• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I expect Frank to give a thesis of how Paul Butler was better than Frank Munro.

Bailey, Farmer, Deeley, Knowles?

The list highlights Wolves lack of top talent over the last forty odd years.

The list highlights Wolves lack of top talent over the last forty odd years.

Is that surprising when we've spent around three quarters of the last 40 years outside of the top flight and at times in divisions three and four?

that is a terrible list. robert taylor was probably at 31, just ahead of broadbent. at least he got dennis westcott in there.

Paul Ince? Fuck off

No Jesse Pye either. So basically we have Ince in there and not two people who both scored 2 in our most recent FA Cup final victories. Okay.

Also, no Finlayson, no Clamp, no Swinbourne, no Hancocks

Appalling list.

It isn't the best list but then you can't really have it monopolised by players no-one under the age of 60 can possibly have seen play.

It isn't the best list but then you can't really have it monopolised by players no-one under the age of 60 can possibly have seen play.

But they are the best Wolves players of all time. The record says it. To have the likes of Paul "two seasons of pointing" Ince in there is a fucking joke.

Publisher throws a few curve balls in there to annoy and it works ^^^^^^ Job done plenty of spleens being vented and busted blood vessels.

Wouldn't make for much of a list though would it? Here's a list of Wolves' 30 greatest players. Unless you're drawing a pension you won't have seen 20+ of them. You've got to try to appeal to as many people as possible, personally I don't see that I can pass comment on players who retired 20+ years before I was born. And I'm hardly young these days, there's an entire generation of Wolves supporters younger than me.

Probably why we aren't exactly the perfect club for such a list to be drawn up from for that site really.

i reckon bully would have been better protected had he been playing in the top flight. whilst it only takes one bad tackle to end a career, he accumulated a lot playing for us in the lower leagues. really he was a top flight standard player, we just didn't have quite enough quality in the team around him to get up when he was at his peak. it's horrible to think back at times - i still haven't got over us selling robbie keane to coventry FFS. shocking.

Agree with all this. The contradiction in keeping hold of bully, then almost immediately selling keane still rankles.

We had to sell Keane. We needed 4-5 first team players badly as Sir Jack was in one of his non-funding spells, the squad was paper thin and of low quality and selling our only asset was the last option left to us. We actually spent the money fairly well, Akinbiyi was overpriced but that's always going to happen when other clubs know you've just sold a striker and are desperate for a replacement. Something we bizarrely overlooked in January when we sold Afobe.

The bids for Bully in the early to mid 90s were in very different circumstances.

It's not so much the fact that we sold Keane so soon that annoys me, it's the fact that we sold him to fucking Coventry! It still annoys me now! It just made it worse that a season later he went to Inter for double the money too.

He wanted to go, we wanted the money, Coventry were an established top flight club and Villa (Gregory?) wouldn't pay the fee. I had a good chuckle when he scored for Coventry against them.

He wanted to go, we wanted the money, Coventry were an established top flight club and Villa (Gregory?) wouldn't pay the fee. I had a good chuckle when he scored for Coventry against them.

Exactly, Cov might be a pile of shite now but at the time they'd been in the top flight for over 30 years unbroken. We can't pick and choose who bids for our players.

Suspect it was Deadly Doug who refused to stump up the cash rather than Gregory.

Was it Sir Alex who said he wouldn't pay a penny over £2m for Robbie?

Back