• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

In my opinion, it gives you an idea of what sort of percentage of people voted leave purely based on closing the borders.

Is that a polite way of saying 'racists'?

No I think quite the opposite. Surely if the vote was based on taking back control ukip would have won? This area voted to leave and has now retained their labour mp with a 2% swing to the right. Still not enough to unseat. Am I missing something?

The resounding sound of apathy from 62% not voting is what I hear loudest.

There's literally no point in voting UKIP if you want to 'take back control'. May and the Tories have adopted all their policies wholesale.

No I think quite the opposite. Surely if the vote was based on taking back control ukip would have won? This area voted to leave and has now retained their labour mp with a 2% swing to the right. Still not enough to unseat. Am I missing something?

The resounding sound of apathy from 62% not voting is what I hear loudest.

No, you're not, that's what I'm saying. The percentage that voted for UKIP are the ones that voted leave based on immigration, those that voted leave, but either voted for Labour or didn't vote probably didn't vote leave purely based on immigration. Which sort of suggests that all leavers haven't voted just because they want the borders closing.

There's literally no point in voting UKIP if you want to 'take back control'. May and the Tories have adopted all their policies wholesale.
Now the referendum has voted leave I believe your sentence requires a full stop after the section in bold.Whilst many people hated him Farage had far more appeal and charisma than Nuttall.

Excuse my sense of humour! UKIP has done what it set out to do. What happens next is not going to be the uprising to UKIP that some may think or fear. Most of UKIP voters, me included , voted on the back of brexit and because some of their policies fitted us more that other parties. Now, as I have said before, we are looking for a mainstream alternative. We have our wish/ We are leaving the EU. We want a mainstream party to scoop up the 4 million votes and use them to make a better UK please. ........ waiting.......still waiting.........this may take some time methinks ......Labour have completely and utterly missed a trick here......The door was ajar and just needed a little push but they gave us...... Corbyn x 2. The best gatekeeper and biggest political joke since the black knight in the holy Grail. I just cant see me or other likeminded people voting Labour with him as leader. He is too far left of where we can possibly be.

Snowflake Nige:

Ukip’s only MP, Douglas Carswell, must be thrown out of the party immediately because he is actively trying to damage it, Nigel Farage has said.

The party’s former leader stepped up his attacks on Carswell as a row intensified over claims about the Clacton MP’s role in blocking an honour for Farage.

Leaked emails show Carswell joked that Farage should be given an OBE “for services to headline writers”.

Farage insisted the exchanges reveal his Ukip colleague is “consumed with jealousy and a desire to hurt me” and called on the current leader, Paul Nuttall, to expel him.

Carswell, however, said the emails showed “quite clearly I tried my best to make sure he got an honour that reflects his contribution”. He told the Press Association: “If he wants to come and talk to the Ukip parliamentary party about it, we are happy to put it on the agenda for Monday’s meeting.

“I’m delighted where I am. I’m trying to double the size of the Ukip parliamentary party at the moment. Unfortunately we didn’t manage to do that in Stoke. But if he wants to come and talk to the Ukip parliamentary party about any concerns he has, very happy to respond. It won’t take long, it’s just me.

The former Ukip leader Malcolm Pearson attempted to organise a peerage for Farage but lobbied instead for a knighthood when it became apparent he would have had to quit as an MEP. After the bid was rejected he asked Carswell to approach the chief whip, Gavin Williamson, to appeal against the decision.

On 31 December, Carswell wrote in an email to the peer: “As promised, I did speak to the government chief whip. Perhaps we might try angling to get Nigel an OBE next time round? For services to headline writers? An MBE, maybe? Let’s discuss …”

Farage enthusiastically unveiled Carswell as a Tory defector to the party in 2014 but soon after became increasingly critical of the MP. Writing in the Daily Telegraph on Monday, Farage said: “As a party, how can we let a man represent us in the House of Commons who actively and transparently seeks to damage us?

“I think there is little future for Ukip with him staying inside this party. The time for him to go is now.”

I did like the bolded line :icon_lol:

9gxi9dK.gif

I just cant see me or other likeminded people voting Labour with him as leader. He is too far left of where we can possibly be.

Which of his polices are far left and meet your disapproval?

I'm quite certain there is a media campaign against him that has no real grounding given he has been overwhelmingly elected as leader by labour supporters. He represents traditional Labour values. New Labour doesn't actually appear different to New Conservative. Left wing and alternatively right wing politics are now labelled as extreme, there is almost a stigma about them. The middle ground haven't actually done that much for wealth inequality and both seem to promote labels and in the process reinforce division.

hardly a far left policy - Nick Clegg, that bastion of the workers revolutionary party

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/jul/18/trident-nuclear-deterrent-nick-clegg

Yes but its deeper than that. Re nationalised railways? Just when they have a huge infrastructure upgrade requirement. Rent controls to be reintroduced, that's not going to help the housing shortage, no real strategy on immigration, negotiated settlement for the Falkland's, close talks with Hamass, committed republican, wants a united Ireland, as I said too much too soon and too idealistic

So under Corbyn we lose our deterrent, don't place controls on immigration, lose northern Ireland completely, payout to improve ailing railways, that can only mean higher taxes and higher inflation. Yeah great choice!

Yes but its deeper than that. Re nationalised railways? Just when they have a huge infrastructure upgrade requirement. Rent controls to be reintroduced, that's not going to help the housing shortage, no real strategy on immigration, negotiated settlement for the Falkland's, close talks with Hamass, committed republican, wants a united Ireland, as I said too much too soon and too idealistic

So under Corbyn we lose our deterrent, don't place controls on immigration, lose northern Ireland completely, payout to improve ailing railways, that can only mean higher taxes and higher inflation. Yeah great choice!

Nothing particularly left wing about renationalised railways either - it was mainstream political opinion until the 1980s. Polling suggests that over half of those polled support it and the re-nationalisation of other public utilities. We already subsidise the railways but don't reap the profits. Those are taxpayer subsidies.

Many people don't believe that nuclear weapons are a deterrent anymore, it isn't the preserve of the left wing (Nick Clegg is not left wing) And the following is from a Tory MP, Crispin Blunt;

Britain’s independent possession of nuclear weapons has been turned into a political touch-stone for commitment to national defence. But this is an illusion. The truth is that this is a political weapon, effectively aimed against the Labour Party, whose justification rests on the defence economics, the politics, and the strategic situation of over three decades ago. However, it is of less relevant to the defence of the United Kingdom today and certainly surplus to the needs of NATO. It certainly doesn’t pass any rational cost effectiveness test.

"No real strategy on immigration" isn't a left wing policy, it is an absence of a policy.

The UK has negotiated settlements for many countries and colonies and dependents that have seen them leave our direct control, but that isn't actually what he is proposing for the Falklands - he has suggested ways in which a long standing dead lock between two nation states may be ended. Similarly, that left wing firebrand Margaret Thatcher was involved in secret talks with the IRA throughout the 1980s with the support of Dublin to find a negotiated settlement. That settlement has seen power sharing in Northern Ireland and the Republic drop its constitutional claim on Northern Ireland.

A succession of international world leaders have held talks with Hamas and other Palestinian groups.

I would agree that rent controls provide clear water between left and right wing ideology but that is mainly due to the comparison with 20th Century rent controls in this country but there have been successful rent controls in US cities, Switzerland and other places.

Nothing particularly left wing about renationalised railways either - it was mainstream political opinion until the 1980s. Polling suggests that over half of those polled support it and the re-nationalisation of other public utilities. We already subsidise the railways but don't reap the profits. Those are taxpayer subsidies.

Many people don't believe that nuclear weapons are a deterrent anymore, it isn't the preserve of the left wing (Nick Clegg is not left wing) And the following is from a Tory MP, Crispin Blunt;

"No real strategy on immigration" isn't a left wing policy, it is an absence of a policy.

The UK has negotiated settlements for many countries and colonies and dependents that have seen them leave our direct control, but that isn't actually what he is proposing for the Falklands - he has suggested ways in which a long standing dead lock between two nation states may be ended. Similarly, that left wing firebrand Margaret Thatcher was involved in secret talks with the IRA throughout the 1980s with the support of Dublin to find a negotiated settlement. That settlement has seen power sharing in Northern Ireland and the Republic drop its constitutional claim on Northern Ireland.

A succession of international world leaders have held talks with Hamas and other Palestinian groups.

I would agree that rent controls provide clear water between left and right wing ideology but that is mainly due to the comparison with 20th Century rent controls in this country but there have been successful rent controls in US cities, Switzerland and other places.

Completely agree with you. Certain aspects of life should be entwined in the principle of the state and not subjected to market forces and profit. Healthcare and the infrastructure, such as utilities and transport instantly spring to mind. I don't essentially subscribe to the media's idea of who is and isn't an enemy so yes dialogue with all is an important feature. Corbyn and Labour (traditionally) are essentially far more for the people than the Corporates but much of it gets lost in translation and sadly I would trust the Cons with the economy far more than Labour. No party had an answer to controlling immigration, hence the rise of UKIP. It's all about how they redistribute wealth for me and communicate effective policy but a General Election should be held before the process of forming a new relationship with Europe and the World begins.

The message isn't being made strongly or persuasively enough, it should be easy to nail this dreadful Government every single day if you want to. There's so much to pick from. It's been over 18 months though and it isn't happening which suggests it never will.

Shame, but how long do you give it? It isn't working, the approval ratings are a disaster, no-one turns that kind of perception around.

We desperately need a serious Opposition, I'm sure even Tory voters would concede that. Handing a wannabe dictator like May absolute power is disastrous, it's unreal that she's getting away with what she is with such a paltry majority. A functioning Labour Party would have had her close to being drummed out of office by now such is her total lack of appeal and substance.

Back