• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

I know of a lot of companies in the UK who can't get local kids and school leavers to even apply for prospective employment.

Indeed.

In the office block where we are based there are numerous Government funded "Back to Work" companies who deal with folk who have been on long term Job Seekers Allowance. The Pad went down for a ciggy the other day and a group of them were down there with one of the staff. Conversation he over heard was them being told that Land Rover are after all manner of people for the new factory in Wolves, response "they couldn't do that, too far to travel from Walsall" If you can't be arsed to travel 5-7 miles for work, then there is no hope.

From that link

A spokesman for Next said the firm had been forced to look abroad for workers, not to save money, but because it had been unable to recruit temporary workers in Britain. "Mr Bryant also makes the false claim that the use of Polish workers enables Next to avoid agency working regulations. For clarity, the nationality of workers in no way affects their rights under agency workers regulations,

So Next had to look elsewhere as they couldn't get "local" workers willing to do the job

and Tesco got 350 local staff

Tesco said it had recruited 350 local people to work in its distribution centre in Dagenham, not in Kent as originally alleged by Bryant. A spokesman said: "It is wrong to accuse Tesco of this. We work incredibly hard to recruit from the local area, and have just recruited 350 local people to work in our Dagenham site."

Hardly a convincing article. Accusations and counter arguments.

If people generalised about foreign workers like they do about British workers , there would be a good case for being accused of being a racist.

Whats to generalise?

They are some British people that would rather not work and will do whatever they can to avoid it.
They are also some foreign workers who will do the same

That said, if a company advertises for jobs and they only get people who have come over from Poland or wherever, are they meant to say "Sorry, we only employ Brits" and watch their business suffer as they have insufficient staff?

We currently have a fellow on a temp contract with us and he puts to shame a lot of folk on benefits. He hadn't had a job since 1995. His CV is rammed full of various training courses he has done in the years between then and now. He initially came to us on a 8 week "work experience" and worked his row out, earned a deal until Xmas and we managed to extend by a couple a months. He is a "local" lad by the way. Just wanted to put that, so you don't think as a small business we are looking to slag off local workers and would rather look to go down the cheap route with a foreign worker. You can only employ what is put in front of you.

Whats to generalise?

They are some British people that would rather not work and will do whatever they can to avoid it.
They are also some foreign workers who will do the same

That said, if a company advertises for jobs and they only get people who have come over from Poland or wherever, are they meant to say "Sorry, we only employ Brits" and watch their business suffer as they have insufficient staff?

We currently have a fellow on a temp contract with us and he puts to shame a lot of folk on benefits. He hadn't had a job since 1995. His CV is rammed full of various training courses he has done in the years between then and now. He initially came to us on a 8 week "work experience" and worked his row out, earned a deal until Xmas and we managed to extend by a couple a months. He is a "local" lad by the way. Just wanted to put that, so you don't think as a small business we are looking to slag off local workers and would rather look to go down the cheap route with a foreign worker. You can only employ what is put in front of you.

The point is , they are not advertising for the jobs in the UK.
They are often employing them directly from abroad.

I think this was covered on another thread and the jobs were advertised in the UK. I think its something to do with being in the EU that jobs advertised on the Jobcentre Website have to be listed on some Euro Site as well

All positions advertised in UK Jobcentres have to be listed on the EURES website according to an EU scheme, the newspaper added.

After the UK, which lists 814,359 jobs on the website, the country with the second highest number of vacancies is Germany with 267,534 - around 20% of the overall number.

Got any links for that please

From I can see, companies have advertised in this country and in Europe. So if they advertise in Europe, there is a chance that they could employ one of those foreign types (and at the same time, someone in the UK can apply for a job in a country within the EU easily). I can't see nothing to do with companies only advertising in mainland Europe.

I'm fully aware who or what you were referring to. It maybe a different topic, but it's still generalising. I personally haven't seen evidence of any widespread recruitment exclusively for non UK based employees. Hopefully you will be able to provide such evidence.

I know the headquarters for Sainsbury's have employment agencies in Poland and recruit directly from there , for their main distribution centers.

Saturday boy.I don't need to find a link.You did it for me.Read the comments at the bottom of the article.

Comments? Isn't that a bit like using the E&S comments to gage how Wolves fans are feeling?

I know the headquarters for Sainsbury's have employment agencies in Poland and recruit directly from there , for their main distribution centers.

Have you any evidence that the jobs they offer are exclusive to Polish nationals?

Back