• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Football Manager

You must look at training, I cannot stress this enough. There are schedules you can download but that's cheating really. I generally have defenders, midfielders and strikers attached to separate coaches, emphasising the specific skills required, with the workload set just a notch below "high".

I should be doing much better then! I haven't brought in any decent coaches, as no one will come yet.

Just remembered having my own training set up on an old Football manager, possibly even Championship manager, think i had seperate schedules for Keepers, Defenders, Midfielders, Strikers and Youth. Might have to have a go at creating something similar next time i play it, not sure which coaches i'd allocate to midfield though as there are specific attributes for defensive and offensive training but nothing that seems to stand out for midfielders.

I've got individual training schedules for most of my players, it probably wasn't worth the effort.

Yup, mainly because the majority of the squad are young, so I need to train them in specific areas. Once they reach 27/28 I'll just put them on general full back/wingers etc regimes.

I used to just have a generic youth program for anyone upto about 21 that focussed on technique and mental training, guess with the newer games you could do a lot of the specifics through individual training through the conversations. Haven't even looked at the training on this game though so i'll have to see what i can muster up.

Not sure it's such a big deal in the lower leagues. I've got a batch of potentially top notch youngsters who I want to bring through so I'm paying them close attention and getting them tutored by my top players.

Once they've reached their potential they just go on to a normal schedule.

Well i've got a few players that are supposed to have the potential to be good championship players in years to come so i could save myself some time, effort and money developing those players as i rise through the leagues rather than finding replacements. Would also do my player loyalty stats a favour too.

I have Defensive tactics Offensive tactics, skills and shooting as my load-in ones and then switch players between them as necessary. As with DW, I make sure the workload is a notch under 'heavy' but full of tutorial goodness nonetheless.

Starting a game with Napoli, and going to try and stick to their 3 at the back as I've never played that way on FM.

I had childish flashback last night and started a new game with a slight edit, just for my own entertainment.

I put West Brom in £800,000,000 of debt with a 50% interest rate
Set their ticket prices at £50 and season tickets at £2500
I also released all their players except Dean Kiely and gave him a deal until 2016 worth £200,000 per week

Their record so far

P 17. W 0. D 0 L 17. F 0 A 78

I'll go back to my normal games when I have finished pretending to be 12 years old again.

:icon_lol:

Blackpool aren't doing much better than that in my current game even without the sabotage! 7 points after about 25 games, and they've conceded 60ish.

(we just tonked Birmingham 4-0 at their place, Karl getting two of 'em(!) Satisfying. Would settle for that in a couple o' weeks too, ta)

Swansea went down with 8 points in my last season. Good effort.

Starting a game with Napoli, and going to try and stick to their 3 at the back as I've never played that way on FM.

I used a back 3 for a couple of years of Championship manager games. Used to play a 3-1-4-2 but since they stopped allowing you to mark out 'player runs' with the arrows on the tactics board it was hard to make it work properly so i changed my ways. My most successful formation lately was playing 4-1-2-1-2 with Wolves on last years FM, after 3-4 seasons i'd gathered some quality central midfielders so my assistant recommended playing that way, i never looked back.

Oh and i just had a look at making my own training schedules, pretty pointless at the moment as most of my squad are still part time even though the club turned professional at the start of this season. One really annoying thing i've noticed though is that you're unable to either edit or delete the default training regimes so i'll end up with a needlessly cluttered menu to choose from.

Last edited:
Ah, I used a classic 2-3-2-1-2 in the 99-00 CM. Goals galore.

Speaking of ridiculous formations, I managed to stuff the sight out of everyone in the original Championship Manager back in about 1993. I ended up witha pile of injuries at one time, and in order to keep round pegs in round holes, I played my best remaining 11 in what might politely be called "a bit of an attacking formation". I figured that I might just get stuffed, but that was probably going to happen anyway, and the 2-4-4 formation was born.

No-one could live with it, and I think I went unbeaten through about 6 game seasons, only drawing the odd goal and scoring several billion with such star forwards as Julian Joachim and best of all, Scott Partridge.

I just had a game against Colin Lee's Luton side, they were 12th in League 2 with myself and AFC Telford 14th, Lee made a comment pre match that my squad wasn't good enough and we'd be going down. I went on to win that game 4-1, we moved above Luton in the league and Lee was sacked afterward, lovely stuff.

Rule of the CM I played: Sign Carlos Martins, Helder Postiga, David Fox and Garbh Gallagher on frees and off you trot. Hugo Viana wa a bit hit-and-miss and there was always one other Portuguese kid who would be awful for six seasons and then his stats would skyrocket and he's average at least 7.

I managed an 11th place finish in my first season with 50 points. Not too bad. I think I spent just over £11m and got back £5m. In January I managed to get Giggs and Walcott on loan, and signed Kyrgiakos from Liverpool quite cheaply. I also managed to pick up Klose, Scholes, Seedorf and a Brazilian called Adrian (whose value shot up to £7.5m immediately!) up on frees near the end of the season.

I've promised the board European Qualification this season to increase my wage budget! They still only gave me £2.5m transfer budget though the stingy fuckers. Luckily you can adjust the wage budget to give you some more to play with. I've already signed N'Zogbia after Wigan got relegated.

I really need to get rid of some of the original players I started the game with though. Selling always seems to be harder than buying, even if you slash their price and offer them around. Any tips? (other than adding manager and buying them yourself)

Who you looking to sell? I had no problems shifting Keogh, Jones, Edwards, Elokobi, Hoff at the end of the first season.

Back