• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Football Manager

I can't buy the new one yet, I'm in a brilliant save with Tamworth. Just finished the 2028/29 season and we finished seventh in the Premier League, so in the qualifying rounds for the Europa league. Haven't had this much fun (or challenge!) with the game for ages.

I'm at the stage now where I can see the CS, ESC, LC, FAC, WCC, PL, CL seven trophy haul within the next decade, then I'll buy the new one.

One thing the project has done for me is made me REALLY stingy with wages. Normally after a handful of seasons at the top I'm too rich to give a shit about wages, will happily give teenagers £30-60k per week and still loan them out until they're good enough, but this is the first season I've had a wage budget of over £1m per week so I've had to be really fucking careful with money. We're the lowest commercial revenue earners, have only just had the stadium brought up to 20k etc, so we've just not had the money to get the players I want, but that's starting to turn now. Also losing a star player every season as they're going 18 months refusing to sign a deal and I can't let them get into that last twelve months so have to sell them, but for under market value which is annoying. Hopefully being in Europe here on in will stop the cunts wanting to move to a bigger club.

Much more satisfying starting at a small club and taking them up the ranks.

Yeah, haven't tried it for years tbf, always either Wolves or Everton/Spurs as my natural choices, then get bored once I've had 5 or so seasons of dominance. It's been a real challenge, especially as no matter what division I've been in, I've been the smallest club, smallest ground etc. Hardest bit was turning good PL jobs when I was struggling to get out of league one for a few years and the budget wasn't increasing enough to compensate for the players I was losing.

I always enjoyed doing the Pro Vercelli challenge in Italy. Actually more fun than multiple champions league triumphs with Wolves.

I can't buy the new one yet, I'm in a brilliant save with Tamworth. Just finished the 2028/29 season and we finished seventh in the Premier League, so in the qualifying rounds for the Europa league. Haven't had this much fun (or challenge!) with the game for ages.

I'm at the stage now where I can see the CS, ESC, LC, FAC, WCC, PL, CL seven trophy haul within the next decade, then I'll buy the new one.

One thing the project has done for me is made me REALLY stingy with wages. Normally after a handful of seasons at the top I'm too rich to give a shit about wages, will happily give teenagers £30-60k per week and still loan them out until they're good enough, but this is the first season I've had a wage budget of over £1m per week so I've had to be really fucking careful with money. We're the lowest commercial revenue earners, have only just had the stadium brought up to 20k etc, so we've just not had the money to get the players I want, but that's starting to turn now. Also losing a star player every season as they're going 18 months refusing to sign a deal and I can't let them get into that last twelve months so have to sell them, but for under market value which is annoying. Hopefully being in Europe here on in will stop the cunts wanting to move to a bigger club.

I love a small club challenge.

Still playing FM2015 with a game that started off in charge of the mighty Belper, didn't even see out the first season with them though. Spent a few years bumming along with Scarborough but never managed to get into the football league so eventually jumped ship to a struggling Bolton who were dead bottom of League 2, didn't realise they were in administration and everyone got sold from under me so I didn't manage to keep them up.

Eventually I found a home at Plymouth in League 2, never looked back and now we've spent the last couple of years in tasty PL title battles with City and Everton.

I usually have the same tight wage control, climbed most of the way up signing neglected youth players from bigger teams and developing them but it's a struggle to keep that going at the top, anyone that's released isn't good enough to make an impact and anyone good enough costs a fortune to snare so I've had to just start looking further afield in the hope of getting some bargains. Spent a relative shitload the last 2 summers which made me feel a bit bad, £20m+ on a keeper last year! But I've restrained myself from going full money bags, usually prefer to spend more on promising younger players than massive fees on established stars.

That's the way I always go too to be fair, scout Brazil, Argentina, most of Europe and the Championship and lower leagues for 15-17 year olds. Snap them up then watch them blossom. FM13 was probably my best save ever for churning out wonderkids, I'd signed players like Coutinho, Bony (yes he was decent on FM then) and the like on frees but when the kids came through I sold them all off for massive fees and the club was rolling in it.

Can't beat bringing the youth players through.

I've never been one for 20+ season small club challenges tbh, never done a season with Wolves either. I prefer to take on clubs that have fallen from grace or just play in tiny leagues but still have a massive following and get them back to the top. I've won the Europa League with Partizan, Rosenborg, Grasshoppers and Zeljeznicar and the Champions League with Parma and Lokomotiv Moscow.

That's the way I always go too to be fair, scout Brazil, Argentina, most of Europe and the Championship and lower leagues for 15-17 year olds. Snap them up then watch them blossom. FM13 was probably my best save ever for churning out wonderkids, I'd signed players like Coutinho, Bony (yes he was decent on FM then) and the like on frees but when the kids came through I sold them all off for massive fees and the club was rolling in it.

Can't beat bringing the youth players through.

I've picked up some ridiculous bargains on this save to be fair.

Had a Portuguese winger that I'd paid about £35k for from Porto and never paid him over £10k a week, just wanted someone to provide a bit of backup and grow into something better if I'm lucky, ended up being my first choice for a couple of seasons and I've just flogged him for £17m. Had a Bosnian fullback for similar money from Eastern European league a while back too and he ended up being my first choice until I'd qualified for Europe.

All change now though, felt a bit dirty when I was bidding around £40m for an 18 year old centre half from PSG this summer, cunty balls signed a new deal with them instead though.

Doing somewhat better than Zenga at the moment, top of the league and undefeated in the league. My one issue is that the game 'stalls' when there's goalmouth action (I only have comms, no need for wanky replays) and the goal is always reported in the 'live action' panel before the goal goes in during the game. Annoying but not fatal.

Using a 4-2-3-1 formation with the usual suspects; also managed to flog Doherty, Edwards, Saville, Coady and Gladon for a total of £4m, brought in one free transfer (Fede Vico) and one bargain basement backup central defender in the form of Roland Juhasz - old but still handy when Iorfa has to move out to RB. Go me!

Doing a lot better than me, I'm 18th after 6 games or so.

I've picked up some ridiculous bargains on this save to be fair.

Had a Portuguese winger that I'd paid about £35k for from Porto and never paid him over £10k a week, just wanted someone to provide a bit of backup and grow into something better if I'm lucky, ended up being my first choice for a couple of seasons and I've just flogged him for £17m. Had a Bosnian fullback for similar money from Eastern European league a while back too and he ended up being my first choice until I'd qualified for Europe.

All change now though, felt a bit dirty when I was bidding around £40m for an 18 year old centre half from PSG this summer, cunty balls signed a new deal with them instead though.

Never had any joy out of Eastern Europe so gave up on it. I'll have to start scouting it again and see if anything's changed.

I've just dug out my old copy of FM2006. Good times, even if we are full of Hoddle-era 90 year old attacking midfield players.

2006 probably still is my favourite version. Some fucking unreal Brazilian wonkerkids and Mascio. Played thousands of hours on that version.

Never had any joy out of Eastern Europe so gave up on it. I'll have to start scouting it again and see if anything's changed.
I can usually find a few decent players out there to be fair.

I can remember buying a couple of Bulgarian strikers from Litex Lovech on an old game once when I was playing as Crewe. Think they ended up propelling me towards European qualification.

I've just had a bit of a nightmare thanks to windows fucking 10 and it's obsession with onedrive. Constantly trying to upload all my stuff and telling me it's full even though I didn't want it. Got pissed off and deleted loads of stuff that turns out is now gone from my computer including my save game.

Only about 7 hours worth and I wasn't doing well but still fucking annoying

IIRC I think his name is spelled Cjunti Balsz.

Promoted with 100 points, GD of +49, changing from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3 wide with a DM around January. Rewarded with a transfer budget of £9.75m. Yay. Saiss and Silvio were yellow card machines, both collecting over 15 bookings each. Managed to augment rather than wholesale rebuild the team with a curiously injury-free Andy Carroll for £2.5m, Barreca at LB to replace the departing CBJ (United wanted £40.5m initially, then reduced it to ~£11m and rising. How nice), and managed to re-sign Costa on a permanent deal for £2.5m after Benfica initially wanted £8.5m plus add-ons. Bizarrely sold Lonergan to Arsenal for £10k, and Mason to Rotherham for £250k.

I think I'm just not very good at this game. Having had to restart I'm doing a bit better than before, mid table after 8 games. Started with 3 0-0 draws (just call me Kenny Jackett) but I can't work out why they play well when they do or why they play badly other times. I also seem to have 6/7 players injured at all times.

Is this years worth the buy then?

It's £26.99 on CD keys atm which is tempting

Back