• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I was working on the Billy Wright turnstiles the Swindon sending off, came out to go over to the John Ireland to count my tickets and thought were's bloody Bully. Didnt know he was sent off till I cashed in.

Fond memories, the last minute winner at The Shit, Bully's 4 at St James, although I didnt go on the plane as I was skint, record equalling goal at Twerton Park, and the record breaker at The Baseball. I could go on and on...

When you've watched all that, the football these days pales into fucking tedious boredom... The late 80s and 90s on The Pathfinders coaches were the best away days in the world.

When you've watched all that, the football these days pales into fucking tedious boredom... The late 80s and 90s on The Pathfinders coaches were the best away days in the world.

:eek:ldboy:

I can't remember ever seeing him play, can't remember what would've been my first game but would've thought he was still around at that point.

I had to wait 3 or 4 games before I saw him score and I was desperate to see a Bully goal. The 1st one I saw was when we beat Sheff Wed 3-2 in 1991. Mutch scored the other two but seeing Bully score was the best of the lot. A Bully goal was always that little bit more special than the rest.

I've seen a number of very very good players over the years (especially in my early days), but no one epitomises the club as much as he does

I feel sad you never had the opportunity of seeing GOD live. He was out of this world.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Directed at me, I assume?

I'll be happy to see any Wolves live someday. May not be Bull and Co. but it won't be less special.

Favourite Bully moment has got to be the Blues 3-2. My dad always took me in that end as a kid 'because it wasn't as boisterous as the South Bank' it certainly was in the 92nd minute that day!

That Swindon game was something else, three sendings off, Dougie Freedman screamer and then Paul Simpson lobbing one in from half way.

Jesus. Bully was a player, he banged them in left right and centre, I didn't realise how lucky we were until he retired. I grew up with us having a striker who scored seemingly for fun and never left us, I thought that was normal!

His England record was pretty decent, and I'm sure the rumours of him and linekar are what kept him out the team, we played some dog shit up front after 90.

He was bloody magnificent. Some part of me wishes that he would have gone on to prove himself at a bigger club, but I'm forever greatful that he didn't.

Bully coming on for England is like a JFK moment for many Wolves fans. Spent the whole day building up to the game, then most of the game waiting for him to come on too. The pride!

First time I saw him play was in his very early days with us (something like his 4th or 5th game), missed an absolute sitter with 5 mins left, I turned to the bloke next to be and said "thats another fucking donkey we have bought"

I always was a good judge of a player...

First time I saw him play was in his very early days with us (something like his 4th or 5th game), missed an absolute sitter with 5 mins left, I turned to the bloke next to be and said "thats another fucking donkey we have bought"

I always was a good judge of a player...

Are you Ron Saunders?

The one question that was never answered was how would Bully have fared in the top division?

During the era he was in, he would have been fine. He showed he could score at International level, so no reason he wouldn't have scored plenty in the top flight in the early 90's

At his peak he would have been absolutely fine I am sure.

He proved with England that he could score at the top level. While I was delighted he stayed with Wolves, I sometimes wonder how his international career might have been if he had been playing in the top division.

My first 3 wolves games were in the 88/89 season

Wolves 6 Preston 0
Wolves 6 Mansfield 2
Wolves 5 Fulham 2

Our resident statto can probably provide full details but in those 3 games I think Steve Bull scored 11 goals. It was a stunning introduction to watching Wolves. I was at a few other games towards the end of the season including the 2-2 draw with Sheffield United.

i reckon bully would have been better protected had he been playing in the top flight. whilst it only takes one bad tackle to end a career, he accumulated a lot playing for us in the lower leagues. really he was a top flight standard player, we just didn't have quite enough quality in the team around him to get up when he was at his peak. it's horrible to think back at times - i still haven't got over us selling robbie keane to coventry FFS. shocking.

I always like the comment by big Ron 'his first touch is terrible, but his second touch he scores'

For your entertainment and annoyance HITC have completed their run down of the Top 30 Wolves players of all time:

1 Billy Wright
2 Steve Bull
3 Bill Slater
4 Bert Williams
5 John Richards
6 Kenny Hibbitt
7 Derek Dougan
8 Jimmy Mullen
9 Ron Flowers
10 Dave Wagstaffe
11 Derek Parkin
12 Dennis Westcott
13 Andy Mutch
14 Andy Thompson
15 SEB
16 Andy Gray
17 Dean Richards
18 Kenny Miller
19 Jo Lescott
20 Robbie Keane
21 Paul Butler
22 Mike Stowell
23 Alex Rae
24 Paul Ince
25 Colin Cameron
26 Phil Parkes
27 Jody Craddock
28 Mark Venus
29 Lee Naylor
30 Bakary Sako

Yes, I know these things are subjective, but a list that includes Naylor, Miller and Butler but not Broadbent, Hancocks or Cullis! You then click on the profile of the guy who compiled it and find out he's a Chelsea fan from Cannock so must have done it courtesy of Google.....

Back