• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

You might not want to vote for them but you have done a phenomenal job of swallowing a lot of their nonsense.

Here's an example

Rowenna Davis, a Labour candidate in the marginal seat of Southampton, said at the same meeting that doors would be shut in her face if she put some of the arguments advanced by the front bench.

She said Southampton had a tradition of being open to immigrants but added: “People talk about strong borders – there are no borders for eastern Europe any more. In Southampton our population increased by 9 % in six years. Our investment in schools, housing and doctors did not increase by 9 % in six years. It stayed level. When you have more people in the area, and the resources stay the same, it puts on pressure.

“Similarly wages in the construction industry declined from £130 a day to £60 a day. It may be of benefit overall to UK plc but for working-class people in Southampton very often the supply of labour increased and their wages went down. That is basic law of economics.”

She told the shadow immigration minister David Hanson she appreciated the hard task he faced but “if I gave the answers you have given on the doorstep that door is going to get shut in my face.

“These people are not racist. They have traditionally been Labour for generations, they very much have friends and family members that are migrants, but they feel let down and they feel abandoned.”

Urging the party to offer something more, she said: “I don’t see how we can plan public services for migrants or British citizens without knowing how many are coming into our country next year

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...5-election-strategy-ukip-immigration#comments

I'd like to know what you mean by 'buckling under the pressure of immigration'. I assume you have figures comparing today's performance to that of yesteryear, along with service user profiles to go with it.

Visit Boston and then you will see the problem first hand.

I have a cousin who's lived there for years. There were always more foreigners in the town than most places and everyone got on well. There'd been a large Portuguese community there for some time before the Eastern Europeans started moving over, initially to work on the miles and miles of cabbage fields. Slowly they started to come in their thousands and today the town and its facilities are at breaking point. The quiet market town I remember visiting a few times as a kid is long gone now.

Because it is malicious falsehood that has been routinely disproved, wrapped in a veneer of unpleasant soundbite in order to appeal to an element of the electorate

Or maybe - the privelaged sneer at the worries of those in a different situation? That element of the electorate seems to be quite a decent sized proportion these days.

UKIP claim the answer to pressure on services is to leave the EU - we could then kick out EU migrants and stop new ones arriving.

The problem with that line of reasoning is that we've got just under 2m Brits living and working in Europe who would lose their right to live and work in those countries. And many of them are pensioners.

So we'd be booting out the working age migrants, who pay taxes, use very little healthcare, and tend to actually claim less benefits than natives, and we'd replace them with a huge chunk of elderly people, who pay very few taxes, and use a huge amount of healthcare. Britain would be worse off.

Now, maybe people think thats OK, and a price worth paying. But to pretend otherwise is disingenuous at best.

Farage's latest wheeze (apart from proposing to literally treat would-be immigrants who have HIV like 18th century lepers) is to copy Australia's immigration policy. Ignoring shameless plagiarism for a second, let's just see how that's going.

According to Credit Suisse, Australia is the wealthiest country in the world. It has enjoyed a stellar run of 23 consecutive years of economic growth. It ducked the great recession thanks to a textbook Keynesian stimulus response combined with the momentum of an unprecedented mining boom.

Yet to live in the frequently irate bubble that is contemporary Australia is to be subjected to persistent and shrill cries of “crisis” or “catastrophe” over productivity, red tape, security, debt and deficit, emergency low interest rates, sovereign risk and border protection.

Take the latter, formerly known as immigration policy. For the last 15 years, Australia has struggled with a modest proportion of the world’s 54m asylum seekers arriving on its shores by boat. To punish the new arrivals and deter others fleeing from Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Iraq and Syria, government policy has sought to replicate the misery that prompted them to flee their home countries. A multitude of measures have been tested along the way. Of them all, two have endured: outsourcing and human rights abuses.

Money has not been an impediment. Australia has bought off neighbouring Pacific island states, including Nauru and Papua New Guinea, to induce them to incarcerate refugees – men, women and children – until some of them end up physically and mentally broken. Many self-harm. Some die. Others have been sent home to be tortured or even killed. One asylum seeker detained on PNG’s Manus Island recently died from complications arising from a cut on his foot.

Last week, Australia forged a new deal with impoverished, corruption-ridden Cambodia under which five refugees whose will have been broken on Nauru will “voluntarily” be resettled there. Officials from both countries celebrated with champagne at a ceremony in Phnomh Penh. There were no speeches, and journalists were not permitted to ask questions.

Immigration policy in Australia also proves once and for all that religion can be invoked by its adherents to rationalise almost anything. While former PM Kevin Rudd briefly flirted with the “biblical injunction to welcome strangers”, his conservative nemesis and current prime minister Tony Abbott asked: “What would Jesus do?” The answer was obvious, at least to him: “Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia”.

Hmmm. That doesn't seem like something to be terribly proud of to me.

The thing that I fail to understand is that in this country if one dares to question immigration, then they are denounced as being racist.

How is Farage proposing we determine someone's HIV status?

Did the back of his fag packet not have enough room for that bit?

Fair enough, but I feel that immigration is out of control, and has been for some time. Successive governments have done little about it. In parts of Lincolnshire, there are communities that are overwhelmingly Eastern European. And despite some peoples views, they do not all work. Many have come over to take advantage of our benefit system, and of course our NHS. Many more are not skilled workers, but come over and work in the fields all hours god sends for a pittance.

Whether one supports UKIP or not, it is clear that many people share their view on immigration. A friend of mine openly admitted the other day that he would be voting UKIP at the next election, and he was instantly denounced as being racist.

Interesting that of all the communicable diseases in the world, he singles out that one. Why would that be?

I'm confused. Do we not like immigrants because they are taking all our jobs, or because they are all taking advantage of the welfare state?

Frank, do you know what percentage of welfare state expenditure is spent on immigrants?

I'm confused. Do we not like immigrants because they are taking all our jobs, or because they are all taking advantage of the welfare state?

Frank, do you know what percentage of welfare state expenditure is spent on immigrants?

We have to accept the consequence of our actions, if we displace many millions through bombing their countries. We shouldn't complain if many of those people come knocking on our door.

I suppose the percentage of welfare cost is far higher in Leicester than it is in Westminster. Is there enough thought given to how to equally fit Immigrants into the whole of society and all its Cities.

Back