• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Football Manager

I hate managing in England in FM23 thanks to the daft transfer and registration rules.

I switched to Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga instead where there are virtually no squad limits or work permits.

The Champions League home grown rules are killing me in my Bonnyrigg save.

It's a noble idea but Scotland hasn't trained a worthwhile footballer since Ally McCoist ffs, and I've got to do 4 from Bonnyrigg and then another 4 from Scotland, which means I'm frequently basically only having 3-5 worthwhile footballers on the bench. If you loan a teenager outside of Scotland then that time doesn't count as homegrown, but if I keep them with me or chuck them at the championship then they don't develop as well as the ones I send to Belgium/Holland etc.

Only option is to find a 17 year old that's a genuine first team squad option, and is also affordable and wants to come. You can imagine the size of that pool!

24 is the best for ages. 25 is going to be very different and from what it sounds like, not brilliant to start with as they are behind schedule.

It’s also a no brainer with fm 24 being free!

I notice they’ve delayed the new one to the end of November, I could see it being a bit of a mess with the new engine and everything - at least for 6 months while they iron out the issues
Basically this, think the amount of work the new match engine brings was underestimated!

Basically this, think the amount of work the new match engine brings was underestimated!
This does not shock me.

They've been talking about a subscription type system but I don't see that happening this year.

This does not shock me.

They've been talking about a subscription type system but I don't see that happening this year.
Yeah they keep putting that off!

Oh my FUCKING GOD I HATE THIS FUCKING GAME

So towards the end of last season we moved into our new stadium, a whopping 16,616 capacity - up from 4500 previously. Obviously every game sold out, so I asked the board to expand the stadium. Great idea, they say. It's a chunky extension; another 9000 seats, will take about a year.

Now normally when you extend you just get a bit of a reduced capacity for a while, understandable. But they've moved me out of the stadium for the whole season while they do the works, and looked for a local stadium to share.

Bonnyrigg is a little town in Midlothian, less than ten miles from Edinburgh. Locally you've got Easter Road and Tynecastle that both hold about 20k, and you've also got Murrayfield, at a whopping 67k.

They've put me in Poltonhall Sports Complex. For a year. Capacity - 1000. This is a real actual place.

1725467578142.png

WHAT THE FUCK.

My average season ticket cost is £1000 (Hi Jeff, don't do it). So now moving out of my shiny new stadium for a year will result in £16m in lost revenue *just on season tickets*. I'll lose about £1m for every Viaplay/SC/CL home cup tie. £30m down the bastard swannie - my entire turnover excluding transfer profit last year....£82m. I made a Champions LEague Quarter Final ffs.

Not only that, but to rent A FUCKING FIELD is costing me £875k for the year. 1000 computer people are going to spend a grand to stand in an actual fucking field. Champion's League knockout games. Some of the finest young footballers in Europe are going to grace a 4g astroturf pitch.

Like mate honestly what the fuck are you doing to me. Raging.

If Jeff ever moves us to Aldersley I'm going to be very upset.

Will you be allowed to play your UCL games there?

I genuinely think this forum is at it's absolute zenith when Del starts on the Football Manager anecdotes.

The post from a few years back regarding the podcasts in the car, the suit for cup finals etc is in the top 3 greatest TWF posts of all time

I do a daily podcast for the fans on the way into work in the car.

When I was getting grief from the ex-wife for staying up all night, I'd go to bed at the same time as her, but set my alarm for 2 hours later. I'd wake up all ninja style, and sneak downstairs. First thing first - got a glass of water that I'd start walking up the stairs with as soon as I heard a noise as my cover.

I do actual press conferences post game, and for new signings. Not the game ones, *actual* talking.

I have also woke the family up whilst celebrating a goal. It was only an equaliser away at Man City, when I was firmly in midtable, but I'd came from 3-0 down and made some radical tactical changes (4-1-2-1-2 to a 3-2-2-3 (new to the players) and felt vindicated. I then went to a 5-4-1 to protect my point...

I've thrown a full can of Pepsi (I had a contract with them/lots in the fridge) at the wall when I missed out on the signing of Jonas Lunden one pre-season.

I've also put on a suit for a cup final.

My biggest achievement was on the 21st of May, 2022 - 4071 days after I took the job of managing League 2 Rotherham - the day The Millers became Champions of Europe.

165 players bought, for £301m. 245 players sold or released, for £269m. A game that I'd been playing for 8 days, 1 hour and 3 minutes. Never has a victory smelled so sweet.

I was rewarded three seasons later, after winning a further 2 CL's and one Premier League with this:

delwoppiopark.jpg

I fucking love this game.
There it is

I still do the podcast thing :ROFLMAO: This very morning I was talking about how it's tough knowing we've got to sell a star a season to bring three potential ones in, but there's no point in keeping unhappy players, and we're at the point soon where the stars will align, we'll start reaching CL semi-finals and proving to players they can achieve their ambitions here.

Obviously tomorrow's show about the stadium move is going to be less positive

I'm really hoping the current ones are done in a terrible, terrible 'och aye the noo, hoots mon' Scottish accent.

Not sure my old, clockwork, wind-up laptop will cope with FM25, so might have to wait until I have to upgrade. The only game I play too, haven`t got the reflexes to play Fifa etc. so am able to plod along playing FM.

Back