• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

Right

Elections where I would think there was a fair jump either left or right:

1929 - Ramsay Macdonald wins for labour
1945 - Attlee wins for Labour
1964 - Harold Wilson wins for labour from "never had it so good" Macmillan
1970 - Edward Heath ousts Wilson for a Conservative government
1979 - Margaret Thatcher wins for the Conservative party.
1997 - Tony Blair wins for the centre (effectively)

poverty statistics in all those years please, along with stats in other years to show they were poverty outliers. Still waiting.

I agree. It did have, but it hasn't anymore. Poverty and living standards did have something to do with the rise of UKIP in my opinion.
People spent pages saying there was no poverty. Then they started blaming the poor for spending their money on Sky TV instead of paying bank debts. Then some admitted there was poverty ect ect.
The personal attack are a direct result of Penk admitting he lied, then It wasn't a lie , then it was a joke, ect ect.

Not one word was said about it. laughable.
His chums are trying to get revenge. So now its not about UKIP but me.

Don't worry. Most the people who are having ago are the ones who have had a bad day in this debate.

I stick with what I have said. Poverty and living standards have increased UKIP's vote.
Feel free to jump in darlo. Haha

So, you do blame immigration for the poverty and poor living standards.

So who's to say the immigrants coming to the UK are taking the jobs of UK citizens then? If you can go to another country and get yourself a job without hampering the chances of the existing population then surely it's possible for the UK to welcome and emlpoy immigrants without reducing the chances of UK citizens to find employment too?

I think you will find that both the Tory party and Labour party have complained about some UK companies employing immigrants without offering jobs to people in the UK .
That means they were taking jobs directly from people in this country. I don't blame the immigrant, but the multinational.
Do you defend this?

So, you do blame immigration for the poverty and poor living standards.

No I blame directly all UK political parties who have been in government over recent years. They have pandered to the multinationals, who I also blame at the expense of the working man.

I think you will find that both the Tory party and Labour party have complained about some UK companies employing immigrants without offering jobs to people in the UK .
That means they were taking jobs directly from people in this country. I don't blame the immigrant, but the multinational.
Do you defend this?

I'd need more detail to have much of an opinion, perhaps the company have had difficulty in the past with British works, perhaps they've found the immigrants to perform the job to a higher standard, there could be many variables.

Do you know if your job was advertised to Spainish citizens before you got it? How do you know you weren't given preferential treatment as an immigrant to the detriment of locals?

I'd need more detail to have much of an opinion, perhaps the company have had difficulty in the past with British works, perhaps they've found the immigrants to perform the job to a higher standard, there could be many variables.

Do you know if your job was advertised to Spainish citizens before you got it? How do you know you weren't given preferential treatment as an immigrant to the detriment of locals?

I put up the link ages ago , Mark. It was about Tecos and I think Next. Do you want to see it again.

Do you agree with British companies advertising abroad for workers, without offering British workers an interview?

There are plenty of people in the UK who would work for minimum wage, so whatever report it is, it's bollocks.

I put up the link ages ago , Mark. It was about Tecos and I think Next. Do you want to see it again.

Do you agree with British companies advertising abroad for workers, without offering British workers an interview?

As said, i'd want more detail, i'm not saying that it hasn't happened but i'd want to know their reasons for doing so before making a judgement on whether or not i thought it was the right thing to do.

Lots of countries use foreign labour, take a look at the construction industry in the middle east, nearly all the supervisory staff are from the West and most of the hands on labour comes from further East, that's cutting off jobs for locals at both ends of the industry, you might say it isn't fair but if they haven't got local people capable or willing to do the jobs then what do they do? Give them the job anyway and just hope it turns out ok? Force them into training for a job they don't want or aren't suited to and then wait however extra it takes for what's probably still an inferior product?

I can't believe you're still banging the foreign labour drum when you're a beneficiary of it yourself!

No,

For what it's worth...

Farage and the other right wing extremists in Europe are doing well because Europe’s economy is flatlining and has been for years mostly because we’ve gone from being industrial producers to mass consumers of imported goods. Both to the left and to the right of the political spectrum there’s no simple answer to this problem because the trade borders have been opened and, for diverging reasons, neither side wants to close them.

Unfortunately it seems that a lot of people are happy to accept Farage’s simplistic reasoning, i.e. that it’s all the fault of immigration and Europe. If he wasn't such a xenophobic cunt I might agree with him because the free movement of people throughout the EU was specifically put in place to enable businesses in the more opulent countries to remain competitive and that is exactly what has happened. The backlash we're seeing across Britain and France (amongst other countries) was entirely foreseeable.

The only alternatives to cheap imported labour I can see are either cheap local labour (i.e. scrapping workers rights) or massively reducing taxes on businesses which in turn would mean a much, much smaller budget (so you can say goodbye to the NHS). Both of which are high up on Mr Farage's wish list.

Would I limit immigration? No. But then I'm a bona-fide EU immigrant, so why would I?

As said, i'd want more detail, i'm not saying that it hasn't happened but i'd want to know their reasons for doing so before making a judgement on whether or not i thought it was the right thing to do.

Lots of countries use foreign labour, take a look at the construction industry in the middle east, nearly all the supervisory staff are from the West and most of the hands on labour comes from further East, that's cutting off jobs for locals at both ends of the industry, you might say it isn't fair but if they haven't got local people capable or willing to do the jobs then what do they do? Give them the job anyway and just hope it turns out ok? Force them into training for a job they don't want or aren't suited to and then wait however extra it takes for what's probably still an inferior product?

I can't believe you're still banging the foreign labour drum when you're a beneficiary of it yourself!

Telegraph.co.uk

FINANCE

Labour accuses Tesco and Next of hiring foreign staff on the cheap

Mr Bryant accuses both Tesco and Next of hiring foreign workers in Britain on cheaper rates than British staff

Picture: Philip Hollis

"Labour will ignite a fresh row over immigration this week by naming leading companies who they claim “seem to deliberately exclude British people” from jobs.

Chris Bryant, the shadow immigration minister, will single out Tesco and Next in a keynote speech on Monday in which he plans to attack “unscrupulous employers whose only interest seems to be finding labour as cheaply as possible”.

He will accuse companies of operating policies which “seem to deliberately exclude British people”. In extracts of the speech seen in advance by The Sunday Telegraph Mr Bryant accuses both Tesco and Next of hiring foreign workers in Britain on cheaper rates than British staff."

Telegraph.co.uk

FINANCE

Labour accuses Tesco and Next of hiring foreign staff on the cheap

Mr Bryant accuses both Tesco and Next of hiring foreign workers in Britain on cheaper rates than British staff

Picture: Philip Hollis

"Labour will ignite a fresh row over immigration this week by naming leading companies who they claim “seem to deliberately exclude British people” from jobs.

Chris Bryant, the shadow immigration minister, will single out Tesco and Next in a keynote speech on Monday in which he plans to attack “unscrupulous employers whose only interest seems to be finding labour as cheaply as possible”.

He will accuse companies of operating policies which “seem to deliberately exclude British people”. In extracts of the speech seen in advance by The Sunday Telegraph Mr Bryant accuses both Tesco and Next of hiring foreign workers in Britain on cheaper rates than British staff."

What's that supposed to add to the debate?

Back