• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

Is it style over substance? Or do you want another Tony Blair and purple politics?

As an alternative to May? Yes. Then if labour moved slowly left and shoiwed the social policies to be working then I would be fine.

As an alternative to May? Yes. Then if labour moved slowly left and shoiwed the social policies to be working then I would be fine.

I just don't see much of a difference between Blair and May. Corbyn is as different to Blair as Farage and the present idiot is to May. I really don't want any more of what hasn't really done much over the last twenty years or so. The alternatives from both perspective need exploring.

I just don't see much of a difference between Blair and May. Corbyn is as different to Blair as Farage and the present idiot is to May. I really don't want any more of what hasn't really done much over the last twenty years or so. The alternatives from both perspective need exploring.

I am with you on alternatives. Its how they translate into policies that I want. I am pro brexit. Yet I am also quite humanitarian and social oriented. I do however believe in the services, the union, the monarchy. I believe in higher taxes but I believe in greater efficiency in govt or public services. EU why are there 43 home office police forces. There should only be 9 or 10, that's 33 chief constables at 200 k you don't want or need and 33 crime commissioners at 75 k plus add one.reinvest that money in rank and file officers. Similar with the health service. Why can't police fire and ambulance share buildings and services? Where is the business case for hs2? Why are we not building pre fab houses to alieviate the housing issue? My list goes on

'Pre-fab' construction is expensive as fuck, that's probably why.

Completely agree with you. Certain aspects of life should be entwined in the principle of the state and not subjected to market forces and profit. Healthcare and the infrastructure, such as utilities and transport instantly spring to mind. I don't essentially subscribe to the media's idea of who is and isn't an enemy so yes dialogue with all is an important feature. Corbyn and Labour (traditionally) are essentially far more for the people than the Corporates but much of it gets lost in translation and sadly I would trust the Cons with the economy far more than Labour. No party had an answer to controlling immigration, hence the rise of UKIP. It's all about how they redistribute wealth for me and communicate effective policy but a General Election should be held before the process of forming a new relationship with Europe and the World begins.

lol. class!

lol. class!

Aw thanks x

Well they've raised the minimum wage and reduced the tax threshold so while they are doing a good job at getting those on low wages in line closer with 'middle England' what I'm referring to is relieving the 1% of some of their wealth. Something every party is clueless to address but then again you can't bite the hand that feeds you can you?

Is £80k expensive for a 3 bed prefab?
I'm not sure on the specifics but at our work we often price hotels/accommodation on pre-cast concrete or modular construction which are both considerably more expensive than more traditional methods. In our position and from a clients perspective it can be worth the extra cost to save time and guarantee standards as their will be a commercial benefit from that which I'm not sure would so forthcoming for social housing schemes.

A lot will depend on the scale of the developments, if they're building one design 500 times for one site it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than 100 houses spread across 5 designs and 5 different sites.

I'm not sure on the specifics but at our work we often price hotels/accommodation on pre-cast concrete or modular construction which are both considerably more expensive than more traditional methods. In our position and from a clients perspective it can be worth the extra cost to save time and guarantee standards as their will be a commercial benefit from that which I'm not sure would so forthcoming for social housing schemes.

A lot will depend on the scale of the developments, if they're building one design 500 times for one site it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than 100 houses spread across 5 designs and 5 different sites.

Thanks for the explanation Mark but I was asking a genuine question. My other half had a job, albeit short term, project managing for a pre-fab company and that was the price of the house (£110k for a 4 bed) and I was wondering if it was cheap or economically viable.

It depends on the house spec as well. If you want 'Huf Haus' then you are looking at top end stuff.

Thanks for the explanation Mark but I was asking a genuine question. My other half had a job, albeit short term, project managing for a pre-fab company and that was the price of the house (£110k for a 4 bed) and I was wondering if it was cheap or economically viable.
I never really got involved in anything price wise when I worked with house building so haven't got personal knowledge to fall back on in that regard. I did just find a piece of research from Sheffield Hallam University though that cited average build costs of £52k per plot from Barratts in 2015. I'd assume that based mainly on traditional brick/block construction with some sites probably using timber frame.

That figure is perhaps a bit distorted by developments including apartments making it low but even still £80k is quite a hike as an alternative. In some situations it's worth the extra cost for other benefits but I'm not sure they're really applicable for social housing.

I looked into lots of house types when I wanted to buy some land and build my own house. The cheapest for decent spec was 80mm Norwegian wood log cabin which was 50 k with all the fittings. Prefab concrete was more expensive about 60k then fully fitted Timber framed house more expensive to around 70k then. Or you could put mobile homes for 40 k . log cabins prefabs and mobiles were much harder to get finance for.

Its the land thats the cost. The thing with prefabs us they are really quick to erect about 10 to 20% of the time to build the equivalent house so you could have 100 prefabs built in the time it takes to build 10 to 20 houses conventionally. So if you were looking for quick cheap decent looking rental housing in short time prefab wins.

I caveat all this with the sentence as per my research and information. Not being a professional builder but what the people I spoke to said then made sense

I looked into lots of house types when I wanted to buy some land and build my own house. The cheapest for decent spec was 80mm Norwegian wood log cabin which was 50 k with all the fittings. Prefab concrete was more expensive about 60k then fully fitted Timber framed house more expensive to around 70k then. Or you could put mobile homes for 40 k . log cabins prefabs and mobiles were much harder to get finance for.

Its the land thats the cost. The thing with prefabs us they are really quick to erect about 10 to 20% of the time to build the equivalent house so you could have 100 prefabs built in the time it takes to build 10 to 20 houses conventionally. So if you were looking for quick cheap decent looking rental housing in short time prefab wins.

I caveat all this with the sentence as per my research and information. Not being a professional builder but what the people I spoke to said then made sense
It's quicker on site but not always quicker over the whole project.

You could probably get enough bricks/blocks to build a house delivered to site today without too much bother but you've got months and months of manufacture time for something modular construction units. In addition you've got to get your design developed to a much more advanced stage much earlier than if building traditionally to allow for that lead in so there are much higher up front costs.

There's not a great deal of price difference between SIPs or brick/block. Both are somewhere between £900 - £1200 m2 to construct.

It's quicker on site but not always quicker over the whole project.

You could probably get enough bricks/blocks to build a house delivered to site today without too much bother but you've got months and months of manufacture time for something modular construction units. In addition you've got to get your design developed to a much more advanced stage much earlier than if building traditionally to allow for that lead in so there are much higher up front costs.

I would agree but there are off the shelf designs available so I would go wityh a standard 2 and 3 bed template. I am not saying its the complete answer but anything is better than no house

There are 'off the shelf' designs for traditional build. Developers have been using them for years.

There's not a great deal of price difference between SIPs or brick/block. Both are somewhere between £900 - £1200 m2 to construct.
We've not had a very good experience with SIPs, goes up quickly enough but the quality is lacking.
I would agree but there are off the shelf designs available so I would go wityh a standard 2 and 3 bed template. I am not saying its the complete answer but anything is better than no house
Their might be default design but manufacture still takes time and companies don't just have stockpiles of these big, bespoke components lying round in a yard waiting for an order, everything is made to order so you have to wait for it.

Back