• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

There are tons to choose from, but he promised pre-election that he wouldn't cut the winter fuel allowance, and he has.

I see what you mean - so potentially a vote for UKIP in the general election is a wasted vote where it would cause labour or the lib dems to get the seat, but not a wasted vote in the euro elections where they can gain seats - and I disagree with the statement that we're not coming out of the EU any time soon, as I think its a possibility.

Support for Emembership of the EU has been declining for a number of years, there is support from across the political spectrum for withdrawal but there are so many vested interests in our continued membership that I don't believe any of the three main political parties have any intention to withdraw. Any referendum is very unlikely to be binding on the government. Unless the Tory party lurches suddenly to the right then I don't think they would consider withdrawal and neither Labour or Lib Dems have it as an aspiration.

In the period post 1997 the Tories had the opportunity to adt Euro scepticism as one of their main policies and whole they flirt with it they never commit.

As a long standing supporter of EU withdrawal I have seen nothing that suggests it is any closer now than it ever has been.

Just out of interest TSB why do you want to withdraw from the EU?

I'm curious as to why people in general want to withdraw from the EU. I'm not convinced by any of UKIP's reasons for withdrawal either as I don't see how it benefits the UK. Can somebody put some meat on the bones of an argument (no daily mail articles please).

Mainly because I believe in local determination and I think the EU has gone too far the other way. I wouldn't be against being in a different relationship, just not the current one. However because of the extent to which the EU has grown I don't believe it can be reinvented from within.

Unfortunately that would require all member states to feel the same way and that isn't going to happen. Unilateral withdrawal is not without consequences which is why I don't see it happening any time soon.

Mainly because I believe in local determination and I think the EU has gone too far the other way. I wouldn't be against being in a different relationship, just not the current one. However because of the extent to which the EU has grown I don't believe it can be reinvented from within.

Unfortunately that would require all member states to feel the same way and that isn't going to happen. Unilateral withdrawal is not without consequences which is why I don't see it happening any time soon.

Much as its uncomfortable to say :surrender: - I agree with TSB there. I don't feel the one size fits all approach works given the massive diversity in cultures and economies that exists within its states, and I feel it largely produces negatives for us in particular, and few benefits. I also resent the lack of accountability the ruling executive have, and the growing lack of ability to rule our own democratically elected government have.

Fair play gents. I can see both your points, I too would like to see a lighter touch from the EU.

Is the average man in the street better off , since we joined the EU and is our standard of living better ?

Are we safer to walk the streets and is there less crime?

Is our health service better ?

Are our pensioners looked after better ?

Is the average man in the street better off , since we joined the EU and is our standard of living better ?

Are we safer to walk the streets and is there less crime?

Is our health service better ?

Are our pensioners looked after better ?

Yes and yes.
Depends on the measure you use.
Yes.
Yes.

None of which are particularly relevant to our membership of the EU.

Yes and yes.
Depends on the measure you use.
Yes.
Yes.

None of which are particularly relevant to our membership of the EU.

How is the average man in the street , better off ?

When I`m in england I stay in the south .Many of my mates wages have gone down 50% . The cost of living has rocketed. They work more hours and see their families less.That doesn't sound like ,the standard of living has improved.

Less crime ? You think it's safer to walk the streets than 30 years ago ?

Our old people are looked after better ? Sorry , I don't agree with that .

How is the average man in the street , better off ?

When I`m in england I stay in the south .Many of my mates wages have gone down 50% . The cost of living has rocketed. They work more hours and see their families less.That doesn't sound like ,the standard of living has improved.

Less crime ? You think it's safer to walk the streets than 30 years ago ?

Our old people are looked after better ? Sorry , I don't agree with that .

Sorry, I forgot we didn't have crime, terrorism, poverty, unemployment etc in the 1970s. Not sure that health care for the elderly was better either.

As for economic well being

http://www.theguardian.com/worklifeuk/cost-of-living-1971-today

The drop in living standards you are referring to are relatively recent and none of the examples quoted can be attributed to membership of the EU.

If the premise of you whole argument is blame the foreigners - vote UKIP.

Not at all. What a bizarre example

I hope the person is ok..........

Yes they were thanks.

The point, which I'm sure you get, is just because YOU see it 'every day' doesn't mean it's true UK wide.

Absolutely.

However, having worked around the country in my jobs, and having spoken with colleagues from around the country, I can get a pretty decent idea that it does.

And I'm glad they're ok.

Sorry, I forgot we didn't have crime, terrorism, poverty, unemployment etc in the 1970s. Not sure that health care for the elderly was better either.

As for economic well being

http://www.theguardian.com/worklifeuk/cost-of-living-1971-today

The drop in living standards you are referring to are relatively recent and none of the examples quoted can be attributed to membership of the EU.

If the premise of you whole argument is blame the foreigners - vote UKIP.

Blame the foreigners ? why? They are doing what anyone would do , feeding their kids. I respect that.

Who I do blame are the people , who are allowing British companies , who are directly employing workers from eastern block countries and not giving a chance to local kids and school leavers.

Our drop in living standards is directly related , to the expansion of the EU.

Blame the foreigners ? why? They are doing what anyone would do , feeding their kids. I respect that.

Who I do blame are the people , who are allowing British companies , who are directly employing workers from eastern block countries and not giving a chance to local kids and school leavers.

I know of a lot of companies in the UK who can't get local kids and school leavers to even apply for prospective employment.

Any evidence to back up that last assertion?

British companies are allowing themselves to hire workers, nobody holds a gun to their head.

Back