• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

We've not had a very good experience with SIPs, goes up quickly enough but the quality is lacking.

Their might be default design but manufacture still takes time and companies don't just have stockpiles of these big, bespoke components lying round in a yard waiting for an order, everything is made to order so you have to wait for it.

http://www.livescience.com/58156-3d-printed-house-built-in-less-than-a-day.html

Saw this on social media. 10k! Cheap and solid and stylish. We have to look into this.

Nice headline but I think it could be a bit misleading.

Be interesting to find out what the cost of a 3D printer big enough to do that sort of work would cost, probably need to chuck out a lot of those 'houses' before it's paid itself off.

I don't think so Mark, you can pick up a bog standard 3D printer for less than £200. A decent printer that can print working car parts for about £1000, tools for plastic injection moulding from steel/ ceramic for about £3k, large format printers for anywhere up to £50k so something like that would probably be the best part of £250k I would imagine.

Considering filament materials can be a wide range of prices you never know if that could rapidly reduce costs, produce structurally stronger, less error prone buildings that are vastly different in architectural design.

It's an area I think we will all be embracing over the next few decades as we become more automated.

I don't think so Mark, you can pick up a bog standard 3D printer for less than £200. A decent printer that can print working car parts for about £1000, tools for plastic injection moulding from steel/ ceramic for about £3k, large format printers for anywhere up to £50k so something like that would probably be the best part of £250k I would imagine.

Considering filament materials can be a wide range of prices you never know if that could rapidly reduce costs, produce structurally stronger, less error prone buildings that are vastly different in architectural design.

It's an area I think we will all be embracing over the next few decades as we become more automated.

£250k isn't as bad as I'd imagined in fairness.

If you based it around the figures I used previously of £52k for a traditional build, say double the £10k for that Russian bungalow to get a 2 storey house at £20k if you're using the big 3D printer and you've paid it off in 8 houses, maybe need a couple more to pay for some training off staff or whatever but it's a pretty quick return when you've got companies capable of churning out some big developments.

Could be a useful altenative for smaller projects like housing, imagine it could get a bit tricky if you're building something bigger and relying on several of these machines to construct different parts of it simultaneously with it all coming together as it progresses. I'd be interested to see it done, see what requirements they'd need on site for it to be achievable, what sort of conditions they can work in, working space that's required, etc. We used to have an estimator at my old work who was always dead keen on pushing new products when he was pricing jobs but he never gave any consideration to how it was actually going to pan out on site, whether we could source staff that were familiar with those methods, how they interracted with other elements of the building and such, his consideration was almost always exclusively price driven. At times he was so passionate with such obscure things that I was convinced he just had shares in some of these companies so he was determined to do everything he could to get them to site whenever he could.

£250k isn't as bad as I'd imagined in fairness.

If you based it around the figures I used previously of £52k for a traditional build, say double the £10k for that Russian bungalow to get a 2 storey house at £20k if you're using the big 3D printer and you've paid it off in 8 houses, maybe need a couple more to pay for some training off staff or whatever but it's a pretty quick return when you've got companies capable of churning out some big developments.

Could be a useful altenative for smaller projects like housing, imagine it could get a bit tricky if you're building something bigger and relying on several of these machines to construct different parts of it simultaneously with it all coming together as it progresses. I'd be interested to see it done, see what requirements they'd need on site for it to be achievable, what sort of conditions they can work in, working space that's required, etc. We used to have an estimator at my old work who was always dead keen on pushing new products when he was pricing jobs but he never gave any consideration to how it was actually going to pan out on site, whether we could source staff that were familiar with those methods, how they interracted with other elements of the building and such, his consideration was almost always exclusively price driven. At times he was so passionate with such obscure things that I was convinced he just had shares in some of these companies so he was determined to do everything he could to get them to site whenever he could.

That is why you research the logistics on a pilot. I was impressed at the contemporary look of the printed house. If you are building them at the rate of 1 a day and a machine costs 250k( just following your guess) you can churn 1200 houses out in a year with 4 machines.That's a small town or big village and much quicker than traditional. Remember my original point was to find something quick enough and cheap enough to deliver quality houses or homes that people want to live in. I would happily live in one of those.

Perhaps we should send the link to Steve Morgan for his view? You never know lol! Some company somewhere in the UK will launch something like this I believe and it could be the answer to so many things.

Imagine you buy a small plot of land with planning permission. A short time later you can have your house built. It may mean that there needs to be more designs so it is easier to blend with existing developments but even if the company charged 25 k making a 15 k profit the time taken on site would and should be reduced. That means you can build more, quickly.

So in short people, there are a number of low cost alternative's that could alleviate the housing problem. I feel a petition coming on

That is why you research the logistics on a pilot. I was impressed at the contemporary look of the printed house. If you are building them at the rate of 1 a day and a machine costs 250k( just following your guess) you can churn 1200 houses out in a year with 4 machines.That's a small town or big village and much quicker than traditional. Remember my original point was to find something quick enough and cheap enough to deliver quality houses or homes that people want to live in. I would happily live in one of those.

Perhaps we should send the link to Steve Morgan for his view? You never know lol! Some company somewhere in the UK will launch something like this I believe and it could be the answer to so many things.

Imagine you buy a small plot of land with planning permission. A short time later you can have your house built. It may mean that there needs to be more designs so it is easier to blend with existing developments but even if the company charged 25 k making a 15 k profit the time taken on site would and should be reduced. That means you can build more, quickly.

Think your numbers might need knocking back a little, that was only a pokey little bungalow in a day so I'd call it 2 days per house for a 2 storey version and you're going to get 250 working days per year at best realistically so maybe just under 1000 per year from 4 printers, but that's still a big increase on what you'd be churning out via traditional methods if you had 4 gangs of bricklayers. I still don't see it being quite so simple though, what needs to be in place before the 3D printing can start? Do foundations and ground floor slab need to be done by conventional methods beforehand? What conditions can these machines work in? Are they going to spend half their time getting turned off and covered because it's starting to rain a bit?

For the time being I think offsite methods are still probably favourable for speeding up your programme on site, you could certainly make use of 3D printing technology in a controlled factory environment to speed up conventional offsite methods and potentially slash the current long lead in times that are associated with them.

It could take a lot of time to get in place though, there are already massive skills shortages in construction with existing methods, you're only going to exacerbate that issue if you're looking to shift completely away from those skills and have to train everyone all over again but again, with proper foresight that could be taken into account and planned for. We had a similar issue with one of the many alternatives suggested by our old estimator, a product called Porotherm which is a claybrick alternative to blockwork not unlike what's often seen in Southern Europe but don't use conventional mortar so it should be quicker on site and give a cost saving through time saved, however very few bricklayers had been trained to use the system and so it ended up either being impossible to get anyone to do the work or they'd put a huge premium on their services for doing the work.

Douglas carswell has quit ukip to stand as an independent mp.

I'm a fan of his - he's a straightforward guy, excellent constituency mp and stands up for his beliefs.

Was always an odd marriage. You can see how their libertarian attitude would chime, but marrying his social liberalism with their more... controversial... attitudes was always going to be tough.

Always seemed quite a nice guy, so was clearly in the wrong party.

Effectively killed them off as a party...hopefully

I think so yes. Looked like some of the UKIP donors were not happy at all, and as soon as Farage alleged that he was campaigning against UKIP then his time with the party was limited unless he wanted to try a coup (which he never would as leadership doesn't interest him).

I am actually quite glad because Carswell is by all accounts an excellent constituency MP for Clacton. It would be a shame for the constituents if he was no longer there.

Hopefully that racist toad Banks stands against him and gets annihilated.

Maybe Farage thinks it will be eighth time lucky?

Will there be a by election now Carswell has left UKIP? There certainly should be.
Don't think so. You can change party and remain in place. I guess we have a system of voting for the person not a party, though obviously that's not what happens in practice.

The only reason UKIP have an MP is because of Carswell's support locally. He'd win again even with a by election. Even though Carswell says there won't be one, I hope there is so that Arron Banks can show himself up for what he is on a wider stage.

Back