signed the online petition so far, I'd argue that my "storm in a teacup" comment from earlier is pretty accurate about how the majority of the fanbase feel about this news.

I'm not overly happy with it, if they used the money to pay off Ken I'd grudgingly be on board.

Ultimately he makes my Saturdays worse than anything you could possibly print on the shirt.

Back