• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Football Manager

Success! - Hugo Sanchez now has a poor opinion of me!

Oh, and just gone 50 league games unbeaten, signed Gareth Bale for £34m etc...

We finally broke the 100 point barrier!

Time for the 2022 World Cup, and the game has chosen my squad for me leaving out Wilshere and picking 8 forwards. Brilliant.

We're World Cup winners after an insane penalty shoot-out against the Dutch.

We score our first four, up steps my left back to seal it and he John Terry's it against the post. Holland score so it's 4-4 after the first 5. We then miss the first pen in sudden death, the Dutch keeper with an unbelievable save. Up steps the Dutch striker, he sends Joe Hart the wrong way but his penalty cannons off the post! The Ox steps up and absolutely lashes it into the top left corner, and then Joe Hart pulls off a great save to win it!

All this after a very shoddy in the groups, where we were comfortably beaten by Australia, and my first choice central midfield obtaining bans for the final.

Is it time to leave?

Well the quest to win everything is over before the league season has even begun, as we lose to Man Utd 3-0 on penalties.

I'm really struggling to get my strikers involved enough at this level, no way can we play 4-4-2 like we did in the Regionalliga but here they have next to no impact as a lone striker so we're over reliant on goals from the widemen and off set pieces. I'll go with my 6'3'' Icelandic lump for now, he's good in the air even if he does have the pace of Trevor Benjamin on mogadon.

My Solihull Moors team still seem to be playing in Andy Keogh's old boots, we're so fucking wasteful in front of goal, occasionally we'll have a game where things go well and we'll hit 4 or 5, only problem is the defence usually fall apart when that happens, drew 5-5 with Stoke and just lost 5-4 to Blues. We dont seem to work particularly well as a team anymore, think some of my more ambitious signings in the Premier League have upset the balance a little, going to try and offload a few this season that didn't work out particularly well and then hope i can find some adequate replacements, hopefully ones that classify as home grown so i can start naming a full bench.

Fierro scores his 300th Wolves goal. Bully's record awaits.

Solihull Moors will be in Europe next season!

Shipped out a few of the Premier League failures in the January window and my board decided to nearly double my wage budget as well as throwing me £12.5m to spend, so i went out for a bit of shopping, a young Spanish forward i picked up from Chelsea worked out particularly well, scoring 15 league goals in the 2nd half of the season. We ended the season with 112 goals and 100 points, not bad considering Blues were 12 points clear at Christmas, that good form spilled over into the FA cup too, a couple of narrow wins over Premier League opponents Arsenal and Norwich set me up for a final against Man City. We were absolutely battered for most of the game, they had 26 shots to my 8 but my young Spanish forward was clinical bagging himself 2 goals for us to win 3-2.

Lets hope i can invest my Premier League money a little more wisely this time round.

My squad is off to an unconvincing start to the season... Several draws, only winning by 1 or 2 goals, conceding often. I don't understand how teams get so hot/cold in this game. It's aggravating.

Same as real life to an extent. If you continually play exactly the same way then teams will work you out over time. Like with Wolves last season, watch us for a while and you see that we create nothing through the middle, Doyle's running towards the corner flag amounts to nothing, our right backs are all liabilities and our centre-halves turn slower than milk. So, stop the wingers, ignore Doyle, mount loads of attacks down your left and get running at Johnson and Berra, and you turn Wolves from tricky opponents into a basket case.

I've had a few great looking signings lined up already, not even rolled over into the new season yet, but keep getting gazumped by the bigger, more established clubs.

So far i've lost a bargain central midfielder to Celtic, relegated West Ham's star player chose Liverpool over me, Southampton beat me to a centre half from Rapid Wien and some Spanish club tempted Boca's keeper away from me.

I've got a decent budget this summer, £20m+, but it looks like it'll be very hard to spend it on any immediate improvements, might have to search for promising youngsters and take the relegation hit again.

The new season dawns, think i've managed to strengthen better this time round than my last attempt at the Premier League, turned down the offer of the Chelsea job in the summer and denied interest in taking over from Mourinho at Arsenal too, lets hope those decisions dont come back to bite me in the ass. Wages are running a little high, mostly because i haven't been able to clear as many older players as i would've liked rather than expensive new signings, but hopefully a few of them will find suitors as the season wears on. I managed to sign a player that is apparently going to boost shirt sales, Filip Djuricic, and someone i've actually heard of too in Insua.

Just had a brave go at United in the Community Shield, took the lead and was holding on nicely until my substitute right back had a mare as my keeper palmed away a decent effort from Cleverly, the ball dropped to him and rather than hoof it away he seemed to try and knock it back to the keeper who was still on the floor. We fell apart a little after that, ended up losing 4-2, dont expect the league meeting will be any closer after United just splased £43m on Goetze.

Same as real life to an extent. If you continually play exactly the same way then teams will work you out over time. Like with Wolves last season, watch us for a while and you see that we create nothing through the middle, Doyle's running towards the corner flag amounts to nothing, our right backs are all liabilities and our centre-halves turn slower than milk. So, stop the wingers, ignore Doyle, mount loads of attacks down your left and get running at Johnson and Berra, and you turn Wolves from tricky opponents into a basket case.

I don't use the same formations, and every week I get praised for being a tinkerer. Same as last year. They're fluid in the formations I'm using, so that isn't the issue.

I do realize that it's not "authentic" to completely dominate consistently but that doesn't make it less aggravating. A guy who was getting a hat trick every other game has scored maybe 5 goals in the first half of the season, defense is being leaky, possession not being maintained the way it was... Oh well. Just bitching because I have nothing better to do. I'm still winning.

Last edited:
Changing your formations is likely to be the problem, I keep the same shape but alter closing down, width and tempo to adjust to each team I'm playing.

That might be an idea, I typically run similar width/tempos and have identical defensive instructions in the formations. Worked brilliantly for me last year though.

All the formations just recently got maxed out too, now I'm gonna go changing em again...

Just had my first European game, disappointing turn out though with only half the ground full, picked up a 1-0 win though which sets me nicely for the away leg, hopefully i'll keep getting sell outs in the league and it wasn't just a one off for the opening game. I need that money rolling in, managed to sell another player i didn't want though, swapped from playing a sort of 4231 to 41212 so i've ditched two wingers that couldn't play any narrower and kept the two that could, thankfully the ones that could also play centrally were the better ones.

Downloaded a league pack which included the San Marino league. Decided to give myself a challenge - try and make this team of 'World Beaters' into a major European side.

bQiXq.jpg

Not sure this'll work because the League's reputation will make sure I can't buy great players - so I'll have to sign unknown Italians and Sammarinese players...

Cornwall has a league team! Truro City have made it to league 2 some how.

Back